Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Potty training questions

mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in Parenting and Life
Henry decided he was ready to start going to the potty about a month ago, which is great! He was very excited about getting started and took to the process immediately - no issues with pooping on the potty or anything. four weeks later, he seems to be backsliding - he doesn't seem to have developed any anxiety about the process, he just doesn't feel like going to the potty. Three days out of the week he comes home from school with no accidents, and the other two he comes home from school in someone else's clothes because he peed through ALL of his spare shorts (3-4 pairs). Yesterday I asked him if he needed to go to the potty and he angrily denied it, then peed on the floor. last week, I caught him doubled up in the kitchen clutching himself and dancing around; he refused to admit that he had to go - when I sat him on the potty despite his furious protests, he immediately voided his bladder with such force that he got pee in my eyebrows :/ What is going on here? Any advice from you moms who have been through the process?
fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    Oh, this sounds all too familiar, and we aren't completely over it yet. My best guess(for our son, at least) is that peeing on the potty isn't nearly as much fun as legos or sandbox or iPad or a book. He doesn't mind being wet. He used to get angry when we would ask him to sit on the potty, but we've finally gotten over that hurdle. This has helped immensely. he really is getting better now, but not from anything we do.
    All I can say is that you aren't alone. Good luck, and when we figure it out, we'll let you know!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. We had that too. Probably right at 4 weeks. We thought she had a UTI because she suddenly was peeing with no control it seemed. She was fine. We took deep breaths, and the control came back.
    Good luck!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Yup, what everyone else said.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    yep... we did that too. fun times.

I told my son (because it was clearly a choice thing), that if he wasn't going to use the potty he'd have to throw away his precious big boy underpants and wear diapers. and he also had to clean up any mess he made (peeing in the living room, etc).

i also offered rewards for dry days - just like at the beginning. the regression didn't last long (and thankfully it was the only one!) but UGH. just when you think you've got it in the bag...
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, here too. Sometimes full on tantrums if he feels pressured (usually by me). Those dont happen anymore, but between 3.3 and 3.10 they were happrning regularly. Still waits until the last minute, and has a much stronger bladder than me. It helped for me to explain that, sometimes, when you pull your pants down and stand by the potty, your body will want to go, even if you didn't feel like ir before. So, before we were getting in the car, for example, I can now say, stand in front of the potty and see if your penis wants to go, and this seems logical to him. Jack is a little older than Henry, but it's worth working up to that for the future.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    pbpb Posts: 83
    edited November -1
    Beckham did this too but I think it was because he wasn't ready. As soon as he was totally ready he never had an accident but he was almost 3. No advice but I wish you the best
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Sometimes to get Justin to go on the potty, I have him go during transition times in order to do something he wants to do. If I think he probably needs to go, I'll say something like, "We're going to go outside/play a game/do a project as soon as you go potty" and he will. I've taught kindergarteners who consistently wouldn't stop playing on the playground to use the bathroom, so catching him before he needs to go is the trick.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png