Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Santa Claus (Santy)

ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
This is the first year Santy will be visiting and I'm wanting to hear how other families celebrate.

My family Santy brought 1 gift and everything else was from parents/ siblings. Santys gift was not wrapped and placed under the tree, under our stocking (probably so we'd know who's was who's) I guess Santy did bring a few stocking stuffers as well. The biggest gift I remember getting was a boom box.... Often there would be 1 big "family" gift, new TV, VCR, in 82 it was a microwave :) we did get to open 1 gift on Christmas Eve, it was always new pyjamas. Also we attended the Christmas service, whether it was on Christmas day or Christmas Eve. Some years we went around singing carols.
DHs family Santa wrapped everything, different paper for each person, and there was usually only 1-2 gifts from parents.... Also they were (compared to my family) filthy rich. Christmas was a HUGE deal... New cars, motorcycles... Thousands and thousands were spent. I think they opened the gifts Christmas Eve and Christmas Day was Santa. I'm pretty sure he has never attended a Christmas service.
This year it won't really matter since he won't remember but I would like to start our own traditions.

So, how did you celebrate Christmas growing up, and what do you do with your kids now?

Comments

• Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited October 2012
    Growing up, the biggest gifts were from Santa. (ha, and Grandma!) Santa does NOT wrap gifts.

With my own children, Santa brings a medium size gift (last year it was $15-20 for each child) plus a few books and stocking stuffers. I want to focus more on the spirit of Santa than Santa bringing the best gifts. Also, I want the credit. ;)
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    When I was growing up, I got all my presents from family on Christmas Eve (after dinner, but before midnight mass/bed - my Grandma had pretty big Christmas Eve parties for most of my childhood, so this was REALLY FUN) and "Santa" presents were opened on Christmas morning - they were wrapped in different papers than the papers used on the family presents. It wasn't uncommon for me to get 20+ gifts from family AND 20+ gifts from Santa (I was an only child AND the only grandchild until I was 11) but even I think that amount is completely ridiculous.

We will not do Santa with our kids, but if I was planning on it I would wrap the presents (I always thought unwrapping gifts was more fun than any other part of getting them!) but would buy far, FAR fewer for my own kids than I got as a child. DH and I are actually undecided at this point if we're going to do gifts for Christmas at all with our kids - we don't buy gifts for each other now, only extended family (and we only do THAT because we feel obligated).
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited October 2012
    We are German by heritage, so as a kid we always opened all presents from family on Christmas Eve (cultural difference). On Christmas morning we would get stockings filled by Santa and they would inevitably have an apple, an orange, some peanuts, some candy, some kind of beauty thing (nail polish, lip gloss etc), and maybe a matchbox car or two.
    H's family did the one big open present from Santa under the tree.

For E, so far we have done Christmas Eve at Grandma and Grandpa's house, then home at our house on Christmas morning. We haven't started having any presents from Santa yet, she doesn't know the difference. She does LOVE Santa, and snowmen, and elves, etc..
    Christmas for us is much more about Advent and church rather than Christmas Eve or morning. By the time those roll around we've been blessed with so many wonderful holiday memories already!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Posts: 515 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love Christmas morning! Santa leaves the majority of the presents by the fire place under each child's stocking, and I wrap 2-3 presents from me for under the tree. We always have cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate for breakfast (Santa puts the chocolate in the stockings). For a few days before Christmas we also have a couple of the elves show up and make messes around the house...they love to wake up to that to. I am not really big into church, but we usually go to my aunt's church's Christmas pageant which tells the Christian story, and I talk to them about the celebration so they will know why we have a "party." I made up my mind a few years ago that we will stay home on Christmas Day (I felt rushed and obligated to go to various other family celebrations and it kind of ruined the day). For me, it is a day of fun for the kids and family for me.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited October 2012
    Usually on Christmas Eve we go to my dad's house with my sister's family and exchange way too many gifts and order in Chinese. The following morning we have unwrapped gifts from Santa (he usually brings the hard-to-wrap ones, like a Sit'n'Spin). Then there are wrapped gifts from Mommy that we open after Grampy wakes up and joins us. Cinnamon rolls or Dunkin' Donuts are our early breakfast tradition, followed by something more substantial later. And then the extended family (my aunts, uncles, and cousins) get together the following Saturday for a big meal and just one or two gifts for the kids.

