Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Kitty-Sadness over kitty not coming home

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Our cat didn't come home and hasn't been back for about 2 weeks now. I didn't realize how much Aiden loved our cat until this happened. He's had 3 times or so of where he's just broke into tears saying that he wants Jiggles to come home and he doesn't want Jiggles to be dead. We've talked about how Jiggles is in heaven now, but I'm at a loss at how to explain it any better to a 3 year old. He'll cry for 30 minutes over Jiggles. I was going to wait until next summer to get a new cat, but do you think it would help to get a new cat soon?

I'm up for any suggestions on how to help Aiden deal with this.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I have concerns over your being pregnant and dealing with a litter box. But that aside, I would get a new pet for Aiden sooner rather than later. Another cat will not be Jiggles. But another cat will be a focus for Aiden. Focus on a pet that's there rather than sadness over an absence.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I would not get a cat now. Unless you are wonderwoman or this cat is more of an outside cat. Taking care of a new pet, new baby and a toddler all by yourself does not sound fun.

This is probably a good time for a lesson on life and I recommend the book Freddie the Leaf, http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Freddie-Leaf-Story-Life/dp/0943432898/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344002887&sr=1-1&keywords=freddie+the+leaf
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Have you seen The Rainbow Bridge poem/story? This helped a lot of my first graders over the years when they'd lost a pet. http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/4125166/img/Anonymous/RainbowBridge.png
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    IDK what to do for your son, but I wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear this. I am a cat person. I haven't had any cats for several years. I recently rescued two kittens because I want my kid(s) to grow up with pets around. Plus it is great for my maternal instinct! I forgot how cuddly and lovey-dovey kittens are! I would be extremely upset if one of them got hurt or lost! Oh, one thought, please be sure that if you do get a new kitty to at least get an 'teenage' kitten or grown cat. I get very concerned about little kids accidentally being too rough with kittens. Kittens are little babies that deserve the utmost respect and care just like people babies.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Funny note about kids and kittens. I just adopted a 4-month old kitten, had her spayed, and brought her home. The vet and staff cautioned me about keeping the kitten confined at first and supervising Shiloh with her. Well Shiloh is fine with the kitten. And the kitten is fine with Shiloh. But the kitten runs from me!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Little time to post. My cat went missing & never returned :-( !!! However I know many cats who returned weeks or even a few months later. Check shelters & Craigslist ect

Second when V's Dad died they suggested getting a photo of Grandpa & laminating it & giving it to Z. Explain that he can always be with him. Never use the terms passed away or sleeping. That when you die your heart stops & your breathing stops. Then have the child feel your heart beat & practice holding your breath. This worked well for Z at almost 4 when his Grandpa died & I assume it could work the same way. If your not certain if he died I would not say he is. If he turns up that would be so confusing! If he is sad it's understandable. Just be honest. It has only been 2 weeks.

I also would not get a new pet!!!! I actually had to find a foster for my 14-year/old Golden until my Dad could take her a month later & my sisters took my cat though he was basically hers as well since R was such a hard hard baby. We have a puppy now which I have always wanted the boys to grow up with & I planned it two years ago to get it when R was 2 if it worked out & now works well with me trying for another in a year or so. I do not want a puppy or new pet any time near having a child!!! This lab (10-weeks) is like having another kid it seems!
  • Options
    SquizzoSquizzo Posts: 445
    edited November -1
    I think getting a new cat wld be fine. That whole litter box thing I read is an issue in first tri and if you have never been around said cat. If its a cat u had before, u are immune to the possible parasite issue (unless he goes outdoor) first tri or not. Just what I read
    Older,heartier cat might be safer for aiden but if he was gentle with other cat than hell prolly be fine either way. Cats are easy to care for so I don't think it will b an issue for you to care for it with toddler and new baby. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the loss. Love animals! And a new cat will definitely help fill the void. Look forward to seeing kitty pics if u decide to get one. :)
    ceb56f15.jpg

bDJqm8.png