Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Aerosol sprays

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Does anyone have a good link or resource for the dangers of aerosol sprays?

Kate's school asks that we provide them with bug spray and sunscreen or apply it before school. I generally do both. This summer for camp the literature specifically asked for "spray" sunscreen to make it easier/faster for the teachers to apply it to the kids before going out. Why I feel their pain on the application of sunscreen to mutiple kids, I go out of my way to use nothing in aerosol spray cans and as far as I know most aerosol sunscreens are the ones with toxins in them. So while I pay $20 a bottle to put non toxic sunscreen on my kid she is still directly in the path of and breathing in toxins (only way to get it in her fatser would be injection!)

Vent over. If anyone has a reputable source on this issue I'd be grateful! TIA
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/hall-of-shame-whats-wrong-with-the-sunscreen-protection-business/

Scroll down a little bit and they talk about the warnings that these sprays will require. Might be helpful.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I don't have a link for the dangers, but just get the pump bottles! No chloro-flouro carbons and little to no dangers of inhaling chemicals.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not worried about what to get Zen, since I apply before she goes. It is all the other parents that send in aerosols that worry me.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    I worked in daycare for years and LOVED those aerosol sunscreens! So quick to apply. I cringe now though thinking about all that crap we sprayed. We would even do it in the classroom with the baby room attached (not to mention my boss Lysol sprayed the air like hourly). I've done away with all sprays and air fresheners. It's crazy what you don't think about sometimes.

I doubt you'll be able to get them to stop using it unfortunately. I think they should stop making it all together! Maybe could you request that Kate go elsewhere when they spray? And suggest spraying only outdoors? Maybe you could point out on the bottle how it says to use only in well ventilated areas? (I don't know for sure that it does but I'd imagine so). Good luck! I'd be peeved about it for sure.
  • Options
    onmyownonmyown Posts: 300
    edited November -1
    oooh. That's annoying. I am a preschool teacher, and the children are required to bring sunscreen, but I am adamant about the no aerosol thing. I even emailed to all my families a link to the site annerbones posted above. For me it's just not worth the risk, and frankly, it's not all that much easier, considering the film it leaves on floors and furniture that I then have to spend twice the time trying to scrub off! That stuff should be illegal for use in child care! It's bad enough that parents think it's so great but don't know the damage it can do.
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I was going to make the same suggestions as above - request that they spray the others outside, far away from Kate or from the area where they will play. I would have my doctor write a note (since J has asthma) but I'm not sure if you can swing that for Kate.

I know it's not ideal, as she'll be around the kids, but it's probably the best you can ask.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Good luck with your requests! I send in the safe stuff for Justin, but was appalled to witness one day the indoor application process of both sunscreen (mainly lotion) and bug spray (aerosol) while all seven kids hovered around where it was being sprayed. It was gross and it smelled, so how can people not understand bad smell = toxic?
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received the following reply from the Director after asking what their practice for spraying was. While I too just wish they would ban aerosols and out law them, I 'll take this for now, at least I have put the bug in their ear for now:

"Good question. We do spray outdoors, and I will remind the staff to make sure they are taking sufficient precautions to ensure that they are spraying a suitable distance away from other students."
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    onmyownonmyown Posts: 300
    edited November -1
    just a quick note about spraying the sunscreen outdoors: The packaging says to apply 15-20 minutes BEFORE sun exposure...do they go back inside for 15 minutes before playing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I apply Kate's sunscreen and bug spray before she goes so I don't have to worry about the lag time. They do encourage all parents to do so.
    image_zps64579b54.png