I may have to rethink the unwrapped Santa gifts this year as Santa is starting a new tradition of bringing me some new clothes and other gifts, too. I don't want the kids thinking I was bad this year! My sister suggested wrapping paper that is uniquely Santa's for all gifts from him.

ETA: Santa does the stocking and 3-4 average-sized gifts and Mom gets credit for the rest.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Growing up: We opened gifts on Christmas Eve after church, and the next morning opened stockings and the ONE gift from "santa". Which is basically how I do it now. My side of the family has always done Christmas on Christmas Eve, my ex husbands side on Christmas morning, so I stick to my traditional then the biggies go to his place at 8am on Christmas morning. Works for us. The only difference is we don't do santa. At all. We also attend a Winter Solstice ceremony/ritual on or around the 21st, and then a Christian service on Christmas Eve if our Christian child would like us to.

Thats just what works for us :) We also do not go overboard on gifts... the kids typically get one big thing each, plus the few smaller things they get from other people. We are the type to pool resources and get one big-ticket item they they'll use rather then a bunch of junk (ex, this year Moose wants hair stuff, her own hairdryer, straigtening iron, curling iron... we'll get her the set and thats it, then hair ties and clips etc in her stocking).

Curious to go back and read others responces when I've had enough coffee to be alert! I'm always intereasted in how others celebrate holidays
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to ask: do you leave cookies/ carrots or something else for Santy? We always left Guinness and oats...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to ask: do you leave cookies/ carrots or something else for Santy? We always left Guinness and oats...

When I was little I always left butter cookies and coke (this makes me want to gag reading it as an adult!) but my mom hinted heavily that Santa might enjoy a beer ;)
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I was born and raised in Germany so we celebrated much like K&H with Advent calendars and celebrations and gifts were opened on Christmas Eve after a big family dinner. My parents are not religious so church was not a part of our celebration...though I have attended a few midnight Christmas Eve services in my time. Christmas morning was a very relaxed atmosphere with some small stalking gifts by the fireplace and a nice big family brunch, usually still in our pajamas. St Nick is the big deal in Germany and Santa Claus as he is known in America is not something that is in existence, nor is the holiday as over-marketed, materialistic, and ridiculous (IMO) as it is in this country. Having lived internationally in many different parts of the world throughout my life I can tell you that we are the only country that does things the way we do...

Our own Christmas traditions are still evolving, but over all we just make it about family and making lasting memories more so than about gifts. Given the holiday is traditionally a very religious one we of course feel a little disconnected from it, but also understand the importance of allowing our children the joy of experiencing all of the fun in it...its a balance. So we did like the idea of everyone getting new Christmas pajamas to wear on Christmas morning, we did it last year (our first with a child) and will this year also. The few gifts we exchange are done on Christmas Eve as this is when the family generally gathers...again, given my European upbringing, this is the tradition we continue. My wife and I usually buy each other one larger joint gift (this year we are eyeing a new camcorder) and then set a dollar limit (say $50) for each other to buy some other small things as surprises (usually books, clothing, or such). For Sebastian we currently keep things rather simple as he has no understanding for expense of volume of gifts...he gets a new book and a couple of toys, we probably don't spend much more than $50 on him either. He has plenty of family and friends (especially his grandparents) that shower him with gifts far beyond what he even needs or desires. Last year we even tucked several away after Christmas and gave them to him throughout the year...otherwise it is simply too much at once.

