Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

While using a trigger shot...

stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
DW and I have decided that we are going to try again in March(somewhere around that time0. We are not going to worry about whether or not I am in school, as we will have a lot of help along the way. And with the problems we have already encountered, we are going to keep trying no matter what. We may take couple breaks in between cycles, but we are going to try to keep it going.

My question is about the trigger shot. I was trying to cut out as much cost as possible and was wondering if I could trigger at home when my OPKs were starting to turn positive, or if I really need an U/S? I know that with Clomid (100mg) I get a definite +OPK but I don't know how the timing is affected as compared to taking the trigger before my +OPK. Should I go ahead and get an U/S even tho I was ready to trigger on CD 13 both times? I could have even triggered on CD 12 and my follicles would have been a great size.

I am just wondering if I could take that expense out too since we have decided to do the IUI's at home. Probably @ 24 and 36 hrs past trigger.

The only reason I am even using the trigger shot is because the OB said she isn't sure I was releasing the egg when I was using only Clomid. So what do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    LucyGooseyLucyGoosey Posts: 320
    edited November -1
    My RE won't give anyone a trigger shot without an ultrasound. He wants to give it before you've started to surge naturally so that he's more sure of the timining. I would talk to your OB first to find out if he or she will even give you the trigger shot without an ultrasound.

I pay out of pocket for ultrasounds, as it's not covered by my insurance, and it can get pricey, but it's worth it. At least few times so you know better how you respond to the drugs.
  • Options
    Sconnie.galSconnie.gal Posts: 68
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure you'd need ultrasounds to have the trigger shot. They need to know that the follicles are mature enough to do the trigger.
    EsXRm5.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would definitely have the u/s to make sure your follies are at a good size. We are planning on possibly trying again in early 2013 and my dw thought about doing the trigger at home when opks turned possitive and not doing the u/s monitoring and I told her I refuse to give her the trigger or do the IUI at home unless she is monitored. Good Luck!!
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
    edited November -1
    My OB recommended me to take the trigger shot at CD 12 or 13 because I responded so well to the Clomid. I never would have even considered taking the trigger with out an U/S if she hadn't said that. She is trying to eliminate costs too. She is so sweet, but I am not sure this would be safe.

Thank you all for your input, and I believe I will do the trigger with the U/S. It will make me feel better anyway. Plus, I had 1 follicle the first time, 2 the second time, and I don't want to have 4 or 5 and not know about it. LOL! That would be totally crazy.
  • Options
    KKF13KKF13 Posts: 269
    edited November -1
    I agree that you should get the ultrasound. It is an added expense, but it will help to be secure in the rest of the process. Good luck!
    tt10f84e.aspx
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    I agree with getting the u/s. It takes a lot of the "guessing" aspect out of the equation. In my opinion, it is money well spent. Good luck, stash!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN