Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Racial Awareness in Preschool?

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Shiloh has recently become aware of skin color as a distinguishing feature in people. I had always planned to raise her to think that people are people and come in different shapes, sizes, colors and personalities. Much the same as dogs and cats and birds. You like them (or not) based on personality, temperment, and interaction.

Well ... the universe was not aware of my plans and spun in its own direction. Shiloh came home from preschool one day saying the brown boys wouldn't play with her because she's white. I didn't think much of it at the time and told her that she could play with anyone. But something about that little interaction stuck with her and now she comments on people by color. "The brown girl doesn't talk" (when an 8 year old did not acknowledge her hello). Or "that brown lady is my friend" (after getting a balloon in a store).

There's nothing negative or derogatory in anything she says. But I really do not want Shiloh qualifying people by color. I have tried telling her that we don't talk about people in public but that went right over her head. I don't know how to address this with her.
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you increase your use of descriptive words? Maybe saying "the tall woman" "the woman in the yellow dress", "the man with the fancy shoes". She's at an age to be using a lot of descriptive words and these are just a few that she is focused on right now.
    As for the daycare, I would check in with them and see if they notice the kids being relationally aggressive. If they're not aware of it, they're not paying close enough attention.
    I'm going to ask around for advice on preschool specific curriculum talking about race. I'm sure there's good stuff out there that you could recommend to her program.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited July 2012
    Well, if you look at it from her perspective, you might not be so disheartened (or feel so dethroned).
    In Shiloh's world there are colors, numbers, letters, food, feelings, people, and animals. People reinforce these concepts and make her regurgitate it daily, I'm sure. :)
    And much to her credit, she has articulated that a certain group of people have the same skin color in common, and she knows what color it is. Good for her. ;)
    As matter of redirection, I think she probably just needs a little clarification from you (but be careful not to sensationalize it).

Perhaps:

Shiloh: "Mommy, the brown kids didn't play with me"
    Mom: "Oh, that's too bad, Sweetie. Do you know what their names were?"
    -- This way you are redirecting her to focus on their names, without directly telling her to avoid the color label.

or maybe

Shiloh: "How come that brown girl is crying?"
    Mom: "I'm not sure who you're talking about, Sweetie. Can you tell me what color shirt she's wearing?"

By constantly redirecting her to observe details other than skin color, I think she'll begin to follow that route, without feeling as thought her observations are bad or taboo.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great suggestions Shaeley!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the great suggestions! Redirect with other descriptive words! I can do that :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
    edited November -1
    Wow! Great idea with the redirect. The first time my oldest nephew saw an african american, he said 'What is wrong with that man's skin?!' I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say. Luckly, the man heard it too and came right over to talk to my nephew. He shook his hand (and my nephew immediately looked to see if the color 'rubbed off' onto his hand LOL) and it took all of two seconds for my nephew to LOVE the guy. He really hasn't said too much else about color after that. He just sees people. Unless you are mean. Then you are a 'bad boy' or 'bad girl' no matter the color. :)
  • Options
    kittykitty Posts: 146
    edited November -1
    This was natural for kids. With my daughter we did it by hair color as clothes change.

At this age remembering everyones names can be a challange. So she will come home and say the yellow hair girl got time out or the black curly hair boy it was his birthday.