Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Fever help

GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
edited August 2012 in Pregnancy and Babies
My Munchie is miserable, please help!

None of my kids have ever had a problem with teething or immunizations... till now. Ivy had her immunizations on Tuesday, and got a horrendous fever yesterday (Friday) Does that sound like a typical timeline?

Also she started biting me, my nipple, my hand, my ear, my nose, my toes (ew) on Wednesday, and has been clamping her gums down hard on anything she can get her mouth on, so I am assuming she's finally working on some teeth in there. Does fever come with teething as well?

She's basically just all around miserable, she's hot (around 38*, sorry I don't know the conversion) Advil brings it down a bit but not totally, shes grumpy, wants to be held, will only sleep (fitfully) when being held (and I have to stand, and sway and pat at the same time)... she's just not herself. Besides Tylenol, Advil and cool baths, what do we do??

***updated below, but readers digest version, she has a throat infection***
tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!

Comments

• Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Not much advice on how to help aside from what you are doing, but I will say fever does accompany teething often, yet it is normally a very low grade fever. Honestly, the irritation she exhibits and the higher/constant fever sound more like a reaction to the immunizations. Though the biting does tell me she is likely teething as well. Since we mostly don't vaccinate I have no advice on how to fix any reaction to the shots. I am sorry she is feeling so bad...poor baby girl. Hope she makes a turn around quickly and you both get some rest.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Sounds miserable - been there. Maggie always got a fever the day after shots - I started her on Tylenol before she got her shot so that she would be comfortable (I know there are arguments against this).

Teething - it does sound like she is getting a double whammy. Wet frozen washcloths. Advil and tylenol - but you already know this.

I think it is just about getting through it at this point. Figure you are almost done with the shot reaction. Teething could still be a while.

And, put Tim in charge of her for an hour or two and go rest. :)
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    That totally happens to Max during teething. Things thAt have helped us keep him cool are eating frozen fruit, popsicles(we make them with watered down apple juice) and a constant fan on him. Hang inthere!
  • Options
    miaandsabrinamiaandsabrina Posts: 723
    edited November -1
    Don't think its shots, sounds to long ago for that. Teething, ive been told has low grade. Our fever just went away, we are on antibiotics at moment, but no fever. Good luck!
    Our worlds collided and together we've been blessed with perfection!
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    I also think it's teething. G ran a temp around 103 for a few days and I took him to the dr just to make sure it wasnt an ear infection. The doctor said he was just teething and he "prescribed" Advil and popsicles. :)
    I hope she gets to feeling better soon. :(
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Sounds more like the immunization than teething to me. I went to the CDC's website to research side effects of different vaccinations, and they'll say things like there's a 1:4 chance of a fever developing 7-10 days after the vaccination, so sometimes it does take a while. Juliet got a vax on Wednesday and was very fussy Friday morning and evening, and today (Saturday) at lunchtime. Last night we were driving home and a one-hour trip ended up taking two hours because she was screaming to the point that I had to pull over three different times and try to figure out what was wrong, change her diaper, nurse her, etc. She was hysterically screeching, like she'd been stung by a bee. As soon as we were home, all was fine. She just wanted to be held and comforted, and play on the floor. Really bizarre, but I chalk it up to the vax.

That doesn't help you with what to do, but I will say that this was the last of her 6-month shots. I only allow them to give one vaccination per visit and this is the first time she's had any sort of reaction to any of them. When I had Justin get 2-5 vaccinations per visit, he always had a 102 temp for a few days, and he was miserable.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    If the vax was part of a series (Dtap, especially), I think that's probably the culprit. The further along she gets in the series, the more likely she is to have side effects. I'm estimating that she just had her 3rd dose ....?
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all! Yes, this was the "6 month" set of shots, we vax but do a delayed schedule.

After posting this she was just so miserable, and her temp was up to 39* (102, 103ish) after taking tylenol and advil, so off to ER we went... glad I trusted my instincts on it, she has a throat infection :( Only cues, besides the fever, was constant miserable-ness and a decrease in food/milk intake. Now we are to have her on a Tylenol 4 times a day, Advil 3 times a day regime for a few days, and antibiotics for 10 days. I was told to let her have popsicles and basically anything else she will eat or drink for the next few days... which is cool, but the Dr suggested "topping her up" with some formula if she won't nurse, because "you can make it cooler which will feel better on her throat".... think I'll just let her have expressed milk if thats what she needs, thanks... sheesh, older Dr's!

Tim took her out an hour and a half ago... I watched half an hour of TV BY MYSELF while pumping, then spent an hour in the tub, still exhausted, but refreshed. It is such a terrible feeling to know they are not feeling well and not be able to help. Funny how after 3 of my own, 5 total in our house, plus grandkids, plus daycare kids (for the last 10 years!) I still feel like a Newbie at times!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I'm so glad you took her in - a fever over 101 should never be chalked up to teething. I too am amazed that after working with kids for this long I still sometimes question what I might be seeing. I hope you both get some rest and she is back to herself in no time. Formula? Really for a sick EBF baby? Now I have heard it all!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    awww. . . poor little ivy. hope she starts feeling better soon. :( i, too, am a little sickened by the dr. telling you to give her supplement with formula because you can make it cooler. you can also refrigerate some pumped breastmilk. why didn't he suggest that? they'll do anything to sabotage breastfeeding and push formula.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh I always have pumped milk in my fridge, as I pump for another family as well, so I didn't take it seriously, just thought it was odd! Its funny, because out pedi is all about breastfeeding, and so is the midwife, and most everyone in town knows I am going to school (well, starting in January) to be a lactation consultant, so supplementing with formula *just because* when I have adequate supply is just not an option for me.
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, and yet another update, her fever is down to JUST above normal today (less then a degree above) and she's a little perkier. Had a rough night last night, but today is much better. Daddy took her out again for a bit, so it is back to bed for me for an hour or so!

She also is flat out refusing water, coconut water, any fluid out of a cup or bottle, and mostly still playing with my breast, but she when does properlly latch, she's had a few good feeds, seems like she knows what she wants and needs to feel better!
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    i'm glad ivy is feeling a little better. we have been taking turns in our house getting sick for the past 2 1/2 weeks! avery had a fever, poor appetite, runny nose, slight cough, nursing constantly, and waking up 10 or more times per night. no infection, just a virus. we took her in 3 different times bc i thought she must've had an ear infection or something! but no, just an awful virus. i am in the middle of it now and understand why she was so miserable! poor babies. i hear it is going around. oh, and the only vaccine avery had a reaction to was the pneumococchal vaccine. it gave her a little fever for 2 days and she slept a LOT.

i hope you get some rest mama.
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months