As a side not, my wife was raised a Jehovas Witness, so celebrating holidays was not something she experienced as a child and even though she has long since left that religion behind she still feels uncomfortable with the excess and materialism that these holidays bring out in people. She enjoys our minimalistic approach and does like the traditions we are continuing/instituting with our kids.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    Most people around here celebrate on Christmas Eve (huge german heritage). We never did growing up because we spent most of Christmas Eve at church (2 services usually). We are still trying to figure out what our exact tradition is going to be. We travel to see DH's family at some point around Christmas, and it has changed every year. We started Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve last year and I think that will continue. DH didn't have Santa, but I think the magic of Santa is important, so we have gifts from Santa. We have been saving things we have picked up for him throughout the year that he was still to little for and will be giving him that stuff on Christmas.

mommylove -- we have St. Nick's day here. But, that is in addition to santa claus
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    I am a full on Christmas / Santa Claus freak! I am an atheist, so it is all about the pagentry for me. As children, we opened one gift from my parents on Christmas Eve and all of the other gifts were opened on Christmas morning. There were approx the same number of gifts from Santa as there were from the parents. My mom never even put the gifts out until Christmas morning and I can still remember the excitement of waking up early to find all the gifts around the tree and my brother and I would be up for hours just looking at the presents and trying to guess what was in them. And it always used to amuse me that my father would be up by 5am every other day of the year, but on Christmas would be annoyed that we were up early. Even when we were older, the gifts were hidden until xmas morning.

For our own traditions, we have decided that Christmas Eve and Christmas morning are strictly for our little family. So far everything has been from Santa but I am sure we will change that as they get a little older and understand more. Plus we have stockings with goodies and little fun things. All presents are wrapped. Stocking stuffers are not.

DP has a huge family and we go over there early afternoon and spend the rest of the day opening presents. When her family gets together, there are 25 people just between her parents, her siblings and significant others, and grandkids. Each person has their own kind of wrapping paper and there is literally one room with gifts stacked up EVERYWHERE! The grown up kids do a secret santa gift exchange. By the end of the day it gets a bit much but I just love the warmth and bustle of her family and the giant Christmas explosion. No one gets an insane amount of gifts, but by the time there are about 5 small to medium gifts for everyone, it still adds up to a lot.

Here are some pics to show you our version of Christmas:

Our tree and gifts Christmas morning before the boys came downstairs
    (and looking through our pics, I remembered that we had too many gifts for them... they got bored opening presents) But all the gifts are not for the kids. This is all gifts collectively and the toys to the left are toys we have out and I thought just looked cute in the pic.
    DSCN4350-1-1.jpg

And the insanity that is Christmas at the in-laws
    DSCF7245-1.jpg
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    cocolibbycocolibby Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, we had family Christmas Eve with grandparents and aunts and uncles, and then Santa left us enormous piles of unwrapped gifts and stockings on Christmas. Ridiculous excess.

I'm not sure exactly what my wife's traditions were, but she had a single mom who was one of 10 children herself and very poor, so no excess was involved.

With our own kids (only one of whom still believes in Santa anyway, and we suspect he's faking and doesn't really), Santa fills stockings and brings one large gift. This year, the 16 year old is getting an xBox game and a matching controller, the 10 year old is getting a giant Lego set he's been wanting, and the 7 year old is getting drums. We have gone back and forth with wrapping or not wrapping Santa gifts - we kind of do what we feel that day. The boys always leave reindeer food and cookies, often beer - last year the Tooth Fairy was also visiting our house that night, and we have a running family joke that the Tooth Fairy is a weirdo fairy who wants little kids' teeth for unknown purposes and is really a hairy drunk dude in a tutu who lives in his mother's basement (I have no idea where this started, but it was many years ago). Anyway, the boys left notes for Santa and the Tooth Fairy telling them not to drink too much. Pretty hilarious.

