Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Nanny position- good or bad?

Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I've been looking for a new nannying position for a while now. I work for a nanny agency that places nannies with families. Most of the positions are part time, many kids or not open to a nanny with a child. There is a position looking for a nanny for 30 hours a week for one 9 year old girl. Pay is pretty good. They are open to a nanny with a child. The problem is it is a split shift position- 5:30-8am then from 3:30-7pm, 5 days a week. It is about 20 minutes from my house and i'd would have to make that drive 4 times a day. I would have to wake Mika up at 5 and she wouldn't get to bed until 8-8:30, but could go back to sleep when we got home in the morning around 8:30. So we would get about 7 hours just her and I a day. Do you think this is a good position? Do you think it's unfair to Mika as far as the sleep goes? I figure many parents have to wake their kids early for daycare so is it that bad? What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking ... not good. Mika can adjust to whatever schedule you set for her. But this does not sound like a good schedule for you. Because aside from the driving, the reality is that to be at work at 5:30am you need to be up by 4-4:30am. And then what time do you get to bed? Unless you can train yourself to nap during the day when the child is in school (assuming Mika will nap at that time), you're setting yourself up for major exhaustion!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    This would be a nightmare for me. Long term I don't see how this could ever work for a single mother with a child. Have you met with the family yet?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would see if te parents would be interested in more of a nanny/house manager job. For more money, of course. The benefit would be staying at their house all day, not all of it working, and then you wouldn't have to drive 4 times. The drawbacks would be if you were the type of person who feels like they have to work if they're at work (like H)... Ten you might end up doing work the whole time and feel underpaid.
    It seems like it could be negotiated into a good spot, especially if they want someone for several years.. But you should think about what would make it work or not work for you. I can't imagine getting E up to be somewhere at 5:30 everyday.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses, I knew some people on here were nannies so i figured i could get some useful info. I haven't met with the family or even said i was interested in the position to the agency. The nanny agency i use sends a list of positions then you let them know which ones you're interested in. It's not a long term position, it's through the school year with the option to be longer term if the nanny wanted. I don't think the house manager thing would work in this situation since one of the only reasons I'm considering it is that ill have about 7 hours of the day to spend alone with M and to do what i need at my house-laundry, prepare food for the next day/dinner, stuff like that. That's the only way i could get to sleep at a decent hour. It is DEFINITELY not my ideal position by any means. The problem really is where i live. The positions are usually not enough hours or not open to a nanny bringing a child. I've joined care.com and the wages are insulting for the most part. A recent one was someone looking for a 40 hour a week nanny for a newborn and 2 year old for $200 a week. Chances are good i won't go after this position but i figured it was worth really considering.

What i do like:
    *id have a big chunk of time to do what i wanted.
    *the child is older.
    *the pay is good for the position

What i don't like:
    *waking the baby that early.
    *the amount of travel.
  • Options
    lippysauntlippysaunt Posts: 545
    edited November -1
    Well, I was thinking the pros would be the chunk of time during the day to do what you want, but a con would be not having 10-12 hrs of time for the baby to sleep at night. If she doesn't sleep in long chunks anyway that may not matter, or if she transfers easily into a carseat it might work too. Could you negotiate two longer days a week to do laundry, shopping, a little light housekeeping so it would be a few more hours but you'd still have your chunk of time three days a week? I know the options you have when you're single aren't the same you'd have as a mother.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I'm concerned about the lifestyle of the people you'd be working for. As a mom, I can't imagine having a job that takes me from my family from 5:30 am to 7:00 pm. And as far as the job being only during the school year, it sounds like the child gets shipped away to camp for the summer. Where are their priorities? I don't think my attachment parenting would jive with their style. Just my two cents.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree completely, Kari. I thought that was strange too. In the description of the job it mentioned bedtime routine as part of the job so the little girl probably goes to bed shortly after they get home. I don't know about the summer thing but there was the option for the nanny to stay on year round.

For the record, i decided not to apply for the job anyway. I just don't think it's fair to M to not have that solid chunk of at least 10 hours of sleep not to mention being rushed to bed right after coming home.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think you made the right decision. I originally asked if you had spoke with the family yet because I couldn't imagine a family with a 9 year old who was open to a Nanny who brings her child was thinking "infant". I would think they envisioned a friend for their only child. That's been my experience anyway. I hope you find something that works for your family. It isn't easy but if you can find a great fit then bringing your child to work can be a wonderful thing for both families!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you don't mind my asking - what area of the country are you in? I'm always fascinated at how the Nanny world is so different in each city!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I assume the lady who runs the agency had clarified since she asked me a couple times if there was any way I could make it work, but who knows! You could be right. Also I'm sure their house isn't remotely baby proofed with a 9 year old and my child is into everything. I'll keep looking! I'm in northern new England. I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere but I really wish you could see some of the ads looking for nannies on Craigslist or care.com. They're offering well below minimum wage but want a nanny. I dont know where else to look and it's getting very frustrating!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wanted to add- I'm glad I asked here, because basically everyone I asked was saying how good it was and that it would be perfect. I have a tendency to not look at the cons of a situation when I really want something to work so I was beginning to think it would work. Thanks for bringing me back to reality!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh believe me those ads are everywhere! The best thing here is word of mouth and the agencies. Are you with a family right now?
    image_zps64579b54.png