Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Preschool Q

tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Laney started a great preschool 2 days per wk a few wks ago...we love the school and see our boys going there one day too. The teachers and director are awesome! I always figured we would get her teachers an Xmas and end of yr gift, but do you do bdays as well? Do you include the director? Just trying to figure out what others do since we are so new to this. One of her teachers and the director have bdays this month. I was thinking like a $10 gift card, what do you guys do?

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Does the school have any kind of PTO, parents organization or has anyone mentioned a fund for this kind of thing? They usually do something collectively now in the name of fairness and also so they don't get 20, $10 gift cards but rather 1, $200 gift card. You might want to ask a room Mom or veteran parent.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    It's a little more expensive for me to include every holiday and teacher, as UMAP requires a minimum of two teachers at all times (even for as few as 2 or 3 kids). So, multiple 2 teachers by two shifts (AM/PM), and then all of the subs ... I'm just not that rich (nor interested, really).

For her four primary teachers: small Christmas gift, Teacher Appreciation week gift, and end of year gift.
    From time-to-time I just show up with fresh donut holes as well. :D

For the Christmas gift, last year I was able to get them all the hard plastic, reusable cups with straws, that had their first initial on them. I figured it was a cool way for them to have spill-proof drinks in the class, with artfully marked cups.
    For Teacher Appreciation week, cookies from the bakery.
    For end of year, a card made by Lilianna, and a $10 gift card for Target.

I have not yet included the director, but I will going forward. She is AMAZING. Lilianna actually asks to stop by her office everyday to give her a hug goodbye. As a parent, that means the world to me, and absolutely deserves a token of my appreciation.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    Ms.KateMs.Kate Posts: 1,216
    edited November -1
    When I used to teach (2.5-6 yer olds) the norm was a Christmas gift and an end of the school year gift. Some parents got small gifts for other occasions, but that seemed to be when I received the bulk of them.
    As far as what to get, really don't stress over it. I always found it very thoughtful and kind that the parents would think of me and appreciate me. Common gifts were coffee or restaurant gift cards, jewelry, Christmas ornament, and things I needed for the classroom (I had a wish list and it was a private school so I didn't have a spending budget).
    The school may have its own protocol on gift giving so I would suggest to check into that maybe?
  • Options
    pbpb Posts: 83
    edited November -1
    We also love Beckhams preschool and his teachers. We give his teachers gift cards and a little present (a baked treat,chocolate etc) We also all pitch in for a gift from the class. We do not do birthdays for the teachers. We have given gifts to the director but she doesn't work with Beckham and honestly we do not care for her so some holidays we didn't include her. I'm not sure that was the right thing to do though
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of your input! You gave me some great ideas.
    I definitely want Laney to get into the habit of showing her appreciation for what they do. Today she even hugged both of them when I picked her up which brought tears to my eyes knowing that she enjoys her time with them after just 5 days at school...aka Cool in Laney talk. Maybe we will pick up something simple like a small bouquet of flowers or pastries on their special days and save the gifts for holidays and end of the yr.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Kind of a random gift suggestion, but I love Family Fun magazine by Disney. There are great craft, food, and activity ideas each month for preschool and school-aged kids. Her school might appreciate a subscription to that as a gift.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Shiloh has her main classroom teacher and then one more that seems to switch off in the afternoon. There are holidays that all the parents are asked to sign up to bring something (snacks, party favors), but nothing for teacher or staff birthdays. For Christmas (we're Jewish but the teachers aren't!) I'll do small gift certificates or Godiva chocolates for her two teachers.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png