Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

books to explain "it"

babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Our son is about to start second grade and I need to find some books to explain donor insemination on some level. What he knows right now is that he has 2 moms because there is no man living in the house. He knows a man helped make him and that is IT.

2 nd graders know so much more and I want to give him the right info when kids have questions

Any recommendations?
connonandray.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Do you have "Just the Baby for Me"? or a personalized book about your family? They may be a bit young for him but if you haven't introduced the word/concept of sperm it might be a good place to start.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No I don't have that one,shanny. I only have A different Dragon, The family book ans the mommy book
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    KKF13KKF13 Posts: 269
    edited November -1
    There's a children's book called "Let Me Explain" that my doctor suggested for me. It goes over the more scientific aspect of conception and different kinds of families. When I taught first and second grade, I always had a few same sex parents and I appreciated them letting me know what they told their kid and how they wanted it to be handled so that we were on the same page. Good luck!
    tt10f84e.aspx
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I was very excited about the "Let me Explain" book but I just looked it up and it got horrible reviews from a handful of parents. From what they wrote I can see why they were so unhappy with it. So which aspiring writer on here is going to write THE book we will all be wanting to help explain DI to our school aged kids with relation to our own families????
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    KKF13KKF13 Posts: 269
    edited November -1
    Oh no! That's too bad that the book is no good- I guess I'm back to the drawing board, too! It would be great for one of us to write a book explaining DI to kids. Hopefully others will have more suggestions!
    tt10f84e.aspx
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    Honestly, I've thought about writing a book myself, but I'm not a very good artist and am not sure how I would find the time. It seems that there is definitely a market for it, though...including for my own family. Maybe I'll sketch one out and post it to see what everyone thinks?
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree we need just the right book. My son's BFF that also has 2 moms was given grief on Friday at church camp by the leaders. Poor kid he isma year,younger and has no idea of what to say.

What I am looking for is something that explains the dad part better. Kids say to him, " You have to have a dad that made you"
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I think books for this sort of thing or just same sex/single parent/donor books in general are a nice thing to have. BUT I don't rely on them to explain things to my children. I think that you know your child best, what he will and will not understand, terminology that you use regarding anatomy/science, and when and where to draw the line on what level you want take this to......SO I think your best bet would be to sit down and really think about how to start and prepare yourself the best you can for how the converstation might go and how you'll answer his questions.
    What I'm learning is that I tend to think these kind of conversations will be much more difficult than they turn out to be. Kids (my own and those outside of our family) usually accept and are receptive of MUCH simpler answers than I am expecting.
    Also, we speak of the donor in front of our children from the get go so that they hear the word and are familiar with it and over time learn what it means on their own from simply listening to us talk about it and can ask questions as they feel the need to. That way it is never a big deal.
    Good Luck!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks I needed to hear that. I was looking for a book to be the opening to the dialog. Hine sight is20/20. I never even thought o use the ord donor from the beginning. I wish I would have.
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    NikkiDanaNikkiDana Posts: 260
    edited November -1
    We got this book through a Kickstarter campaign and I think it's awesome!

You could use it in EVERY family - donor sperm, donor egg, surrogacy, adoption, etc. It's done very simply and effectively. "You need this part and this part to make a baby. Some people have this part and some people don't. Etc..."

I highly recommend it.

http://www.what-makes-a-baby.com/
    458613_4765341535381_606259581_o1.jpgvkFQm5.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks so much gals. I just downloaded the book to my kindle for 9.99. What a great book! The words were tiny so he had to read the book to me. he really likes it and can't wait to tell his friends. LOL I explained that only adults get to explain how babies are made. what a perfect way to explain it and a chance for me to use the word donor a couple of times. we talked about his donor the other day, but he said he didn't get it. the pictures helped explain the sperm part to him.
    connonandray.jpg