Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

We are getting married!

cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
edited September 2012 in Parenting and Life
Ali asked me to spend the rest of my life with her about 3 1/2 years ago when she proposed with a ring. Of course I said yes, we had already bought a house together by that point and were pretty settled. We kind of started planning a ceremony and then decided not to because at the time we thought it would just be a whole lot of money wasted on one day and we already felt very committed and didn't "need" that. Well fast forward to now, Bronx is 13 months old. We are planning to move in two years, to a more gay friendly state with better opportunities for our family. Either FL, CA, or the northern states. We haven't decided yet and still have plenty of time to do so. Now that we have Bronx, we see the importance of showing him that our love is just as important as those that can legally marry. I have always wanted and dreamed of a wedding so it just feels right. Not to mention the legal aspects of it for when we move. We've decided on NY and 2013. We haven't set a date, of course Ali wants to go during baseball season but we have about 6 weddings from April-Sept here in Alabama that we are attending and a vacation in June, and Bronx's birthday in August. It just doesn't seem doable. Plus I would love to see NY in the winter :) Ali agreed that we could do the winter months and it seems to be less expensive in January and February, after the holidays. Except for fashion week. I am so excited and can't wait! Ali's best friend offered to come with us, and to be our witness, which means a lot to Ali. I think we will have a small reception here in AL once we return for those that can't fly across the country, lol. I have a few questions I wanted to ask you ladies. I know a few of you live in/near the city or have visited . What area is the best to stay in? What locations would you suggest for the ceremony? I want to do outside but it will be freezing, so inside is an option too. What did each of you wear when you got married/had your ceremony? I don't think I want a traditional wedding dress, we just aren't that traditional as far as the "religious" aspect goes. I don't really want to wear white but I'm not opposed to cream. Ali is not going to wear a dress and she hasn't decided on what she will wear. Of course Bronx will be our little ring bearer and I would love for him to be in the middle of us during the ceremony. Please give me any and all advice you have for NYC/gay weddings.

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about winter.. could be too cold for outside.. But Jane's Carousel in Brooklyn is adorable. We had E's bday there and saw many weddings taking place. Bronx could ride the carousel and it makes for some gorgeous photos!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    No advice for you, but want to say Congratulations! We have recently been talking about getting married and to have or not have a formal ceremony. We live in Wa and are hopefully on the brink of being able to legally marry in our state.

I'm sure that whatever and wherever you decide on it will be fabulous!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    No advice, just congrats! Enjoy whatever you decide and take lots of pictures!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    No advice for you, but congratulations!!! I hope you'll share pictures of your wedding day with us!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited September 2012
    Congrats! I always dreamed of having a wedding at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, but it was like $20,000 just to rent it out. For you Southern Gals, I would plan inside locations for the winter. It does get cold and snowy and slushy there.

Another idea, I have no idea if they do weddings....Serendipity or Dylan's Candy Bar. I am sure Yankee stadium also does weddings of some kind.

I have seen some beautiful weddings where the bride wore a colored wedding dress (like red).

I totally love wedding planning...
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Congratulations! I love all the prep that goes into ceremonies and hope you'll share the details as you go through yours!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    LbakerLbaker Posts: 234
    edited November -1
    Congrats! DW and I tied the knot during a vacation to Boston a couple years ago!
    4470a244-b3a2-4de4-ae57-11b81542c124_zpsdcbfdc20.jpg2ec06ca7-63d1-40da-a28d-1cb24fa3c150_zps63478b0d.jpg
    KrIUm5.png
  • Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, and yay for picking NYC! As it will be you two, Bronx, and a witness, it would make a lot of sense to get married either at City Hall in Manhattan or Brooklyn - that has cache all in itself, and then to spend the money on an amazing celebration dinner somewhere and some wonderful photos. Outside in January/February is MISERABLE - people don't generally do outdoor ceremonies here during those months, but everyone likes photos, and K&H's suggestion of Brooklyn Bridge Park (where Jane's Carousel is) is terrific, with amazing views of the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge and the skyline from Downtown up. Pictures at the botanical gardens or in Prospect Park or Central Park would look Narnia like and gorgeous, too.Also to save money, try AirB&B or such - that way you can stay in an apt. and cook, and probably have more time here than if forking out for a hotel in a soulless part of the city. Also while here, the Brooklyn children's museum is fantastic for a side trip with Bronx.
    Congratulations again.
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Like others, I have no advice but I wanted to say a huge Congrats!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    JebaJeba Posts: 280
    edited November -1
    How exciting!! Congrats!!
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    No advice, but as A&J mentioned we are also in WA state and about to have same-sex marriage passed with this Nov election. We are very excited to "make it official" very soon and in our home state nonetheless. :-)
    Congrats and have fun planning!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could always do like in "The Vow" and sneak into where ever you want to have it and do a quickie ceramonie!!

No real advice but congrats!
  • Options
    Sconnie.galSconnie.gal Posts: 68
    edited November -1
    Congratulations!!!
    EsXRm5.png
  • Options
    LoveShackBabyLoveShackBaby Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    We married in New Hampshire and I wore a really cute blue skirt with a nice blouse. My husband (FtM) wore black dress pants and a blue button-down shirt. Whatever color speaks to both of you can be worked out as wedding attire. :) I think that it is great that you are getting married in a city that you both love and that will hold special memories for you for the rest of your lives! Congrats and good luck.