Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Talk to me about pianos

K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Anybody here have a piano? Kids play?
We're tentatively, mildly exploring the idea of getting a piano. Neither of us play but we want our kids to. Our church music director does lessons for all of the kids at church but they won't start for another two years, which is great. So we're on the SLOW road to exploring what to get.
What are the expenses involved in having a piano? Care? Upkeep? I know there are weekly lessons, but at what age is practice every day? For how long? I'm not looking to go all Tiger Mom here (though her girls do play beautifully)... just your average, typical character building skill set.
Right now E loves the piano. She loves when her godbrother plays for her, she loves to play piano with Granpa, and she has always been enraptured by organ music, so maybe that's something she might be interested in later on. I would love for her to have a piano available whenever she wanted it, but I really know absolutely nothing about it.
GOzIm4.png
hAO7m4.png
CmQMm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I'm in the exact same position just 1 year closer to when they suggest starting lessons (age 5), so I'll be watching this for info as well.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me too! I was told by the piano instructor that he could direct me toward a keyboard that would be fine for practice. That appeals to me, as I don't want to be stuck with a huge piano (we really don't have room for one) that nobody plays. But I do want to start lesson with Jack when he starts Kindergarten this time next year.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i have a schroeder upright piano at my mom's house. it was given to me by an ex's mom. really nice piano, but i've never bothered to have it moved because i've lived in a series of apartments and now live in a situation i don't plan to stay in for long. it DESPERATELY needs to be tuned. the last time i checked (which was admittedly a long, long time ago) it was about $90 to have it tuned here. another thing to consider is the expense to have it moved. my mom had it moved from her old house to her new one and it cost over $100 plus tip and that was more than 10 years ago. many moving companies won't do it at all, particularly if it involves stairs or narrow doorways or twists and turns. the company that moved it put two big, burly men to the duty and they used a ramp and i forget what else just to get it up a single flight of stairs and they were still huffing and puffing and sweating like crazy and complaining that they would never do that again and they feared they had hernias afterward, etc. the only other thing i can think of is just the basic cleaning, which i haven't done, either. my mom is not much of a domestic type and she has four cats, so it's covered in scratches now and desperately needing to be cleaned and polished up. that's about all i can think of.
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    We have an upright piano that the music director of a former church gave us. DS loves to play around on it.

I plan to start lessons for him around 4.5-5. I did Suzuki as a child starting at 4 years old, although I didn't play piano. Young kids, with a good teacher who understands their particular needs, can develop a life-long love of music as well as a very good ear that helps with second language acquisition later on.

The costs for upkeep aren't bad, especially in the beginning. Pianos only need to be tuned periodically.Honestly, we haven't had ours tuned in the four years we've had it, and it's fine. Not perfect, but no jarringly wrong notes, and I'm a musician.

Good luck! I would check craigslist.
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I can not wait for Z to start a instrument. Most places around here will start start until 5. He has a short attention span so I may wait until 6. He is in private swim lessons now & it is expensive. The cost mixed with his attention span makes it frustrating but we have been at this 3 or so months, maybe 4 so I don't want to pull him but its a SLOW process! I want both boys to play a instrument.
  • Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    I've played the piano all my life, and took formal lessons from 7 years on. I've always had a piano - even when I lived in a tiny, tiny, weeny studio apartment (and it took up 1/4 of the floor space!) I love my piano, and my child and everyone who visits our house can't stay away from it. A piano is an expense, and you have to have it tuned - every 6 months or so if you're playing at a high level, once yearly otherwise. (I tune my own, which has saved a lot of money.) However, it can really become the center of a home, not just a piece of furniture. Even if you don't play, once your kids start lessons, you may be inspired to try, too, and you don't have to aspire to being a concert pianist - playing on it and having fun is worthwhile, too. Music helps kids in so many ways (and grown ups, too), and a piano is such a lucky, wonderful thing to have. My daughter plays on the piano nearly every day, but I'm not getting her lessons until 6. (She has enough other extra curriculur stuff going on right now, and already enjoys making music on it, so it can wait until she's a little bit older. We'll probably use the suzuki method (which we already do a little of at home together).
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!
  • Options
    BabyLove4BabyLove4 Posts: 49
    edited November -1
    I hope you guys don't mind me responding as I am mostly a lurker, but I felt I could answer your question.

I am a musician, and play the piano. I have had pianos my whole life. I started at age 5, which is the average age to start. I would not recommending starting before that, mostly because the commitment level to lessons and practicing is too much before then, and you wouldn't want her to burn out. Starting around age 5/6 is the best though, as similar to learning a new langauge, the learning gap starts closing and it becomes much harder to master. Not impossible, just harder. I do recommend getting a piano now and having it available to her so she can "play" whenever she has the desire. Working on one finger at a time, vs. banging with whole hands is age appropriate, as well as hearing different tonal patterns. In regards to what to expect when she does start lessons- I would say it would be the same as you would approach any other extracurricular activity, and whatever works for your family. With anything, you have to practice to gain new skills, and if reinforced in a loving way, it can be really successful. Usually practicing for avg. of 25 minutes a day (maybe less for younger ages) is expected. More time practicing as the level advances. When she starts, the teacher will probably have her start with practicing a few times a week, and then move up to everyday as she gets older and she moves up in levels. It was just built into my day as a kid- I practiced for 25/30 minutes while my mom made dinner. Longer if I was working on a harder piece or had a concert, shorter time if I had a friend over or was busy. Dedication and commitment with flexibility, was how I approached it, but again, whatever works for you.

