Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

she seems really tired lately....

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I'm not sure if it is still getting over an illness combined with the transition in to a new school year or if there is something more going on but I am starting to worry. Here's a basic summary:

-at the end of summer Kate was just about giving up naps. She could go several days and would then sleep about 7-7. If she did nap, especially 2-3 days in a row she would be up until at least 9:30, sometimes as late as 11...and ready to go!

-on August 27th she started school and was of course warn out those first few days. I can't really recall what the nap/bedtime was that week but I *think* she napped and was still up a little later than I'd like 9 ish but with a nap she was still getting her usual 11-12 hours in a day.

-on August 29th my Mom and niece came in for 5 days and she only napped 1 day during that time but did shockingly well considering all we had going on, had lots of energy, was super well behaved etc.

-on September 4th she had a fever when I picked her up from school and on the 5th she was diagnosed with tonsillitis. She had the telltale spots on her right tonsil and the doctor did a finger prick blood test which showed evidence that it was a bacterial infection. The antibiotic made a difference right away and I felt like she was bouncing back by Friday. This was a Wednesday and I kept her out of school until the following Monday (this week).

-last weekend she seemed almost "back to normal" until she put herself down for nap at 2 on Saturday. Then she was still asleep by 8 pm that night after a 1.5 hour nap. Sunday she said she was up for meeting friends for lunch but she whined the whole hour and fell asleep the moment we got in the car despite it only being 1 pm and her having slept until about 8 am that day.

-yesterday she had to skip nap because I had a flat tire and instead all 3 girls fell asleep in the car from 4-5 pm. Normally an hour nap that late has her bouncing off the walls until all hours but she brought in her blankets and laid on the kitchen floor at 9 pm. She has been falling right to sleep when I leave the room which she normally chats to herself for at least a short time.

-she has had all the characteristics of an overtired child - been much more clingy, sensitive and whiney than I can remember her being, probably ever. She also isn't eating like the great eater she has always been.

-I emailed her teacher and asked how her week went. She started the email with "other than being slightly less chatty and a little tired..." She went on to say great things about Kate's time in school but that first sentence is NOT my child - less chatty? Kate? Never. There are large chunks of our day where she is acting completely normal and I feel like I am overreacting but other times (like when I google fatigue in children and am then convinced she has some grave disease) that I feel like I am getting warning signs that something is not right!

I plan to take her back to the doctor on Monday. To do what exactly I'm not sure. At least see if there is anything else in her recent blood work that tells them anything. She isn't going to the bathroom more or thirsty all the time (diabetes was one thought), she says nothing hurts since her "mouth" (throat) has healed.

I'm just stumped, worried and hoping that I'm over reacting and she will bounce back once her transition to school has settled.

Thanks for letting me put this all down. Seeing it all chronicled like this makes me certain I need to take her back in to be reevaluated. Plus maybe the "board magic" will have her at 100% by morning :)
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    My youngest just turned 7 and is in first grade. He is completely worn out after school...could be a combo of school and recent illness...
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I bet the board magic will work!

I'm wondering if maybe she's coming down with something else, or her body is still catching up after tonsillitis? We've had a stomach virus cycling around my house for about 3 weeks, and while there hasn't been a lot of, uh, really serious time, there have been quite a few days of just feeling not quite right and being really tired. It's going around my kids' preschool and my school, also. I've also seen quite a few late summer colds and allergies. Maybe her body is fighting something off?

How has she been eating? Could it be a growth spurt? My kids eat more and sleep more during those.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Old Mama - some moments I really think that is all it is but then I really worry I am missing something.

Mel - she doesn't have any of her typical allergy symptoms. I thought growth spurt because she has had some "growing pains", forgot about that in my original thoughts. She has had them before but they were particularly bothersome one night this week where after 2.5 hours of complaining I finally gave her ibuprofen so she could get some sleep. her appetite has not been good at all. She has even refused fruit on several occasions.

I also just remembered that earlier tonight I started asking her if anything hurt - she was tired early again and whiney, melting down. She pointed to her left side/rib cage or right below. After a few more questions she pointed to the same spot on her back. It was really hard to tell if she was just trying to give me an answer or if it really does hurt. Then I just realized that is where her spleen is and we all know that spleen pain + sleepy kids = mono! I really hope not but we may be headed in to the dr tomorrow instead of waiting until Monday!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    I was just going to ask if they had tested her for mono? I've known of a couple children who have had it and those were their symptoms... Around here we would be tested for lyme's disease with those symptoms also...

Of course I don't know but I was simply suggesting things... cause I feel bad for you both and hope she feels better soon!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't she have some problems a few weeks ago? I remember asking about tics then but Texas had been so HOT she had been inside. Has She been fighting this this whole time (just not as severe so not as noticeable) or do you think this is totally separate?
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    After reading your first post, my initial thought was to ask - Mono?

I hope it gets figured out soon.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took her in this morning and they repeated the cbc which came back normal (she had elevated levels a week and a half ago indicating infection). Her spleen was not swollen either. He is thinking she may have a virus, along with the tonsillitis that is keeping her down for longer. She seemed better sleep wise today but her appetite was still not good. He said give it a few more days before running further tests and I'm comfortable with that. Here's to hoping she's bouncing off the walls before I know it!
    image_zps64579b54.png