Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Major vent - family related, this is going to be long!

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I have got to get this off of my chest! My Mom came to visit this weekend. When she or my Dad comes that also means that my sister and niece that live in Dallas also stay with us. My Mom and I are very different. She is extremely emotional, needs to be needed and I am neither of those things. We walk on egg shells around her because she gets her feelings hurt (and cries) so easily. I have a really hard time being sympathetic to this, that's my personality. Last year she brought my then 16 year old niece and 2 year old niece Jessica (not sisters, the then 2 year old is 5 weeks older than Kate). She saw the teenager pretty regularly at that point and even had custody of her when she was younger. She had/has the 2 year old (now 3) every weekend because my brother and his wife LOVE to take advantage of my mother's need to be needed. She pays for everything for her and her now infant sister. I mean everything - a lot of food, day care/school, clothes, toys etc. So for whatever reason she has to bring the 3 year old that she sees every flippin weekend. I know that she wants to see the girls together but it is such a disaster every time I don't know why she thinks that will change. And because of what you'll read below she has no actual time to bond with my and my sisters kids. So the issues were:

My mother and Jessica have the most dysfunctional relationship I have every seen in my life! My mother claims "I'm just the Grandma" but she clearly has a huge influence in this child's life. Grandma cannot be out of sight for 2 minutes before Jessica looks for her, asks repeatedly for her and sometimes freaks out looking for her. I get that she was in a different place and all that but from what I understand it is like this at home as well. So the whole weekend went something like this - Mom "Jessi I'm not going to carry you, you need to walk". Jessi stops, screams and refuses to move. Kate and I keep moving and have a little conversation about acceptable behavior at these times. Wait a minute or 2 and here comes Mom carrying a 3 year old. I don't mean once or twice, pick your battles kind of thing, I mean 5 days straight, all day every day. Happened with every little thing you could possibly imagine. And the kicker is I just wanted her to give in from the get go so that I didn't have to listen to her scream for 5-10 minutes while my Mom pretended she was going to stick to her guns for once. Of course, Kate (and Danica the 5 year old that also lives in Dallas) see all of this. We have actually been spending less and less time with Danica because she also tends to get away with this behavior and I don't put up with it or want Kate seeing it repeatedly work for kids! It is so sad that she is an absolute brat that I wanted to smack with growing intensity every day because as we all know it really isn't her fault! But someday people aren't going to ask whose fault it is - they are just going to avoid her because she is a brat.

My mother gives Jessica coke multiple times a day, including breakfast, and in a sippy cup. She feeds her ice cream at 11:45 and then wonders why she doesn't want to eat lunch. She lets her eat whatever she wants whenever she wants - the unhealthier the better. And lets not forget WHEREVER she wants. Peanut butter cookies and coke in my guest bed? SURE, why not! (needless to say she licked the peanut butter out of the middle and handed the cookie part back to "Gamma". One night we had corn on the cob with our dinner of probably 3-4 other food items. Jessica ate her 1/2 ear of corn and then another. When the only ear of corn left was my Mother's guess who ate it instead of even trying all other food on her plate? Every time I turned around my mother is putting on a dvd for Jessica of letting her play on her kindle. Did you notice I don't have a TV and therefore do not want my child watching hours and hours a day, plus additional screen time with the kindle?

Jessica has no respect for anyone, any inkling of how to do ANYTHING for herself, will not put the wrapper to something she ate in the trash when asked, does not know anything about picking up after herself or anything else I could possibly think to list that a child her age should do without batting an eye.

Now the really sad part - this child clearly has/is going to have some developmental delays. Her speech is - if I am being generous - where Kate's was last year. I actually sat down and watched videos of Kate from last summer to confirm if what I was thinking was the case. Same goes for her cognition, reasoning, and (again) everything else you can think of - abc's, colors, numbers, and a general desire and comfort level to be taught these things or even just "act like a kid" with other kids. She may have some physical issues related to being pigeon toed as well. Danica and Kate get spoken to many times because they don't want to play with her. It's just like at work with A and Kate and L - but that is to be expected because L is only 18 months and they are 3 and 4. Repeat Jessica is 5 weeks older than Kate. My mother seems oblivious to this and I know that my brother and sil (don't even get me started on her) are as well. I have thought about sending my brother a message with a heart felt suggestion that they get her evaluated but that would be a complete nightmare I can assure you.