We've sort of always intuitively done the "something to wear, something to read, something useful, and something they REALLY want" type of shopping. With those gifts, one thing I have always done is wrap them in different papers with a theme, like all Santas or snowmen or superheroes or whatever with different colored backgrounds for each boy. That way, they don't know which gifts are for whom under the tree and we've never had any peeking. (DW and I were both peekers) We do Christmas crackers on Christmas morning and wear paper crowns while we look through stockings, and spend the day hanging out together, playing their games or watching their DVDs, being low key together. Sometimes DW's Mom descends upon us, and that pretty much honks, because she is not content for people to stay in their pajamas, EVER, for any reason, EVER.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Christmas rituals and the ways in which we have spent this holiday has changed and varied immensely over the years for me personally. The one thing that has not changed is this day and time of year is about family--- fun family times as well as those crazy oh my goodness I am going to go mad family moments :)

As a kid my brother, sister, and I spent the holidays with our mom, dad, and grandparents from both sides. All of our extended family lived out of state and we never got together during these winter months due to weather and distance. Christmas was always held at our home and the grandparents would come over early in the morning and drink coffee with the parents while we got jacked up on breakfast-- pancakes,waffles, eggs, fruit, and whatever else. Gifts were always a big part of things, not to say that all of the items were pricey. My parents always just bought us whatever they could afford and we were all the grateful sort of kids. We typically got one big item we really wanted, clothes, books, tapes, CDs, this sort of stuff. Over the years our family dynamics shifted when my parents divorced and each remarried. We ended up with twin step brothers and a step sister from my dad' s wife and a stepdad. Overall it was a more the merrier sort of arrangement and this just meant that we did a holiday gathering at my moms house in the morning with the grandparents still coming, then we would walk or as we.got older.drive over to my dads house-- all of three blocks from our mothers and would do another gathering here later in the day. We got along well with our stepmom and her family, so really it was just more people and more fun and craziness. After graduating from college back home I moved to Washington state by myself and went home for the holidays for the first two years, after this it just became about spending the time with the new friends I had made in Wa. After living here for 6 years I met Anna, met her family and became part of their family celebration, which they really go overboard with as far as food, gathering, etc. Fast forward 3 years and now we have our own family, my parents have retired and moved to Washington, and now we are at that place where we are just trying to go with the flow and see what works each year. We live right in the middle of each set of parents with each of them being approximately 3 hours each direction. Due to weather it is difficult to say for certain that they will be able to make it here, but we have decided for our sake and sanity that we will do the xmas holiday at our home. Like others we get new pjs on x mas eve, spend a low key evening all cozy together, and xmas day is coffee, yummy but easy breakfast-- rolls, scones, fruit, yogurt, and then presents, pictures, playing, walking the dog, playing some more, making and eating a delicious dinner- we do ham, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, and whatever else. Oh and last year we all went to the local bowling alley/ arcade after gifts and before dinner. The year before we went to a movie after dinner. So, I think we are going to head back to our mid day bowling and arcade games and see how O does bowling.

Wow, I really started rambling. Overall I guess I'm just trying to say that I see X- mas and the holiday season as a time to spend and enjoy time with our friends and family. I really get into the food and admittedly the gifts too. I love shopping for others, especially O, but all within reason. I don't believe in going into debt or stressing about gift giving. We try to keep it all fun. I'm excited to see how things will go this year now that O is older and understands more. It will also be great to see how things evolve and grow over the years once we throw the kids' imaginations and enthusiasm into the mix!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm still making it up as I go. The last couple of years I've been really stressed about running all over so the different members of my family could see Shiloh and spend Christmas with her. Last year was the worst. Everyone showered her with gifts but it felt like I needed to grab and run to get her to the next family gathering. So this year I'm setting limits. Christmas Eve is typically with a grandma who sings in church. Christmas morning will be at home. Anyone who just has to see Shiloh on Christmas can come to me! Christmas dinner will be at the other grandparents' home. Presents from me will be a mix of necessities and kiddie wishlist items. And as for the rest, well ... I'm okay with friends and family going overboard because when their kids were young I did the same!