In regards to the actual piano- I highly recommend looking on Craig's list. There are many different styles, sizes of pianos, so whatever works for your space. Electric keyboards are great, but they do not produce the same sound as a piano, and can be expensive (I admit that I am slightly biased towards an actual piano). I had an old (1910) upright piano that I loved, but it was huge, and it's original ivory keys were breaking from being played so much, so I donated it to a church and started searching for a smaller style (spinnet or console) piano on Craigs List. I found a beautiful one for free! I only had to pay to have it moved, which cost around $140. I'm sure that may vary on where it's going (how far from location to location, up stairs vs. no stairs). Once you have the piano, there shouldn't be to many expenses. You will have to have it tuned, usually right after its moved because that really messes with the tuning, and then once a year (depending in how much it's played and the humidity of the environment). If you place the piano on an inside wall, it will hold it's tune longer. Tuning is not that expensive. Under $100. Lessons shouldn't be more than $30/week. Maybe even cheaper. If looking for one on Craig's List, you'll want to ask about its condition. Are there any marks in the wood? Does it come with a bench? And most importantly, are all the keys in tact, and working? That can be expensive to fix. If the piano is in good condition, you shouldn't have to do anything to it other than dust. A brand new piano is going to run you in the thousands of dollars. Which, is why I would recommend Craig's List. I looked everyday for 2 months until I found one in good condition for free.

I am a huge advocate for introducing music to children at a young age, and think it's such a gift you can give to kids. If a piano is too much for you space, I would also recommend staring on a violen. Same commitment level, and cost for lessons, but a smaller and portable instrument. Age 5/6 is the average time to start, and you can usually rent a violen for awhile, and buy one outright if/when you know it's going to be a long term passion.

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions, I am more than happy to talk about pianos and music! :)
    ~Beth

30, SMBC. Dreaming of my beautiful baby....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Beth! Thank you! That was very helpful indeed. It certainly seems like a tricky balance to find just the right amount of interest and encouragement without pressure and frustration. Right now E seems very interested in exploring the sounds of the piano keys and even as a tiny baby has never banged with her whole hand but gently pressed with one finger. We were amazed! I had never seem someone so young react that way to a piano. So far she plays around with the keys with family, and stands stock still with wide eyes when listening to the organ. She will listen without moving for over half an hour if we let her! Once she's bigger she'll begin piano "lessons" at church, which will be about 15 minutes of educated and careful play led gently by our organist/music director. She had wanted E to join the kids bell choir this fall (at barely 2) but we politely encouraged her away from the idea. Maybe next year, or the year after, for fun.

One more question, does age of the piano make a difference? or just condition? Say, for example, was there an era where all of a sudden pianos changed in construction and one should not look for something older than that? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to an antique in general (taking condition into consideration)?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is awesome that E is so interested in music!! It sounds like you have a great community of musical people around her, so I'm sure she is learning constantly! The fine line between encouragement and pressure is very tricky. I actually wish my mom had pushed me a bit more. I quit for two years in my early teens (when I was much more interested in other things!) and then went back to it, and I had lost a lot. I will say, that my love of music has never been lost and I am very grateful for that! The bell choir will be great for her when she is a bit older. It will reinforce reading music in a fun way! I loved playing the handbells! :)

I would say that if you are interested in a piano that is going to get played regularly (maybe not at first but in general) then I wouldn't recommend an antique. I would stick to 1940s and beyond. I say this based on my last experience. My last piano was an antique, and while I dearly loved it, and it was a gorgeous antique, it did not tolerate my constant playing. The keys were original ivory, and therefore brittle, and would break. An antique piano (think 1930s and before) will also produce a more "muttled" sound. Which can be beautiful, but changes the quality if sound. Most antiques are usually uprights, which are huge. Tall, wide and really heavy. Again, beautiful, but big. Antiques also do not hold their tune for as long, which is what your expense will be once you have the piano. Now a Spinet (a smaller version piano) is a great piano, and great for beginners. In my research harder to find, and pose the same "antique problems". I settled on a counsole, which is average size, and very common. My new piano is from the 1960's. So I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. It sounds like you would want a console, probably no older than 1950. You also have to take into account what your plan is for the piano, are you going to be moving frequently, because if yes, an upright will be a pain to move. I wanted my piano to be something that gets passed down through the generations of my future family. A piano from 1920, that is played heavily wouldn't make it through generations. You most importantly just want a piano that has been cared for, and beyond that, will depend on what it's purpose for your family is going to be.

