Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Diaper pails

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I'm just curious, for those using disposables, as to how long your diaper pail lasted. I feel like our smells terrible, and I'm close to tossing it out and buying a new one. I figure we will be using it at least another 1.5-2.5 years and I don't know if I can make it with this one. The one we have is a diaper champ. It's easy and uses regular garbage bags, which seemed practical to me. I've tried washing it, using stick ems on the bottom of it, arm and hammer, etc. Its sort of like a cat litter box, sometimes you just need a new one. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the munchkin arm n hammer one on amazon.
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    At work my bosses have the diaper genie so it has been around for almost 5 years all 3 girls and we've had no issues. I do hate buying special bags and wouldn't use it at home. We don't even use it half the time at work now because we take the trash out so much! But if you are looking for something that doesn smell this certainly fits that bill!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    We had some sort of fancy diaper thing - it held like 10 diapers. Tossed that pretty quickly. We have used a garbage pail with a pop-up lid for 2 years - same one. I fill it with bleach water occasionally and set it outside.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited August 2012
    I used a cheap Safety 1st one (this one, and actually we had one for cloth and one for disposable diapers: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373657 ) and it worked just fine. We used regular garbage bags and emptied it 2-3 times a week. I know you'd have fewer diapers, and I have noticed that the longer diapers sit around, the worse they smell, so you may want to empty more frequently than necessary to fill the pail. As they got older, if there was a particularly offensive diaper, we just took it out immediately.

ETA: They both lasted the whole time my kids were in diapers - a bit over 2.5 years. They did get a little smelly on the inside, and I would spray the inside with lysol or clean it out occasionally. I figure something that is designed to hold containers of pee and poop is going to smell once in a while, you know? It never smelled bad when it was closed, though.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I bleached (and air dried) the heck out of it as often as I could... and when the diapers became fewer and further between, I just took them to the big trash outside.
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I used the diaper genie for Shiloh but solid waste was flushed first. I think I emptied it 2-3 times a week. The first time was kinda funny. I wasn't expecting a string of green sausages!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use a Diaper Genie Elite with their refills. We've had it since 2010 when our son was born and we are now using it for our daughter. We don't have a problem with it smelling funky. I've wiped it down a few times but we've never majorly cleaned it.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png