Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

What would you do about this?

Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
edited August 2012 in Parenting and Life
Mika is a little late to the game and just learned how to roll over from her back to her tummy. She's been sitting unsupported for months and has been able to get from her belly to sitting for a couple weeks. Well she decided to put these all together in her crib and the second i lay her down in her crib she rolls onto her tummy and sits up. Then cries. This started yesterday for her first nap. I had FINALLY gotten her to sleep in her crib without any protest at all. She would wake up a couple of times at night but would go right back to sleep after either a bottle or just me picking her up then laying her down again. She would take two or 3 naps that were anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes.
Well now that she's sitting up in her crib, she's fighting sleep for over an hour each time i put her down in there. Ive tried leaving her and she just screams. I've tried flipping her over but by the time I'm out of her room she back up. Ive tried just letting her cry. Ive tried rocking her- she wants no part of that. Ive tried standing in her room and laying her back down every time she gets up. Ive tried holding my hand gently on her chest FOR AN HOUR lol and nothing, she just patted my hand the whole time. I did all this for a total of over 3 hours last night, and naps so far are no better. She did finally fall asleep for morning nap sitting up so i quietly laid her down but she only napped a half hour. Have any of you with older kids had this problem? I know when they get a new skill they tend to practice in their sleep sometimes but how long can i expect this to last? How would you handle it? I don't want to move her back into my bed because she doesn't sleep well there, I'm a distraction and she will poke, kick and talk to me forever instead of sleeping. HELP!

I wanted to add that after everything my inclination is to just leave her as long as she isn't stuck in the bars or something so she can figure out how to get to sleep on her own again.

Comments

• Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    it might sound harsh, but it's all about calmly and systematically breaking the child's will. ha!
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Exactly what coryandamanda said...sleep patterns change often drastically with new milestones...this wont be the only time. Hang in there and just keep doing whatever works best under normal circumstances.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Yes, what coryandamanda said! And on that note something that you can do to speed these things up is help her to practice going from sitting to laying down by herself during play time. Say she is sitting up in the middle of the floor - physically show her how to get to laying down by putting out her arms and then twisting her hips so she lays flat. Does that make sense? I also find that a catchy little phrase always helps them to remember and perform a trick! When I taught Kate to back off of my mattress on the floor or any of the kids to go down stairs I say "back, back, back" in a silly little voice. That way even if I am across the room I can say it and they remember what trick goes with that! So just be really anumated and say "arms out, tummy down...night night" and make a big deal out of it.

Also, wear her out. Fancy new tricks trump sleep for a average tired little baby, but one who has had an exhausting morning of learning and moving will be less likely to fight it!

Also remember that like others said this will happen repeatedly with new milestones so it is a good time to figure out what works for you, how many minutes you are comfortable leaving her to figure it out, how may times you'll go back in, how long before you'll give up! etc.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Yeah, not sure you're gonna win this one.
    My only thought is to pick one response and stick with it. After a few days of a consistent response from you she'll start to adjust to the situation.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've definitely found it to be true with everything else that once you run out of ideas it works itself out and also once you get used to something it changes!! Yesterday I couldnt get her to nap no matter what so I finally put her in the car for a nap and drove around forever. Last night was a lot better. She still woke up a ton but when she popped up 45 minutes after she fell asleep for the night I waited 15 minutes after she started fussing to go in. I decided if she's not crying I'll leave her but go in after 15 minutes of crying. After the third 15 minutes she was so upset I snuggled her til she calmed down then she laid down and went to sleep. She didn't really cry much the other times she woke up nor did she sit up too much. She did roll over to sleep on her tummy a few times which I'd be ok with at this point but she literally was face down sleeping. That makes me nervous especially because she was so exhausted.