On a side note, do you guys do Music Together classes?? I bet E would love them.
    ~Beth

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, this is great info! We did do Music Together last year, but she didn't love it like I thought she would. We have both been through many, many sessions with previous nanny kids and liked it and definitely think it is a valuable program. Her godmother is a huge fan and is always offering to buy her a session as a holiday present.. maybe we should give it a try now that we're back in MA and see if we all like it a little more.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmm... I'm surprised she didn't like it since she is so enthralled with the piano and organ. Maybe she is just going to skip "baby music" and jump feet first into the real deal! ;)

We (the little boy I nanny for and myself) go to Music Together in Providence. It's nice to have you back in New England by the way!

Happy Piano hunting!
    ~Beth

• Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing more to add but I got my piano off CL for $300.

DH has a pickup and we called a couple friends. $110 for the tuning and I have a great piano to play on.

I'm not a pro by any means, but I started age 5, there was no kindergarten so I was put in piano, I can make my way through a hymnal...I Mostly play just for me, but I do plan on teaching G to play, at least as well as I can.
  • Options
    kittykitty Posts: 146
    edited November -1
    Only thing I can add is they are heavy to move if you plan on moving and need to have a professional mover because if you knock those keys piano is ruined need to have it rekeyed
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    I grew up with pianos in my house and when i was little I had my own little piano. I loved pianos, however I didn't start weekly piano lessons until I was 12. I think this was a good choice for me. I started learning how to play piano on my own with lesson books at around 7. My mom played piano too, and helped me learn. She casually taught me how to read music, the names of the notes and how they corresponded with the keys on the piano. I was given the option of having more formal lessons around this time, but I was having too much fun being a kid: playing outside, riding bikes, playing with friends, that I didn't want to be required to practice all the time. I started clarinet lessons at 9 and I wish I had started piano lessons at the same time. I was ready then to be more dedicated to practice. Even starting "late" I was a decent pianist and the thing that held me back was the stubby fingers I inherited from my mother.

I keep trying to convince DH that we should get a piano. He doesn't agree.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I would definitely get a piano! I began weekly lessons at 8 years old and continued with them until I was 14 then lost interest, not in music, but in the lessons, practicing, etc.

My piano is at my parents home and they are often trying to send it home with us;). My DP would like for us to get a piano, but we will find something besides my old piano because of the cost of moving it ( several hours away, tuning it, and having a key repaired). I think the piano Is like the gateway instrument, the one everyone should try, even if they intend on moving on to something else like violin, cello, bass, or what have you. Get a piano!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I have a 1950's Mason and Hamlin, and it's a Cadillac among pianos: beautiful sound and appearance. It holds its tune very well. It was always kept on an inside wall in a temperature-controlled room (no extremes, usually 65-80) and only was tuned every few years.

One idea for getting a piano is to talk to a local auction house to keep an eye out for you. Many auctioneers who sell off house contents will not move the piano, but leave it behind in the house instead. It isn't worth bringing to the auction house for the price they get, plus pianos like mine weigh 900 pounds. You might be able to get a really nice piano for $50-100 this way, plus professional moving costs.

I started learning a few basics on piano at 4 or 5 with my neighbor's piano. She was 7 or 8 and showed us the basic scales and note names. At 7 I started lessons with a "beginner teacher" who teaches the basics for the first few years. They tend to charge a little less. When I was 9 I switched to a more advanced piano teacher and stuck with her until she retired. She charged more but was very talented and could teach us more.

I would suggest going to a piano shop and pressing the keys on a few pianos. Different brands have different sounds. A Yamaha piano is not going to sound anything like a Steinway. Personally I can't stand Yamaha pianos because the keys sometimes stick. Baldwin and Mason and Hamlin have been around for over a hundred years, so they're doing something right.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, interesting point about the inside wall. I was thinking we have two potential spots for a piano, one is an inside wall with a window on the intersecting wall about two feet away. The other is in the kitchen, on a wall that is the back of the dining room fireplace. While I aspire to build fires, we really only would likely have a fire in the fireplace two or three times a year. Would this be a bad place for a piano?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Shiloh's grandmas both play and one teaches so I thought she'd start with Shiloh at 4. When she said not until 5, I was discouraged but thought I'd just take her to a commercial center for lessons. They start with kids at 7! So for now Shiloh can ping on the ivories with no formal instruction.

I have a keyboard and am thinking that's enough for now. I don't want the expense of a piano purchase and upkeep. If it turns out my little angel is a virtuosa, then I'll get a real one!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    cptncrbcptncrb Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    I bought a piano at a yard sale. It is not an upright but the kind without a back. Can't remember the name at the moment. Mark LOVES playing it. He has always loved music and will sing his songs and play the keys (not the right ones of course) The piano was fairly inexpensive, for a piano anyway, I put little pieces of painter's tape on it with notes and since he knows his letters he can play something if I write it out for him. I think he will be ok for lessons at 4 or 4.5. I am a singer and my one regret is that I never had a piano lesson. Mark is a natural singer too and I would love to give him the ability to play. If nothing else I get an accompanist, LOL!!!
    Cina, Kim, Mark & Jackson