Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

those with Montessori background (teaching, parenting, attending....)

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
When I did the math I assumed Kate would not be invited to extended day at her school until the beginning of the next school year (literature says children approximately 4.5 - 6 years, based on guides assessment etc). She will be 4 on 12/1 and while they have not asked us yet they have asked others in her class that are just a few months older than she is so I am beginning to wonder if they might not present the option sometime later this school year. It is a new class started last year with twelve 3 year olds, then three more 3 year olds (including Kate) entered the class in January. This year that group is now the 4 year olds and six more 3 year olds have joined the class. So up until now there hasn't been an extended day class at all. Anyway, I am just kind of rambling because I have mixed emotions about it at this point. Her teacher told me in an email last week that she has matured so much in the classroom, become a role model for the younger children etc. so it definitely seems plausible that extended day option may come much sooner than I had thought.

Any input on your experiences is welcome.
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    No experience, but I think I would base it on Kate's own desires/preferences. If she seems hungry for more, I'd do it.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I understand reservations about pushing her, but if Montessori is child-led, then she can lead :) If offered, can you try it and see how it goes? Then if she likes it, great. But if not, could you still have the option to step back to the current level?
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks ladies. I don't think either of us is ready is the bottom line! I may feel differently when they offer in a few months but if it were put on the table now for January I would decline. Money is a bit of an issue as I wasn't preparing for this until next fall. She is also still napping most days and even if that goes down to just a few days a week in the next couple of months I think she really needs it still. But mostly I just don't think we are ready to be away from each other for that long. I mentioned it to her yesterday so she would be prepared and know that some of her friends (and bff) would be staying longer, not be in carpool etc. She kind of shrugged it off but today told me "she didn't want to do that and neither does Harper or Violet". Which might be disconcerting because I think at least one of those girls parents have already agreed! I think we'll be ready in the fall and at that point A will be in full days, L will be full days MWF and it will be nice to have some kid free time finally!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    We are just checking into a Montessori school in our area and I can't wait to do a tour. I don't have any advice but I love reading all of your post about Montessori. Bronx won't be able to start until he is 2.6 years old and potty trained but we are already getting on the list.
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    Our son has done Montessori since three months. He is in Primary now, and although he stays all day, he goes to lunch, nap, and then after-school care rather than after lunch class time. At our school, only five year olds and up go all day in the actual classroom.

I think if you are ready, and K is ready, then go for it.
  • Options
    becca93becca93 Posts: 20
    edited November -1
    We did full-day Montessori as daycare for our three youngest, actually. I don't remember what DD's was like, since that was 10 years ago, but the smallest DS entered the primary classroom a few weeks before he turned 3. They still had naptime every day (although DS tended to go help in another class, since he stopped napping a loooong time ago). DS loved being with the 4 and 5 year olds. Of course, we had to go full day since we both work.

Now we're in public kindergarten, which is such a joke I can hardly stand it. DS is doing worksheets now that are easier than what he did at his Montessori two years ago. He brought home a packet last night, so we did the whole thing in about 20 minutes because when packets came home from preschool, we were supposed to do them, you know? Got an email this morning from his teacher that this is what they are doing for the NEXT THREE WEEKS.

If there was a Montessori elementary program less than 30 miles from here, DS would be in it. We would find the money.
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    I've always wanted my children to be able to go to Montessori school since I learned about it in my early days of college. Anyone willing to share what the costs are of montessori daycare? I'm just curious. Thanks.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    becca - that really sucks. I have heard the same thing from many parents who went from Montessori to tradtional, public schools. We have one public Montessori and several privates to choose from that will take her through at least middle school (there is one that goes through high school as well but we may do magnet schools at that point).

Jen - it really varies greatly depending on what you are looking for, the area and type of Montessori (AMI vs AMS). Kate goes to a primary only school (3-6 year olds) and tution for her (without extended day) is about $5200 for 8:15-11:45. When she stays until 2:30 it will add approx. 2500 per year. I don't know about more of a day care place that would take infants but I do know I think it would be worth it if it were something you could swing, versus tradtional day care.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you get lucky with schooling. There's a montessori charter school (no charge!) not far from where I work. They don't have a preschool though so I'd have to wait until Shiloh is ready for kindergarten to try to get her in. I was seriously thinking about it but the neighborhood schools for my new house are top rated so she may actually end up in public school!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    becca93becca93 Posts: 20
    edited November -1
    Jen727BF wrote:
    I've always wanted my children to be able to go to Montessori school since I learned about it in my early days of college. Anyone willing to share what the costs are of montessori daycare? I'm just curious. Thanks.

Ours was $670 per month / just over $8000 per year for the primary program. It included lunches and all the materials. The transition class (not potty-trained) was closer to $9000, I think, but they provided diapers and wipes, which was lovely.

$670/mo for full-time academic daycare is an absolute bargain in our area, fwiw.
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    It runs around $10,000-12,000 per year at our school. The school is toddler through eighth grade, although there used to be an infant room.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The all day Toddler Program at one of the local schools is $21,000. As you see it can vary A LOT!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    The school Bronx will attend is about $500 a month. That's for 8:30-2:30, includes snack. You have to provide lunch and the toddler has to be 30 months and potty trained. Another school in our area with less qualifications that claims to be a Montessori school, but in actuality is just a day care is $850 a month. It can vary a lot.
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Wow! It does vary greatly! Thanks for the info. I can't imagine paying $21,000/ yr!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN