Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Stomach Flu?

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Shiloh was throwing up last night (she calls it spilling!) and is running a low grade temperature. And sleeping. It's driving me nuts. I want to take her to the doctor but know there's probably nothing to do but wait it out :(
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    LOL ...... yeah, L threw up at school two weeks ago, and when she retells the story she always says that she "spit".

Sorry she's not feeling well. And you're right, there's very little that a doctor could do if it's just a stomach virus or reaction to spoiled/contaminated food. Sounds like a great excuse to lay low in pjs all day. Hope she feels better soon.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    Is her throat red? Vomiting can be associated with strep throat.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i know we're like several states away from eachother but there also seems to be some kind of stomach bug going around here, too, so what was going to be a fun labor day weekend has turned into a sit around the house and fight over the toilet kind of weekend.
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    by the way, hope shi feels better soon. :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Had her on bread and water today and a little applesauce and she's doing better. No spilling. But lots of sleeping. Hoping whatever is wrong works its way out of her system quickly. Planning to brave giving her milk in the morning!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So Saturday night she was sick. Sunday bread, water, a little applesauce, and a lot of sleep. Monday (today) she had water, some caprisun, then a scrambled egg with cheese ... and a glass of milk. All good. Water in the afternoon. And for dinner a slice of cheese, a little milk, and some peas. And then the child threw up again. What is up with this?!? And what do I do tomorrow? Send her to preschool with a note saying she's on a bread & water diet???
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does your school have a sick policy? I know the one I worked at had a "no vomit for 24hrs" policy. You may not be able to send her tomorrow.
    I'd skip the milk and caprisun, the sugar in the juice and the milk itself could be very hard on her system.
    Good luck!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    PLEASE do not send her to school tomorrow. This is how we end up with posts about "inconsiderate" parents who send their children in to child care situations with illnesses! She should have NO dairy or juice until she is done vomiting, for 24 hours at least. BRAT diet for 24 more hours and then hopefully she'll be back to herself although I wouldn't count out Wednesday as another day at home because kids often need a full day to recover even after any fever and vomiting has stopped, they just need to rest.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was going to say the same as the others. Most schools have a 'no vomit for 24 hours' policy.

I would definitely keep up the BRAT diet (and maybe pedialyte pops, if you think they're a good idea) and skip any dairy or sugar. I've also added in a little (plain, boiled, unseasoned) shredded chicken if my kids seemed famished, just for some protein. Only when they seem on their way back to being well, though.

Honestly, at this point, I'd see a doctor. I know I asked you the other day, but is her throat red or has she complained of any throat pain? I took L in just for vomiting once and it was strep.

I wouldn't send my kids to preschool even with no vomit if they were sleeping all day and eating only the diet you described. Unless they're back to a full diet and feeling well, school is not the place to be. Would you really want to send her to school as miserable as she's feeling?!
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well see that's that thing. She was fine today! Maybe a little more clingy than normal but until this last episode, we'd cleared 48 hours with no vomiting. We went on a nature walk today, shopping, errands, and she was playing happily with the kitten. So if the problem is that I introduced too much food/dairy too soon, she should be okay tomorrow. But if she's sick, of course I don't want her to be away from me :(

PS - no throat pain, no fever. Just a sleepier weekend. And of course this new occurrence of throwing up!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Keep her home. See how it goes tomorrow.

oh, funny story. We were in the car a couple weeks ago and S started coughing, choked and vomited. J started coughing a minute later and L said "J, KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED!!!"
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    She was up a few times last night and that knocked any lingering thoughts of preschool out of the park. So I am working from home today and waiting to see about an appointment with the pediatrician :(
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope Shiloh is better soon
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Visited pediatrician today ... no meds ... was advised to keep her hydrated ... and just wait it out. She slept most of the morning and seemed fine this afternoon. She ate a little bread and fruit with no problem. Keeps asking for milk and cheese and I feel like an ogre for saying no but I'm not risking another episode tonight. So far so good :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Poor girl. Sounds like she needs to stay home again tomorrow, too. :-(
    Jjr6m5.png