Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Hairclips that work

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I'm still new to being a "mom to a girl" and need help with these long bangs that are taking FOREVER to grow. They go down to her nose. I've considered bangs believe me. Her hair is long for a 14 month old, and everyone says it's so pretty, yada yada - but it's driving me crazy. Even if I was ready for a haircut for her, I've no doubt she would sit approximately 22 seconds and I don't think we would end up with anything except maybe the loss of an eye with the scissors.

So, the question - what are the best clips or rubber bands, and how do you style your daughter's hair? The best thing that has worked is when our summer nanny would french braid her hair down the middle on top. She couldn't reach the rubber band. I have tried desparately to replicate. She moves sooo much and I am not as deft with hair and my hands as our nanny is/was (she's gone now).

I have great little rubber bands but she never fails to pull out the pony tails I give her on the side or on the top of her head. Her hair is still baby fine.

My thought is, we will cut her hair into a "bob" as soon as her bands reach her chin....at this rate we are looking at some time next year. This hair style will definately suit her.

Suggestions?
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Goody has these little black rubber bands 250 in a package for like $2.59. It is the only way to keep Maggie's hair out of her eyes. I to a little pony tail straight up in a fountain formation. Sometimes they get a bit tangled - so I cut the band out. It's not a loss with 250 of them floating around. You don't want to buy the shiny ones they don't stretch.

If I use barrettes (believe me I try occasionally) Maggie ends up pulling them out of her hair and chewing on them
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited August 2012
    We use the Goody ouchless elastics, not the braided or cloth-like ones, they don't get small/tight enough. It doesn't have to whale spout if you don't like that look (we don't), but it is a little more tricky to do. I've also found that the .97 bows sold on ebay from China are the best clips ever. They're slightly curved and have teeth, which is awesome. They stay in E's hair without a band and they're just tight enough that pulling them is not a favorable activity for her. ;)
    I'm trying to convince her to wear a headband, but she's not having it yet. :(

(Example of clippies off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-BLUE-RED-BOW-Anchor-Hook-Bowknot-Hat-GIRLS-CHILD-CHILDREN-CUTE-HAIR-CLIPS-/120970373696?pt=US_Girls_Accessories&hash=item1c2a656a40#ht_500wt_830
    They're like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-40mm-Silver-Color-Prong-Alligator-Teeth-Bows-Hair-Clips-t89-/290763756130?pt=US_Girls_Accessories&hash=item43b2ded262 I don't know why they are great, I just know they are!)
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    K&H thanks for the recommendation - I am going to try some of those :)
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will try the eBay ones, and one more loop around with my rubber bands! BTW - we called those roach clips in high school....
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I use the colored fabric ones and just get the really small ones. I had to experiment a bit to find ones that did not just slide off her hair. I never tried the rubber elastics because I know what those do to my hair!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to recommend an Etsy seller we used previously but their shop is currently closed. Your going to want to get a bow lined with "no slip grip" to be able to get it to stay in her hair. Our daughter is 4 months old and is wearing bows with that lining and they don't fall out.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png