Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Toy ideas?

tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Laney has taken a huge interest in snaps, clips, stroller/carseat/booster seat snaps lately and will stand by her booster seat for a half hr just trying to clip and unclip it. She gets very excited at mealtime so that she can snap herself in. I want to get her some toys that carter to improving these skills. I know Melissa and Doug have a latch board that I plan on ordering....can you think of any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    E has a "busy book" that has buttons, zippers, latches, etc. she also LOVES doing buckles.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    I would let her use the "toys" she has already found. The beauty of young children is that everything around them can be educational. If she likes her booster seat, make it available! Maybe she could practice putting dolls or stuffed animals in and out of it. For snaps and buttons, I'd put out some of her clothes to practice with.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with that! When E got really into snaps she wanted to do the snaps on a friend's doll's clothes.. but it was a doll that was over 30 years old and very special to her. So that was not a good plan. I had my mom quickly whip her up some easy doll clothes with snaps, but her favorite was a doll bib Grandma made... it seriously was a double-sided piece of cloth in a crescent shape, with one snap on the top. That thing saved many a multiple-hour car ride! She would snap and unsnap that thing for hours! It's awesome!
    Now you've got me trying to brainstorm what we have around the house, we've got many hours in the car planned for this weekend!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a week off of work at the end of the month, now I'm thinking of just getting crafty and making a few things, plus finish sewing the plush alphabet I started a few months ago.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Glad you brought this up-- Olivia is doing the exact same things. She snaps and unsnaps her baby's stroller buckle, gets in my sister's baby's car seat to snap and try to unsnap the buckle, unzips anything that is zipped-- whew! Let me know if you find something or make something :)
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I agree with using what you already have!

A winter coat you have with big buttons - score! Infant car seat tucked away - yay!

LOVED this phase, it was the beginning of real independence!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    lippysauntlippysaunt Posts: 545
    edited November -1
    one step ahead makes a doll with buttons and snaps etc. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/188-0337515-4255349?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=one%20step%20ahead%20doll

Melissa and Doug makes a puzzle with latches: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Latches-Board/dp/B000NVBE1A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349808315&sr=8-3&keywords=melissa+and+doug+puzzles

Toy strollers and baby seats sometimes have buckles and such. Personally, I prefer kids play with actual toys vs. adult items that they think are toys and then end up getting hurt or breaking the the item because it wasn't being used for its intended purpose. My personal feeling is when kids play with things that are "tools" for adult use then it blurs the line of what is and isn't OK to play with.
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    Lippy,
    I hear you, but I feel that real items are better because they are just that-real. When kids are allowed to use real-world items to learn, it cements their role in the world in an important way. Sure, kds need toys, but being able to manipulate their world is key. Our son was always more interested in the real stuff, and I think that is common.

It's possible I'm not making much sense. I am typing one- handed on an ipad while nursing a baby with a cold.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    As a Nanny, I understand what lippysaunt is saying from the Nanny's point of view. I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars I have spent (of my bosses money) replacing cameras, remote controls and other top of the line electronic items because they would rather let their toddler play with these items than tell them no.

We aren't talking about that here though and ncmoms hit it on the head. Playing with the buckles on your own stroller instead of a doll stroller, learning to button on Mom's winter coat instead of (an expensive) toy is empowering for children and should be encouraged. Just know what is off limits and let them know. When you don't have a set of parents telling them one thing and a Nanny telling them another it shouldn't be an issue.
    image_zps64579b54.png