Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Lindsay

cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
just wanted to thank you again for the gluten free lunchables idea!my daughter LOVES them!her 1st day is tomorrow and that is what she wants her in lunch box :) i found the glutino crackers and hormel lunch meat but we're using regular american cheese.my next goal is to take dairy out of her diet but for now i'm still slowly doing away with all gluten.
yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    LindsayLindsay Posts: 201
    edited November -1
    Your welcome!!! Sorry it took me so long to answer..I don't get on here as much but try at least once a wk..:)) Anything to make these kiddos feel like they are eating normal fun foods like everyone else is worth it!! don't forget to try her on the pizza ones too..Lily loves them!!
    Lindsay xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh and by the way..I read that you said she reacts horribly to soy sauce..Most soy sauces have gluten in them..They do have some that are marked gluten free..If you have a PF Changs they have an awesome gluten free menu:)) I love them...
    Lindsay xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lindsay wrote:
    Oh and by the way..I read that you said she reacts horribly to soy sauce..Most soy sauces have gluten in them..They do have some that are marked gluten free..If you have a PF Changs they have an awesome gluten free menu:)) I love them...

THEY HAVE GLUTEN FREE SOY SAUCE!!!?????
    lol.def have to find some.we're some serious rice eaters in this house.my mom tells me it was my 1st solid food(not the infant cereal,actual rice :)
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited August 2012
    La Choy is the brand of soy sauce we've been getting. There may be some better brands (we like this one just fine), but we don't have a lot of options around here and that's the one we've found with no gluten.

I don't know what tips you've gotten already (missed that thread) but be sure you check any seasoning mixes or processed anything you get. We don't buy a lot of processed stuff now, but some of the ones we do get, it depends on the brand as to whether it's gluten free or not. Like, El Paso taco seasoning is fine and some others are not.

We don't use any cereals for E that are not certified gluten free, even if they don't specifically contain gluten. Cereals must say gluten free for him. We tried Quaker oatmeal (which is often contaminated with gluten) and he had the stupid rash for 2 weeks. Not all react to that small an amount, but some do so I just wanted to mention it.

We've tried the gluten free Bisquick (for quick pancakes/waffles/biscuits) and it's good. We did add a few chocolate chips though, lol. There is a texture difference, but it's not bad. We're going to try the Bob's Red Mill kind next. I read good things about it and E loves the, I think it's called "Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal", which is very similar to grits. One day I might get up the nerve to buy some different flours and make a mix from scratch BUT like I said, we don't have a lot of options here at all.

For the most part, we just eat stuff that's naturally gluten free (fresh foods, basically). It was very intimidating at first, I will admit! Even now, when it comes to lunch, I get totally stumped for some reason. Breakfast and dinner have been much easier for us for sure. Overall though, it isn't bad at all. It's just the way we do things now.

We tried to just keep E gluten free, but his brothers eat like pigs and we couldn't keep stuff out of the floor. Even after sweeping the floor, him crawling in that area would break him out. That wasn't a HUGE deal, since a bath would take care of it within a few hours. But how a baby can find the 1 piece of dropped bread in the floor that didn't get swept up is beyond me! When he eats it, the rash stays for weeks. So it was necessary for us to make the whole house gluten free. E is tr also dairy free. We did a dairy trial this past week and it did not go well!

Anyway, good luck with it!
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bobs red mill is delicious!! I love all the Bobs Red Mill gluten free mixes that I have found. Also, not sure if you know this, you probably do, but make sure you have seperate peanut butter for the gluten free eaters bc peanut butter can easily get cross contaminated from a knife that was used on regular bread or crackers.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cAtWmN84 wrote:
    Lindsay wrote:

THEY HAVE GLUTEN FREE SOY SAUCE!!!?????
    lol.def have to find some.we're some serious rice eaters in this house.my mom tells me it was my 1st solid food(not the infant cereal,actual rice :)

LOL...Yes they do..But soy sauces are tricky..BE sure to make sure it is labeled gluten free..I use San J Organic gluten free when I need it around it...I find it at Kroger and Whole Foods..By the way Congrats on a BFP and Adri's great first day of school!!!
    Lindsay xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i'm going to the store later to get gluten free soy sauce.lol.my girl loves fried rice and veggies so we'll prob have that for dinner :)

adri has serious behavior issues after eating maple brown sugar quaker oatmeal.she loves it but there's no way i'll be giving it to her anymore.she was fine with it as a baby but gradually got worse as she got older,just like all the other gluten foods i'd been feeding her.there is one brand that i love and she didn't seem to have any issues with it.its more natural and the texture is different.its really good.some of her worst reactions are after having slushies and the other day we celebrated by going to krispie cream.that fun day turn out to be the worst day ever :( i don't think there is any gluten in slushies but i'm guessing they're full of corn syrup.

i think i've seen bob redmills.we'll give that a try too.
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those slushies would have sent Lily over the edge too..Not just the corn syrup but the food coloring..They turn her into a maniac:(( We avoid at all costs....
    Lindsay xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quaker oatmeal isn't gluten free:(( I wish... Buy some gluten free oats(Bobs sells some) and add your own maple syrup and brown sugar...She will probably still love it..To get the texture of Quaker grind the oats in your blender to make them smaller so the oatmeal will be smoother in texture after cooked...
    Lindsay xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so we had one of out family favs last night.corn bread,potatoes & allens green beans and i use a tiny bit of bacon grease to flavor the beans and potatoes.this time i used the bob red mills corn bread.i was not expecting much.its so good!so far,very impressed with bobs red mills! i also got the chocolate cake mix to try :)
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We love the chocolate cake mix. There is also a brand of gluten free foods called Pamelas they have the best gluten free cake mixes and cookies that I have had so far.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Use that corn bread to make corndogs if Adri likes them!!! I buy Oscar Meyer regular Turkey Dogs(gluten free:)) Make up the cornbread mix..I thin it a bit with rice milk(Lily is dairyfree as well)..Put those dogs on soaked skewers..Use a tall cup to put the batter in and completely coat the dog with batter..I use my deepfryer to fry them up...Lily loves them for a treat sometimes:)) And they freeze great!!

I also use the same idea for breakfast on a stick..I use King Aurthur gf pancake mix(it has a wonderful maple flavor) and Tennesse Pride Natural Turkey sausage links..I put two sausage links on the skewer and dip in pancake batter and deepfry..I give her a small cup of maple syrup to dip..Sometimes I make with just one sausage link and no skewer..Bit more messy but she loves them too...:))
    Lindsay xx
  • Options
    SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We already use (and love) the Oscar Meyer turkey weenies. We will have to try those corndogs...my kids would love them! Gotta get a new deep fryer first though!
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have made them in a deep round fry pan too...Just pour the oil in and let it get hot..The only prob with doing it this way is what the heck do you do with all that oil afterwards:)) It is getting easier and easier to be gluten free..Def easier now for me with Lily than it was when my son was young(he is 22) and gluten free...
    Lindsay xx