Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

At Home IUIs vs. Clinic advice

earrefinnejearrefinnej Posts: 447
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I'm going to work with a clinic to do an un-medicated IUI this cycle; however I'm concerned that I might ovulate over a weekend when they are not open. My NP has advised that I should not do an IUI at home, however I've found many posts indicating that others are doing at home IUIs. For those who did, can you share how you came to your decision and mitigated any risks? For those who only worked with a clinic, what convinced you to only work with the clinic?
v52mnw1ox.png

Comments

• Options
    stash7210stash7210 Posts: 998
    edited September 2012
    My OB showed my DW how to do an IUI when we did one at her office. She did caution us to be VERY careful and to keep everything sterile. There is a link somewhere on the forum that gives you great advice on how to do an at home IUI(I will try to find it and post it). We did it at the OB office the first time because we were scared to do it at home. But after seeing how easy it was for me (plus, I have a few medical certificates under my belt and have taught DW sterile technique) we feel much better about doing the IUI at home. We will still be monitored because I will be on clomid and the trigger shot but we wanted to take some of the cost out of the equation. So that is how we decided to IUI at home. Tho we haven't done one yet as we are waiting till March or April to TTC again. GL!!

Edited to add web page http://theivp.com/ladybusiness/?p=12
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I have done IUIs...sometimes I am able to get into the cervix and sometimes I have had to give up and just use the IUI vial as an ICI...I agree super clean and be gentle. If you have a partner that is wonderful...I do not...get ya a lighted magnified mirror---I got one through Amazon it will help. The reason I chose too was timing. I could control when I needed to go...like you I ran into weekends.
  • Options
    MGoBlueMGoBlue Posts: 18
    edited November -1
    We are only doing clinic IUIs, but our place will do them on the weekends. I felt that, given the cost, I wanted to make sure that we didn't make a mistake. Plus, I had heard that it can be tricky to get into the cervix. And, to be totally honest, my wife wasn't so keen on the idea of being the one to do it.