ETA - we're Jewish and celebrate Chanukah as a family-centered holiday. Christmas is the present holiday!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    roses25roses25 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    Our Christmas plans are changing this year. Before we've taken vacations, traveled, spent the time with extended family. This year we are spending Christmas at home for the first time. I think we will start the tradition of opening our family gifts on Christmas Eve either before or after church and then just Santa coming in the morning with one larger gift or so and filling the stocking.

After Christmas is over we will then go to Nebraska to visit a few friends (just for a few days) and then stop by and have Christmas with Grandma, and then Papa & Grammy before heading home (just staying a day or two....probably one day with Grandma and one day with Papa & Grammy). This year we are combining it with Addison's baptism.

I'm really excited for the changes and for the kids to be able to have Christmas at our own house.

Carolyn
    EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
    schm94df60emqyke.png
    lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
    lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png
  • Options
    christeacherchristeacher Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited October 2012
    I used to think that I wouldn't do santa with my kids because I wanted christmas to be focused on what christmas is really about, celebrating the birth of jesus christ. However as I have gotten older I well definitely use santa to teach my children about st.nick and charity and for the magic of christmas. We will do one present on christmas eve, new pjs so they are nice and cute for pictures the next morning. They will get one big unwrapped gift from santa and a few smaller gifts, momma is going to want most of the credit. We will go to church christmas morning. We well also do some sort of charity project each christmas. I want my children to learn to give back and to understand why we celebrate christmas.
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i just realized how dickensian my childhood sounds in writing.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds more like A Christmas Story, you know, the whole "you'll shoot your eye out!" thing!

It's nice when we are able to re write our stories by being in charge of events!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    I have so enjoyed reading everyone's different childhood traditions, as well as how those have evolved into or shaped the traditions you are making in your own family now. I am filing ideas away for starting our own traditions now that we are finally going to have our own little family, starting this year!

As some of you may know, I grew up in a very religious home, so Christmas for us was a fair amount different from many of yours. Non the less, it always was and still is my very favorite holiday, and I have many cherished holiday memories, that I hope will continue for my children, although there will be differences in how we celebrate now. First of all, we did not do anything "Santa" at all. Santa wasn't taboo or anything, but it just wasn't a part of Christmas, because in our religion, Christ is the center of Christmas. We did not have a tree, lights, or stockings either - I didn't miss any of it, as I didn't know any different! As a child, when all of my siblings and I were still at home, we always had our family Christmas on Christmas Eve - Dad and Mom would buy gifts for each of us children, usually one bigger gift that we had really wanted and a couple smaller things (bigger as in a doll, pogo stick, ice skates, etc). When I was old enough to want to buy presents for my Mom, my Dad would take me to town and let me pick out something for her that he would buy and let me wrap and give to her. My Mom makes delicious homemade stir fry and that was always our Christmas Eve traditional meal. We farmed, so Dad would do chores early that evening, we would eat stir fry, then we would gather in the living room by the wood stove and my dad would read the Christmas story from the Bible. After that, we would open our presents and spend the next hour or so playing with all our new stuff. The next morning was always bustling around early getting food and goodie trays ready, then off to Christmas service at church. After church, we always got together with my Moms extended family (11 brothers and sisters, parents, and cousins) for a big potluck lunch with goodie plates of homemade Christmas candy for dessert. The days leading up to Christmas included our private school's Christmas program at church, caroling at local old folk's homes and friends and neighbors homes, driving around looking at pretty lights, and making Christmas candy and cookies. I can honestly say that even without Santa and all the materialistic parts of Christmas, the holiday never lacked magic, warmth and delight for me, and I never felt that it was missing anything.

