Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

anyone want to diagnose this?

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Kate has had a fever for 2 days, between 102-103. She is extremely lethargic most of the day, sleeping a fair amount (napping again which she hasn't been and still tired at a decent bedtime). She has eaten almost nothing today and just ate OK yesterday. Right before bed tonight she said she had a head ache but up until then she couldn't tell me if anything hurt. I was going to take her in today but she had a period of a couple hours where she seemed better but that didn't last and then we couldn't get in until tomorrow morning. I'm was thinking virus but with the head ache now I am fearing strep. Any guesses from the people who have pretty much seen it all?
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i have had headaches before just with fever but with no other symptoms, kinda like what you describe with kate. it has usually gone away within 48 hours.
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you been or done anything out of the ordinary? Any playing in long grass, forest type settings?
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Michgirl - no. It is 98 here on a good day but closer to 105 with the heat index...not much outdoor play. We were at an outdoor concert the night before she got sick but just sat on a blanket on the lawn. Are you thinking lime or something with mosquitos?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    She could have a virus...we had a round of headache, sore throat and fatigue run through here. But she could also have gotten a little heat stroke...I have two that just can not take the heat any longer. It too will make them headachy and tired and not want to eat much. If it were me I wouldn't worry about the food but keep offering her drinks and keep her cool. This heat is just terrible. Yesterday I watched the local bank's thermometer go from 109 to 110...we live in the midwest so that's record breaking for us!!! Hope the poor little gal feels better soon.
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tics are really bad in Michigan this year, I did not know if they were a problem in Texas or not.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    The headache part would make me worried enough to go to the doctor :(
    Hope she is better quick!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    When I went to pick L up at school yesterday she was crying. They said she had been crying for 10 minutes, but wouldn't tell them what was wrong. When I got her in the car she finally said that her head hurt. When we got home I gave her Tylenol and had her lay down. She still cried and kept burying her head in her pillow for at least another 45 minutes. After that she started to rebound. The whole thing was very strange. I didn't realize that 2 year olds could get such annoying headaches.
    Then, at 10:30 last night, she woke up crying and saying her head hurt again. And this time she had a fever of 101.6. She seems much better this morning, but still has a fever of 100.5, so I'm keeping her home and just watching her.
    But of course, a headache and fever ring our "meningitis" in my head. But, without vomiting or any other symtoms, I've been able to come down off that ledge.
    It's a brain scratcher for sure. And I just pray that it doesn't affect her baby brother too adversely. He just had 3 vax yesterday so I'd be hard pressed to know what (vax or illness) to attribute any symptoms to.
    Hope you get some answers, and/or it goes away.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    am i the only person who always gets headaches when i run a fever? for me it's just part of running a fever, and i don't know how many times i've run a fever without really having any other symptoms (digestive issues or respiratory issues). based on that, i wouldn't be too worried about it, but it seems like maybe i'm the only person who experiences fevers like that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Babybaby - I have never had a fever as an adult. I can't really think of anyone I know that has either unless maybe they had the flu.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Happy to say she hasn't had a fever all day and I think I can say is on the upswing. Strep test was neg. She couldn't pee in a cup because she had just gone but I don't think that is a huge concern. She is still sleepy and not eating but doctor said virus and the pattern of fever going away for spots of time on it's own usually means virus and that has definitely been the case (which is why I am not celebrating just yet about no fever!)

I barely slept at all last night as I was listening to her breath. Her telling me she had a head ache and being so lethargic were firsts so I was paranoid all night!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Happy to hear little Kate is feeling better! I can't remember the last time I ran a fever either ... but ... except when TTC, I never check so I wouldn't know!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I'm glad she's feeling better, too! You just reminded me of the last time I had a fever. I was 23 (about six years ago), and it was my very first month teaching, and I got pneumonia! It was awful. I'm with babybaby, though; when I get sick and probably have a fever, I always get a headache. In fact, I've been known to say throughout my life that "my hair hurts" when I'm getting sick. Anyway, get some sleep! :)
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    Ms.KateMs.Kate Posts: 1,216
    edited November -1
    I'm glad she seems to be doing better. I dread the time(s) when my baby will be sick...I'll probably just stare at him and fret.

As an adult, I too I run fevers with a headache (low grade - 99 to 101.5) several times a year with no other symptoms other than utter exhaustion. Usually I just sleep for 12 hours and I wake up feeling fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    okay. . . now i feel a bit better, reading the last couple of posts. :) i looked at this thread yesterday and was worried there was something weirdly wrong with me when i saw shanny's reply. glad to read that kate seems to be doing better right now.