My sister and I ended up getting in to a small argument with our Mom - as is always the case. I finally yelled at everyone and said that I know you think I am all too strict on Kate (if that is the worse thing my family can say about my parenting, I will take it!) but that when I tell my kid no I bleeping mean no and for that reason she is who she is and we have not had 1 issue with her behavior this weekend. (of course Kate melted down that night at dinner after going 2 days without nap and of course I picked her up and we left the restaurant immediately). The behavior/discipline was a bigger issue than it might have been because Danica started acting this way a couple of years ago and my sister let it slide so now at 5 1/2 she is dealing with major problems and was called in to the office on the 4th day of kindergarten. So there was lots of advice flying about what to do and my sister was of course appalled that my no spine, coke dealing (lol) Mom had the nerve to give any!

This is a perfect example and sums up the differences in the way these kids are being raised and how the weekend went so terribly wrong. I was doing laundry - it is in my garage. My sister opened the door and I asked her to send Kate to the door. Kate stopped playing and came to the door I said "I need 3 Kate hangers, no skirts, just dresses." She went in to our closet and brought them out to me. We've been doing this for so long and with every part of our lives that it isn't even questioned. I'm really, truly proud of that. Sooooo, on the way to the airport this morning my Mom mentions this moment and says that my sister should be doing that with my niece and she wouldn't be having so many problems. UM, agreed but ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I said so and that yes I agree and that "everyone" should be doing that with Jessica as well. To which my Mom said "yeah but you and Kate just have each other and Lesley and Danica just have each other". She said that. OK, so for those of you still reading (bless you hearts I am feeling better already for releasing all of this) ONLY if you are a single mother (presumably with just one child) do you need to teach them manners, respect, how to take care of themselves and their home and act as part of a family with responsibilities. This is a woman who 24 hours earlier would have let a nearly 4 year old eat a strawberry on my white sofa just so she didn't have to tell her no.

I guess I'm just so perplexed by the whole thing. I cannot imagine anyone raising a child who acts like this and thinking everything was hunky-dory. I am exhausted from witnessing it for 5 days. I'm not really looking for advice i just really needed to get this out. Now hopefully I can sleep tonight :).
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I know you and I have different styles but reading this ... WOW. I hope you can take some time to detox from the last 5 days. And be happy if Kate doesn't ask for Coke for breakfast!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Wow! Your family overwhelms me from afar! Hopefully there isn't another visit in the near future. I'm glad for you that they are now gone. Relax.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow is right! And I thought my week with family was bad, and those were just practical unpacking and design differences.
    I think people get so convinced that behavior is impossible to change that they never start. It's like weight loss or quitting smoking or drinking. It seems so huge that you can't even begin.. And you have to believe there's a problem to begin with.
    Eek! Take a glass of wine out by the pool and let out a primal scream or two
    if you have to.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Wow, people in general who parent like that make my head hurt - I can't imagine having it be your own family and having to be subjected to it for several days non stop! :o

People like that just cannot get it through their heads that children are soooo much happier when they have a healthy amount of discipline, structure and firmness in their lives. To think that I often wonder how/why more and more people these days are so selfish, inconsiderate, lazy and just plain obnoxious... it's because they were raised like this!

Hope venting helped you feel better!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rest assured that you are not alone when it comes to family dysfunction. My nieces son is not as bad but it is his mother and my sister. He has had soda in his bottle well before 1 & certainly expects it at 3.5. I also have many cousins who have done the same & don't even make their middle schoolers/teenagers go to school, how they have not been arrested for truancy is beyond me. But... They get away with it and have set their kids up for the same failure of a life that they have. I have another cousin, a judgmental know it all 55 yr old with no family try to lump me in with said cousins when 5 of us..his wonderful parents, my partner and I along with Laney were going to see Santa and he implied that we would be taking out her carseat in our TOWN & COUNTRY VAN bc there wasnt space for all of us and that Laney so that one of us could hold her and probably had MOUNTAIN DEW in her sippy cup and that he will call the authorities on me and have her taken away.... Are you effing kidding me??? Needles to say, he is no longer confusing me with our trashy cousins who have done the above mentioned items to which he never took action against....i guess find comfort in knowing you are not alone and you are doing what is best for Kate. :)
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    First off, I need a Xanax from just reading this (kidding). I can't imagine how exhausted you AND Kate are. I have learned a whole lot of great parenting "things" from reading your posts and I feel that I have a good bit of the same values as you do. My mom is a lot like your mom except she doesn't cry, she is narcissistic, and manipulative. Our relationship is almost non-existant. I tolerate her so that she can have a relationship with Bronx. One that Ali and I monitor very close so he does not end up emotionally scarred like I was. Plus she smokes and it drives me insane!!! She is the only person in our lives that smokes. She doesn't smoke inside and she knows to wash hands and change shirts when we are around her but it irritates me none the less and she wonders why Bronx can't stay overnight with her like he does with Ali's parents.... Okay I really didn't mean to make this about me and my crazy mother. What I mean to say is I can relate!! I have learned from reading posts on here (some from you) not to put up with everyone's BS and if you feel strongly about something (your child not having coke,etc.) then you have to stand your ground. So thank you for being so strong willed because I have learned a great deal from your posts.
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Wow... you both need to unplug after that visit! My brother and SIL are very similar.. parenting is just not their thing and they are content with that. I find it sad, scary, and mind blowing! As I was reading, I was hoping they are not coming back for a visit for a good while!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    Is it weird that I LOVE reading other people's family drama? Lol I dont know why! I feel for you. I know I'm going to mess up plenty as my baby gets older but man. Some of the stuff I read/see is just insane to me. So many people let their kids run the show or are afraid to say no. I feel like its a tumble down effect really. It seems easier to give in in the moment but then you wind up with an unruly child. I'm thinking about applying for a job at an inbound call center that sells behavior management plans. I'm sure their buisiness is booming with all the parents looking to undo all the problems they've made.