As we've grown up and married, things have changed some of course. My two oldest married brothers have their own Christmas at their houses on Christmas Eve and up until now, me and my DH still go to my parents on Christmas Eve and have stir fry with my parents and siblings who still live at home. We still attend the children's program at church, as my nieces and nephews are all in it now and I never miss it. Depending on the year, Christmas Day we all go to my parents for the day (DH and I go after they get home from church) and we have a yummy homemade dinner (ham, Mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, rolls, layered lettuce salad, graham cracker fluff) then my Dad reads the Christmas story and we all exchange gifts (the adults exchange names and my parents buy for the grandchildren). We play board games and try out new toys in the afternoon, eat homemade Christmas candy all afternoon, sing some Christmas carols together, frost and decorate Christmas cutout cookies with the children, then heat up leftovers for supper, and finish it off with hot tea and more Christmas candy. As far as Christmas Day, I'm certain we will continue that the same as always for now, but we will be starting our own traditions for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.

Some of the things we already do and will hopefully be able to continue and expand on, is put up and decorate a tree in late November. We will definitely do stockings (from Santa) and bake cookies for Santa for Christmas Eve night. Someone mentioned messes from the elves for the children to find in the morning, which is something I had wanted to do, plus I plan to wrap chocolate chips in tinfoil to leave on their night stands from the elves :) not sure yet about a big present from Santa but if we do, I like the idea of it either being one larger item unwrapped and just by the tree, or a couple smaller things that are wrapped in special paper. I definitely also plan to do the new Jammies for Christmas Eve every year also for nice pictures the next morning. I have also made it a habit to participate in our town's Adopt-a-family program and I buy gifts for a couple children through that program every year also. They give you the age and size of the child and you buy them a toy(s) and clothing item(s), wrap them and they are delivered to the needy families in the community the week before Christmas. I want my children to be a part of this or something similar when they are old enough to understand, so they can learn the value and blessing of giving instead of always receiving.

I can't wait to start these little traditions with my little family - I know our son will be too little this year to appreciate any of them, but I am still so excited to start them and share them with him :) the biggest thing I hope he grows up knowing, is that Christmas is about so much more than gifts, money, and everything commercial. It's about family, being surrounded by those you love the most, sharing great values and making precious memories - it's about so much more than materialistic gimmicks - it's a heart holiday, and as long as our hearts are in the right place and we are surrounded by those we cherish most, it can and will be magical, no matter what.

So sorry for rambling on and on... I do really love this holiday!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Flowergirl - I'm not religious (at all - DH and I have been accused of being militant atheists on more than one occasion) but your childhood Christmases sound soooooo dreamy to me! When I was a kid I loved getting a ton of presents, but as an adult the memories I cherish of Christmas are always the 'other' things - baking cookies with my Mama and Grandma, staying up late for midnight mass, seeing all the Christmas lights at Our Lady of the Snows. I would much rather spend Christmas reading my favourite bible story - Christ's birth - to future kiddos than opening tons of gifts!
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Merilung, thank you! :) You absolutely would not need to be religious to experience Christmas similar to the ones I grew up with. It was always just a warm, fuzzy, family holiday. Simple would definitely sum it up in a word. And you are so right! The memories I have today are not of gifts, but of experiences, feelings and memories. That's what I hope for my children to come away with as well!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    LucyGooseyLucyGoosey Posts: 320
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, presents were only to opened on Xmas morning. Stockings were hooked onto our bedroom doors and those presents were the only ones we were allowed to open without my parents. We always had dripping cakes for breakfast and then we got to open presents, and it was a mix of presents from Santa and presents from family. My grandparents showed up around 11am and we all had Xmas dinner together.

I don't have kids yet, but I spend Xmas with my brother, sister-in-law, and niece, and I ill continue after I have kids. That results in my sister-in-law and I staying up half the night on Xmas eve wrapping presents and drinking a lot of wine. Most of the presents come from family with a few from Santa. Xmas day is spent parked on the couch eating way too much. We do tend I spoil my niece, but the day isn't about the presents it's about the chance to hang out together.
  • Options
    kittykitty Posts: 146
    edited November -1
    Santa gets credit for the one item that she has requested a million times.

My co-worker taught me to wrap Santas gift in Santa gift wrap and nothing else can be in Santa wrap.

I think because we are older we have slipped a few times about this santa gig...