Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Kids and Chores

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I'm curious at what age you start, and what the expectations are. I have Justin do small things I feel he should be doing, but I also see/sense his frustration when I occasionally give him a task I think he should be able to do but he just doesn't understand or won't comply.

On a similar note, I saw a FB post earlier this evening that indicated that the parent changed the wi-fi password every morning, and her kids had to complete a list of chores before she'd share it for the day. I might have to share that idea with my sister who waits on her teens rather than asks them to do anything. I definitely don't want my kids treating me like hers treat her.

Another friend of mine has adult children home from college and they are each required to plan, purchase, cook, serve, and clean up after a family dinner one night each week. I think that's a good idea as well, and that even high schoolers could do all but the purchasing part.

Growing up I had to do my own laundry, vacuum the house, and clean up after dinner starting at age 10. The last two chores my sister and I alternated turns with, and the person who had to load/unload the dishwasher all week got remote control privileges that week in the living room. Earlier than that, I was responsible for putting my own dishes in the sink, folding towels, dirty clothes in the hamper, and picking up my toys/books. I don't remember when I started those tasks, but I imagine pretty young.

So what are your expectations at different ages?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    E has chores already, she has had for at least six months. We call them her "baby job". It's the most completely adorable thing. ;)

So far, she is responsible for feeding the dog, picking the mail up off the floor (slot through the front door) and putting it in the mail bin, putting her clothes in the laundry bin, cleaning up her toys, and helping to unload the dishwasher. She also helps cook by stirring and pouring. At this age she loves it and thinks it's fun and a great challenge. We don't want to miss that window and have her thinking that she isn't responsible for helping to maintain our family home. Now, of course, all of these require encouragement and some assistance from us, but she's getting more and more independent with them every day.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Kate has been doing the following since she was 2 and a couple of months:

Unloading the dishwasher (she puts away everything in the lower cabinets, usually about 1/3 of what is in the dishwasher)

Clearing the table - bringing both of our dishes to the sink for me to rinse and load in to the dishwasher

Food washing - lettuce, potatoes, radishes, carrots, fruits etc. She pulls her learning tower over to the sink to do this. She also makes our orange juice on the weekends.

Taking out trash, recycling and compost - we do this together.

Setting the table - she is usually repsonsible for getting out her own dishes and anything we need from the refrigterator - ketchup, butter etc.

She cleans up her own toys and puts all dirty clothes in to the laundry basket - right side out and ready to be washed (pet peeve of mine!)

She will sometimes sweep, put away laundry, fold towels, dust etc.

I think the key is to have things set up so they succeed. Kate can open our refrigerator and has been able to since we moved in to this house right after she turned 2. It will be years before any of the kids can open the fancy, expensive one at work (I can barely open it!). I'll take my old, white, easy to open one any day. A learning tower also makes help with anything in the kitchen a breeze! All of her cleaning supplies are kept low in the cleaning closet where she can get them herself - broom and dust pan, rags, spray bottlle with water and vinegar.

She also feeds the dog every morning at work.

I expect that within the next year we will move to more "heavy" cleaning - dusting, vacuuming etc as well as loading the dishwasher. Another key to me is to make the effort - my sister says it is just easier to unload the dishwasher herself than stop my neice from playing to ask her to help. She now has a 5.5 year old that goes ballistic when asked to do anything other than make a mess and be waited on....good times! Does Kate always comply? Of course not, but she rarely gets away with it! She's easy though. Last night when I told her what needed to be done she said she didn't want to and I said ok, I'll wait (this gets her every time for some reason - I have no idea why but it does!). I can't count to ten before she changes her mind and says she is ready to help. Tonight I knew she was tired and cranky. After clearing the table I told her she could finish helping me clean the kitchen or go start getting ready for bed. She chose to start getting ready for bed and that is fine because the point of the "chores" is not just so that she learns to do these things on her own but so that I have less to do and more is getting done at once. By her opting out of the kitchen but being completely ready for bed by the time I was done (jammies, potty, brushed teeth) it made my night easier and bedtime within reach.

I love the college kids being solely responsible for meal prep and agree that a highschooler could also do most of that. The key is not to wait until highschool and give them all the resposibilty minus purchasing. Baby steps from here will lead you to a high schooler that won't bat an eye when repsonsible for every aspect of a meal.