I can't stand having people in my space for more than a couple of hours, how you did that for so long deserves an award or something. I have a friend who I love to death but her parenting style is so far from what my goals are that it's hard sometimes and I question if I'm going to have to limit time spent together as time goes on. Like you said I don't want M growing up seeing the way they are as ok.
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Wow!!! I do not think I would have handled it so well!! My sister would not be that horrible but I'm sure her kids will have issues that I will not want Riley around! I have already flat out told her that I will not allow certain behaviors in my house. I already can not stand my sister with her table manners (non disabled one) and now will call her out right at the table. I have clearly upset & hurt her feelings but I will only tolerate so much. Honestly I do not think I would allow the child back. Given I may respond differently since I'm sure there are a lot of details I don't know. If its my house it's my rules! To some extent I allow things to go but only some. We had someone visit last year who drank too much, passed out while his 2-year old cried on the floor in a house she had never been too this being around midnight!!! He gave her juice 24/7 & kept putting on movies. I don't allow Riley to watch much TV if any at that she so finally turned it off & took them all outside. I would personally be honest. If they came to visit again I would require they rent a hotel. Especially if it was family & my house my rules would be followed (for the most part) strawberry on a white sofa. No way. I don't care who's kid it is. I would also just take over out of frustrating.
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    I think that would be the last "guests in my house" visit. Going forward I might kindly invite them to stay in a hotel.
    I'm glad that Kate got to see her grandma, and that the whole weekend spurred many reflect conversations with Kate about what she saw. I sometimes think those are great lessons, and I capitalize on them myself when we see other kids losing their mind in public.
    Sorry for the dysfunctional family, but I'm glad you have a place to vent where the people understand. :D
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for even reading that mess of a vent. And I really appreciate all of the support and commiseration, lol. There is a very real reason that I live 1400 miles away from my entire family. Anyway - just to prove some people are clearly oblivious my SIL just posted to FB "we are raising the sweetest little girl I have ever known". Ok fine, just keep her in New York State!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Whew! That sounds like a visit worthy of you taking a vacation to detox from it all! Hope your nerves have settled some and that their visits are few and far between.

My sister and I differ on child-rearing as well, but without the added element of the indulgent grandma. I expect Justin to help around the house and instill pride in him for being my big helper. My sis waits on her teenage kids hand and foot. They can't even carry a dish to the sink. And they've given Justin soda, iced tea, hot dogs, chips, etc. Plus the Tv is on 24/7. I know where she adopted some of these bad habits, but the not helping around the house bit was not how we were raised. I did my own laundry, all the dishes and vacuuming, mowed the lawn, and helped with the cooking from age 10. Having a 15-year old holler from the couch, "Mom, can you make me a snack?" is just not cool.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    Wow!!! I see a lot of the same behaviour with dp's family which is why we don't visit them as much these days.

Coke, ice cream, eating in your guest bed and on the sofa? Just wow so inconsiderate to you and showing bad examples to K. That would irritate me too.

Ours don't get soda at all - in fact they've never even been to a fast food place - and ice cream is a treat that has to be earned. Oh and candy too - although I can't remember the last time either asked for any candy yeah!

I don't think you are alone with your parenting styles but one very small caveat - ds1 has delayed emotional maturity. We are not sure yet if that is caused by giftedness or something else (certainly based off his mid-term report card he is close to having all the skills necessary to move to 1st grade) so just bear in mind that some children have issues outwith their control. :)

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png