Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

IUI with complications

vanish12vanish12 Posts: 55
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I'm posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I did an at-home IUI with a midwife, 24 then 36hrs after +OPK. The first insem the midwife had difficulty reaching my cervix and getting through to the uterus. After a few attempts she gave me a choice of proceeding as an ICI or using a tenaculum, which I opted for. Even with the tenaculum she could not get to the uterus plus it hurt like crazy so we went with ICI. After bleeding and cramping the rest of the day we did the second IUI as ICI.

Although this was my second round of IUI and the first one was not too bad my midwife thinks that I have a stenotic (sp?) cervix. Apparently last month was also difficult for her but she thought she got it, although now she is not sure. She thinks I should go to an RE or someone who can perform the IUI in a clinic with more access to tools. This is of course a new financial and emotional setback not to mention my new fear of the tenaculum which is probably the worst pain I've ever felt.

Sorry this is part vent/part question. Has anyone gone through this that can offer some advice? Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    LucyGooseyLucyGoosey Posts: 320
    edited November -1
    If your midwife suspects cervical stenosis then I would definitely get checked out by an RE. It might cost a few hundred dollars, but at least you will know. And all you may need is a smaller catheter.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sounds positively horrendous!! H has a tilted uterus and probably a tilted cervix. We finally had success with an iui done with an extremely full bladder as that helps decrease the tilt. Don't know if that would help you, but it might be worth thinking about or trying if the RE is definitely not an option.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    I would definitely to see a RE. I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    I have never been told so specifically what they believe I might have, but I have been told repeatedly that my cervix is not quite where it should be.

In the hands of an RE, you'd likely have little to no pain. Sometimes when I've had a nurse practitioner do my IUIs at the doctor's office, I've had a little more discomfort. When I had my HSG those doctors made a comment that they don't have much practice threading thin tubes into a cervix and that was definitely uncomfortable. So it could be the amount of practice any practitioner has. I would think if the midwife thinks you have something particularly tricky going on with your cervix or uterus, it would be best to speak with an RE about it. They may have practical suggestions for you to keep going to your midwife for inseminations or they may recommend doing them in their office.

K&H's idea about a full bladder is intriguing.

Also, through all the crazy things I've done and my hiding cervix, no one has ever had to use a tenaculum on me. I hope you never need to have that used again! Eek. :(
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    vanish12vanish12 Posts: 55
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone for the advice. :) I will look into seeing an RE, it would at least be helpful to have a real diagnosis and a new plan of action. I will ask my midwife about the full bladder idea, its sounds way less painful than a tenaculum!