Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

healthy and yummy breakfast breads?

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Kate doesn't like to eat first thing in the morning. Since we get up 30-60 minutes before leaving the house this generally means she isn't interested in eating before school. I can't really blame her because while I am hungry when I wake up I need to be up for at least an hour before eating. Anyway, this has lead us to smoothies for breakfast almost daily which I'm fine with considering how healthy I make them, how easy they are and portable. Plus they have big healthy snacks available for her to serve herself at school whenever she is ready for real food. Problem is now that it is colder she doesn't want smoothies in the chilly mornings (yes we are big babies about the "cold". True Texans at this point). Anyway, I was thinking a yummy, healthy bread might be a good cold weather option. She'd eat Starbucks banana nut bread all day long if I let her but I've made that recipe and know it isn't the healthiest (understatement!). So if you have any recipes to share I'd love to hear them. She's a big fan of nuts in her bread but not so much things like cranberries (again, apple/tree scenario!). Oh and I'd love to give her a nice warm bowl of oatmeal but much to my dismay she doesn't like it!
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    When Liv started eating finger foods I found a recipe on the wholesome baby food website for sweet potato oatmeal muffins ( I even made it with breastmilk back in the day). Anyway, I still make these now and put them in a mini muffin tray and freeze the extras. They are easy and overall healthy. You can add nuts as I sometimes do now. I also sometimes just add banana to this recipe to switch things up a bit. I also like the Starbucks banana walnut bread, yum!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm a big fan of the semi-homemade style of cooking. Do muffins count like bread? Easy to add in mashed banana, pureed sweet potato, squash, apple, peaches, etc!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found this recipe for "breakfast cookies" that I've been meaning to try.
    http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breakfastbrunch/peanut-butter-banana-oat-breakfast-cookies-with-carobchocolate-chips/?print=1

If anyone makes them, let me know how they turn out!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    we do a lot if muffins (I make mini muffins so he can have 1, 2 or more) - I do zucchini muffins which are easy to add walnuts to! I also make banana muffins and cranberry.

if she likes eggs, you could do egg muffins :) scramble up eggs, cooked sausage, veggies, cheese (whatever) and pour in a muffin tin and bake. they'd be warm and portable.

or savory muffins using corn bread and mixing in drained black beans or chopped cooked meats, or veggies.
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Whatever you bake, try substituting half of the oil with plain yogurt. It reduces the fat and adds calcium. :D
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    I really like baked oatmeal. It has all kinds of stuff in it, you can make it in your slowcooker, and then you cut wedges like a cake. Delicious and incredibly good for you. I'll look for a recipe to put on here.
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!