Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Hurricane Sandy Shoutout

K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
While we're still expecting high winds and more rain for the next 12 hours or so, we're doing well. Friends nearby have lost power and school was cancelled for today and tomorrow. We're hunkered down at home with plenty of food and water, so we're just waiting it out.

How are the rest of the East Coast folks doing??
GOzIm4.png
hAO7m4.png
CmQMm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Hoping to hear good news! I've been on edge for all my NY friends :(
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    My Dad is in Virginia and they just lost power and at least one apple tree :( last storm he bought a generator after throwing away hundredss of dollars in food when the power was out for a week.

Relatives in Buffalo said a lot of rain but not even very windy.

Haven't heard from my Aunt in the Outer Banks so I am assuming she is without power also.

Complain as we do about the Texas heat we don't get much real drama in the weather department here in Dallas!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, there is a tree balanced on top of my house, which isn't good. The roof appears to be intact and we're all ok. Just lost power, which Henry is definitely not happy about. Hope this is over soon.
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    Nothing much to report from the southern coast of NC. It's been a bit breezy the past few days. We got several inches of rain Friday evening and Saturday as the storm approached, but it's been dry since late Sunday morning. I think we are due for 22mph winds...mild tropical storm conditions.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    KYSTKYST Posts: 148
    edited November -1
    We are in northern Virginia and I'm shocked that we still have power this morning. The wind has been horrible. There were several large limbs down last night but it's still dark so we will have to wait and see. I was thinking about you last night, K&H. Glad you are ok.
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    Many schools are closed here in western PA, but not much to report but rain and wind. My aunt/uncle/cousins in Ocean City, MD, have had a much rougher time, however. Luckily, they have a generator. They're stubborn and refused to evacuate when told to.
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Such weird weather today, in the aftermath of the storm. We had clouds and rain when we woke up, full sun 20 minutes later.. then more rain about an hour after that, then full sun again... off and on all day. This evening we had a pouring rain storm with thunder and lightning and then 20 minutes later I prepped myself for a soaking to take the trash cans to the curb, and it was perfectly clear with a beautiful moon out! So strange.

We were shocked to see that the Jane's Carousel, the beautiful work of art where we held E's birthday just this last August, was completely surrounded by water and nearly submerged. You may have seen the striking image that's being circled around, for us it is just so unbelievable that we have walked the places where so much damage has been done.

hurricane-sandy.png

Here's E on the horses just last year:
    7451170394_6012f075a4_z.jpg

All reports say the carousel will be assessed for mechanical damage in the next few days, but the good news is that each of the hand painted antique horses seems to have made it through their bath just fine!

mausandlodie - how did the tree on your roof fare? Is the roof still intact?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    I was just coming here to see if any/all of the people from the forum that were in the path have checked in. I know there's a few others that were in NJ and NY if I remember correctly. DW is friends with Lexnani on Facebook and we were following their ordeal and were praying for them all night. Glad to hear so many are doing good after this tragedy, Mausandlodie I hope everything is going okay with the tree and your roof, and I pray everyone else is safe!
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We got a tree removal company to come out yesterday, so the tree is no longer on our house. It definitely did some damage - we have a hole in the roof, a number of gutters were knocked off, our grape arbor was crushed, our grill was flattened... the tree was so big that it fell from our neighbor's yard across our house and smashed the fence of the neighbors on the other side! Our power came back on today, but our heat isn't working yet - on the plus side, the sump pump is busy sucking some of the water out of our basement.

Despite all this, I feel like we got off really easy. I'm just glad everyone is OK. Oh - and Sandy is DEFINITELY off the list for girls' names, LOL.
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh my! That sounds like a lot to deal with! I'm glad it wasn't much worse!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    rara-0313rara-0313 Posts: 115
    edited November -1
    Here in DC We didnt have much damage I don't think. We just had wind and rain. We never lost power, but everything pretty much shut down (school, goverment and metro and trains) and we was told to stay in doors. Once we were instructed to stay in if you were caught driving I was told you was pulled over and given a ticket.
  • Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited November 2012
    Hi everyone,
    our part of Brooklyn got off very lightly, and I'm feeling very grateful. Our public schools are closed until the rest of the week (just as well for my little one - there's a giant tree fallen on the road in front of hers - so lucky it didn't fall on the school!) My college downtown is still flooded on the first floor and basement with the power conduits destroyed, and we're closed indefinitely. The subways closest to it are still flooded (although they've managed to get some other lines running today, which seems like a miracle.) Many of my students are from the Rockaways and other parts of NYC and NJ that have been decimated, so I'm anxious to find out how they are and am hoping they're safe. Friends in other parts of NYC are still having a hard time. I'm feeling for my besty who lives on the 16th floor of a building with no power or water still. I'm hoping now the bridges are open that she'll bring her family out to my house in Brooklyn. Friends on the Jersey shore are coping in different ways, and many of my colleagues on Staten Island and over in Jersey are panicked about how they are going to get in to work in Manhattan - there's still no way for most of them. Thank goodness for the internet and smartphones - even when people were huddled with no power during the worst of the storm, we could all still check in with each other. Another friend of mine works for the parks department and has been working continuously through and since the storm. They're dealing with 10 000 trees down or broken all around the city, which has wreaked a whole other kind of havoc. She was sent home from work on Friday before the storm with a big-wheel city pick up truck, so she could get anywhere, and she's had to: she's tireless and amazing.
    Anyhow, I hope everyone is doing okay; I know the storm has only just stopped in other parts of the East Coast. The Caribbean has been torn apart, too - so much death and destruction everywhere; it's hard to comprehend, even when it's around you.
    It's been making me think of September 11th a lot - the city has the same distressed feeling and everything is upside down. I went to sleep on Monday night when the hurricane was on the city, with my shoes on: just in case we had to run out of the house because of fire etc., and it's the first time I'd done that since Sept. 11th as well. I know people in Florida and Louisiana, and many other states deal with hurricanes regularly - that just blows my mind.
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    H's cousin said the same thing about how the city feels. She left and came up to us and said she was just so glad to be out of there.
    Prayers for everyone there!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png