Can I ask what Justin is having trouble with? Is he not able to do the work or just refusing? There was a list last week going around FB about age appropriate chores.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I liked the wifi post too! At 3 Shiloh doesn't have any chores but will help me put away her toys if I ask. I call it reclaiming the living room! I don't want her to think of responsibilities as chores because I want her to just do them happily. I'm sure that I'm in for a reality check but ... we'll see!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Justin's biggest struggle is non-compliance in general (probably not chore related). His biggest issue is if I ask him to put away toys he was just playing with. I've tried to help him figure out the organization, bought bins and said to just throw it all in, broken it down into steps, taken away toys for a week if he didn't put them away, made a game of it, told him we can't do the next thing until we finish this job, etc. The only thing that works with the toys is to do it with him and do 80% of the job on my own. I read somewhere that kids don't understand general terms (ie, pick up) but need specific instructions (put the three trucks on the shelf) but that doesn't seem to help.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my supervisors at work, a child analyst for more than 40 years, says that parenting is a series of steps. Doing it for them, doing it with them, them doing it with you near them, and them doing it on their own. I think you're expecting due to his age that you can just jump to the last step, but you can't skip the others. Right now you have 20%, make your goal for the next six weeks to be to jump to 30%.. And then continue. Keep in mind that Juliet will be old enough to start with 1% soon and you'll have a head start with her!

(also, an idea.. My parents used to have us "blitz" the house. Turn on loud fast music and everyone cleans up as fast as they physically can. Sometimes the tedium of cleanup doesn't mesh well with a 3yos natural in inclination for speed and chaos. And then follow up with dessert, or bubbly juice or some other fun treat. It doesn't work for every day, but sometime when the mess is just driving you crazy and you're irritable and cranky it can be just the thing.)
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 2, laney cleans up her toys and sometimes I help her feed the dogs, I never thought of giving her more responsibilities at the age. I'm going to start giving her more.
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited July 2012
    jdiana21 wrote:
    I don't like the word "chores", I simply refer to them as responsibilities. You are responsible for your own mess, your stuff, helping the family, etc.

Exactly. In our house it's called "life".

Since she could walk, Lilianna had to pick up her toys before bed. It's never been negotiable, and there will never be money involved. It's just a part of life.
    And then shortly after that she began helping me transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer, putting her dirty clothes in her laundry basket, throwing away her diapers/pull-ups, etc.
    Around two years old she started carrying her own lunch (to the car/school), helping me take the trash out, putting her clothes away, and cleaning up her own messes/spills.
    Oh, and now that her baby brother is here ..... she is the self-appointed diaper master. She LOVES restocking the diapers and picking out which one we should use at each diaper change.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I am so 100% on board with the fact that kids helping around the house is simply a part of life and I don't consider it a chore. Sebastian has been helping to pick up his toys (or whatever mess he's made) since he could walk. He also enjoys emptying the silverware from the dishwasher (after the knives have been removed by his Moms). Seb will also put anything you hand him in the trash if instructed to do so. He also helps Mom water the flowers in the garden and even pulls weeds (although he still needs a reminder that flowers are not weeds...HA!)

Anyway, you get the idea. At 16 months old our son helps around the house in whatever capacity he can, and it isn't an option, it just is. We all help each other and take care of our home. I also find giving these tasks the title of chore makes them almost negative in a way and I prefer our children to believe and understand the concept of helping out and what it means to be part of a family.

All of this also plays into the love I do have for the Montessori schooling philosophy and those of you that know it will understand that. Seb has many things that mimic our own household things such as a kid sized broom, small wooden kitchen with pretend sink, tools, outdoor shovels and rake, etc. He enjoys using things that we use...so often when he plays he wants to sweep the floor or do dishes. Not only is that ADORABLE to watch, but he is learning life skills in the process.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I'm glad this was posted. Bronx doesn't do any 'chores', I just do everything for him. I guess I should start teaching him to put away his toys in the living room, and in the bath tub. He isn't walking yet but it's not very far away and then we can start learning new tasks. Sometimes you don't even realize you do everything for your child until something like this makes you think about it. Can't wait to practice today.
  • Options
    babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 7 he put away dishes, puts his clothes in the drawer, folds his own socks, picks up his room and vacuums his room, clears his plate and helps in the garden. BUT we had a 7 yr old girl stay with us for 2 weeks and she did EVERYTHING. Omg is it a girl,thing or what? I was able to get so much more done because she was so helpful. she even picked out her brother's clothes and my son's clothes every morning. They of course could care less
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    kittykitty Posts: 146
    edited November -1
    Melisa has been cleaning the toilet, (mind you not the best or with cleaners) but it gives her a sense of duty.

She has helped me with dishes too