Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Toddler bed transition - help!

mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
A couple of weeks ago we transitioned Henry to his toddler bed. I took him shopping for a special new bedding set to mark the occasion; when we got home, he watched me dismantle the crib and move the new bed to its official spot. He was a little nervous about the transition and said that taking the crib apart made him sad; however, he seemed happy to crawl under his new blanket at bedtime and go to sleep.

For a little while.

Here's the thing: since he has started sleeping in the new bed, Henry seems to regard his arms as useless appendages dangling off the sides of his body. If his blanket slips off of him (or his stuffed animal), he screams until one of us wakes up and fixes it - he has absolutely no interest in pulling the covers up himself. He has gotten us up multiple times a night for the past several nights to make bedding adjustments. He seems to be sleeping less soundly in general since the transition - is it the bed? The blankets? Help!
fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he's worried he'll fall off the bed? Do you have a side rail? Maybe that would help him not worry?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good thought - the bed has side rails, though. He gets so upset when his feet stick out of the blankets that I'm thinking about buying a sleeping bag for him - I want something that's breathable, though, not a 100% polyester camping bag. Any recommendations?
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would probably make something. It's a tiny toddler bed? You could get a twin size feather duvet and fold it in half. Get a duvet cover that you like and stitch it together like a sleeping bag. Would probably be super easy! The only drawback would be if he gets warm easily or doesn't like covers. E would think that this was some sort of torture device! She hates being covered by anything! :) But if he likes covers this would probably work well for him and hopefully not fall off.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    The sleeping bag sounds like a good place to start. We actually recently bought a cute one for Liv at PBK. They had several to choose from. Hopefully he adjust quickly. It's probably just a big change and may seem very different having the extra space without the bars. After a couple weeks here Olivia seemed to understand this was her new set-up and won't sleep anywhere besides her bed if we are at home. She's been in her bed for 5 months now. I know its rough, especially if you had a good sleeper before, but giveve it time:).
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    They make really cute toddler nap mats with a light blanket and pillow that are attached. Would fit perfectly on a toddler bed. You can spend a fortune on them but I got L's at Walmart for about $15!
    image_zps64579b54.png