Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

shades, blides, curtains-need help

emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
we are preparing for avery to move into her room in the coming months and i am trying to figure out the best thing to use to keep light out of her room. she has two windows, a french door leading into the kitchen, and another french door leading into the living room. the french doors are probably going to be the bigger challenge. anyone have these and managed to find a solution to keep the light out, other than hanging a sheet up?

i like the look of wooden blinds but don't know if they will do the trick for either. i like the idea of shades too and i think they might block more light. the roll down shades might work better for the french doors. ugh, i am handy but am SO dreading this project! this is one of those times i wish there was a "hire-a-husband" service...

tia!
IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months

Comments

• Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    You could make a curtain with a blackout shade. Blackout fabric should be available at your local fabric store. Even if you to blinds having the shade would be good.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    We have Roman shades that work really well at blocking light and still look attractive. The company we got ours from makes them in various colors and materials. We had them fitted on some windows in the new house that go from floor to ceiling, so fitting them on french doors should be easy also. I prefer them to the wood shades we have on some other windows, they don't keep light out nearly as well.
    Here is a link to the company and type of shade we have:
    http://www.theshadestore.com/product2/flat-roman-shade
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Do you have to keep out the light? I know that as we get older, darkness is the cue for sleep but ... does it have to be? Maybe you could set the stage for naps and sleeps with other cues like a routine and music. Not that any of this worked for Shiloh ... but then darkness doesn't do it for her either!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    i don't need it completely blacked out or anything, but with 4 entrances for light, it is very bright when the sun comes up. she woke at dawn until we put curtains up in our room. now she wakes anytime between 7:30 and 8:30 which is slightly amazing. we would love to keep it that way! also, the french door leading into the kitchen will be a problem because we often do a lot in the kitchen when she goes to bed. the noise itself will probably be a problem so i don't want to add a bright light coming through as well...

thanks for all suggestions so far. i am so indecisive and don't want to spend a fortune because we plan on selling in a year or two. eyeyieyie :)
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months