Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Second Betas & Third Betas *UPDATED*

Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
edited August 2012 in Pregnancy and Babies
Ok, so 2nd betas came back at 250 on 16dpiui, which is not double our 14 dpiui betas of 149. Nurse said 250 was fine and we have to go back for a 3rd beta test on Friday.

How concern should we be that it fell short of doubling?

Update: 3rd Beta taken this morning. The nurse taking the blood was very negative, it put us both in a bad mood. The results: 442. The nurse who called said it was good. We are doubling at 59 hours and fall in the 75% bracket, which is normal. It is an increase from the last time, so that is good, but of course I wish it was doubling much closer to the 48 hour mark. But, it is out of our control, nothing we can do except wait (easier said than done!).

Thanks everyone for your responses!
183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    LovingMomsLovingMoms Posts: 1,078
    edited November -1
    Hi Jen. Sorry your numbers did not fully double. At this point unfortunately it can go up or down. I'll be sending some positives vibes your way. In our experience doubling is not a good sign.
    July 2011 BFP, miscarried at 5 weeks.
    aW7Dm4.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes please stay positive our 2nd beta had doubled from our first but our 3rd didnt double and the 4th had gone down. I am not trying to be mean, im just being honest. It could just be a slow grower. Fx for you
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Did you do your betas at approximately the same time of day?? A difference of several hours could account for some of the difference.

I know it's so hard not to worry when things aren't going the way we are told they "should". Just try to stay positive and know that many babies and bodies have defied the odds - your baby may just be a slow starter :)
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Beta doubling time at this stage is 48-72 hours and since yours was closer to 48 there is a very good chance that everything is just fine. We just went through this with my bff, pretty much the exact scenario. She hounded the nurse to go for a 3rd beta at the 72 hour mark and her numbers were great. A week later (last Friday) it was 3005 (they had previously been lower than your numbers). We googled like crazy, found charts that determine your doubling rate or percentage and realized that it was not at all a lost cause and that was why she got the 3rd beta when they wanted her to wait several days like you. If it will save your sanity I'd ask to go in sooner. Also look for those calculators online and you might find that your doubling rate was in the 60th% which is what I believe they look for at least around the 48 hour mark. Good luck!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you ladies. We are definitely remaining positive.

Otherlovingmoms - no worries, I'm here to get honest opinions and experiences. Thank you for sharing yours.

Shanny: Last night I actually started doing research and found a calculator. As you state, we are in the 68% which is considered normal. So we do feel a lot better. Thank you for sharing your experience with your bff.

Also, the timing of the beta was at the 47 hour mark, instead of 48, but not sure one hour would make that much difference. However, I did find a lot of articles/experiences, etc that say 48 to 72. So we will see what the results of the next beta tell us.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    Keep positive thoughts!
    When I had my first beta the lab tech told me it was real important to have my second draw done at the exact same time.
    But my first beta is still lower than what most people here have been getting lately, it was just 45 at 13dpo but at 15dpo it was 102.7 so it doubled but still isn't in the high range that I have been seeing from some recent posts.
    So I guess they can all be different. My nurse said my numbers were good.
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I was thinking like Shanny, that the numbers double every 2-3 days. So you're still in the zone!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    Ms.KateMs.Kate Posts: 1,216
    edited November -1
    I will be thinking of you. :)
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Any update from today? I was thinking of you and hope you got great news :)
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    wishing2bmomwishing2bmom Posts: 301
    edited November -1
    Hope everything works out! I remember when I did my betas they did not double within 48 hours I believe it was more like 72, can't remember but everything worked out anyway : )
    February/March - IVF #1 (3/2/12 3DT 2 perfect 8 cell embryos)
    IT'S A GIRL!!! EDD 11/21/12 - Born 11/16/12 via C-Section
    3afFm5.png
  • Options
    scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    Did your Dr. say those numbers are OK? If so, then good! I hope things continue smoothly.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    LovingMomsLovingMoms Posts: 1,078
    edited November -1
    I'm happy that your numbers are going up!!!!! That is so important. Keep positive and I'm thinking of you.
    July 2011 BFP, miscarried at 5 weeks.
    aW7Dm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Numbers going up sound good to me! Are you going to go for an ultrasound at 6-7 weeks?
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Shanny - I updated the top post with the new numbers & thanks for thinking of me! (3rd Beta is 442 up from 250)

Zen - We are scheduled for an ultrasound shy of the 7 week mark -- but our next hurdle with our insurance. Hopefully that headache can be resolved prior to that appointment, otherwise we will have to push it back because the Drs. office will charge us $600 for the ultrasound! This place is a cash cow.

Sci - the doctor? what doctor? we can NEVER speak to the doctor, it is always the nurse. And it depends what nurse you speak with. The one that called us with the results said it was great. We are definitely not using this fertility clinic for baby #2.

We are considering doing a 4th beta just for peace of mind.... not sure yet! I'm editing this to say we HAVE decided to take at 4th Beta on Monday morning which will be the 72 hr. mark.

Thanks everyone :)