Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Girl hair - to cut, or not to cut

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Emerson has been blessed with a ton of hair. So much so, that I have been able to French braid starting at 13 months. I love that she has a lot of hair, but now, at almost 17 mos. she starting to look a little shaggy, but I haven't cut it so far because I believe babies suddenly change to little kids after that first cut. it's coming soon though...bith her haircut and her big kid status.

Has anyone ever cut to a "style" on that first cut? Like a bob, or a layering or something other than a straight trim across the back?
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Just boys here but I'm SO picky on their hair cuts! Every detail & have been like that since their 1st hair cut. Riley had his 1st at 15-months. He had simple curls & I loved it. I had a hard time doing his 1st cut & yes he looked older :-( but dashing!
    Z was born with SO much hair! Plus he has double calicks that makes a very odd looking mohawk! It's tricky to have cut so we took him to a very nice place at 4-days-old. Everyone was nice then we went back at 3-months & the lady was very clearly judging us for cutting his hair so young. It was always simple trims.

Anyways if I had a girl I'm not fond of short hair but would also never do a simple straight across cut either. One time with Z a lady with out saying a word seconds after he say down just cut off a huge chunk of his bangs area & then goes oh I assume you want a regular boys hair cut. I was SO pissed! We don't have long bangs for them but she cut then SO short! It was not possible to even fix around the chunk.
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    I love short hair on little girls! Probably easier to maintain, too. If we ever have a girl, she's getting a Louise Brooks style bob until she's old enough to demand otherwise!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    We are 1 month shy of Kate's 4th birthday and she hasn't had that first cut yet! She was not so fortunate in the hair dept and it is so thin a cut might help but now that she is old enough to have an opinion she wants nothing to do with it. It isn't a battle I care to fight at this point. I know I wouldn't be brave enough to get a "real" cut the first time around but if you are I say go for it!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I am a long hair lover...I haven't cut mine--except for some bangs in over 25 yrs...yes, I can sit on it. One of my daughers is 14 and has never had a haircut...all my girls had long hair until they were in high school and they decided on a change...It takes some work. I would say if your daughter hates to have her hair brushed or won't leave in barretts and such yes, it is much less hastle to have short hair. The haircutter probably has some great books of children's hairstyles you could browse through.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We haven't done a cut yet. Hair is so tricky based on what it is. E has curls, so we're really at a loss for what to do. It's getting a hit of a v shape in the back, so I think maybe a cut is coming soon?
    Whatever you do, my opinion is do not do it yourself!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    on a totally different note, did you know that some south american countries shave their baby boys's heads routinely?
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    O has quite a bit of hair too, not enough for French braids-- but lots of thick curls. People ask when I'm cutting it, I'm really not planning to for years, however if bangs were getting in her face that I couldn't pull back I would take her in for a little trim.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    My 4 year old has fast growing hair. I keep it just below shoulder length, and she has layered bangs. Any longer, and her hair tangles like you wouldn't believe. Any shorter, and she's furious at me! It's super important to keep hair out of kids' eyes, though - their eyes are still developing, and it can affect their focus development, and I've found bangs by far the easiest way to control this.
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    Bronx isn't a girl and I know you are asking for suggestions from parents of girls but we also plan on letting his hair grow long. It is growing sooooo fast!! When it's wet it is down his back but when it's dry the curls make it seem shorter. I would just be concerned if it was getting stringy and she was having split ends. Split ends damage the hair and make it much thinner than it could be. A teeny tiny small trim could get rid of split ends and it keeps the hair healthy and actually aids it to grow longer. We aren't planning to cut Bs hair anytime soon. I even put it in pony tails when we are home. Everyone calls him a girl, EVERYONE! I don't get the whole gender issue of why boys can't have long hair but whatever. When he asks us for a hair cut we will cut it, until then it stays long a pretty :)
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm definately not cutting Em's hair myself. That would be disasterous. I didn't even mention my concerns about her sitting still long enough not to get scissors in the eye.

The irony is - I dragged my feet FOREVER on getting Jack's hair cut because he had these glorious curls and this yellow blonde hair that was to die for. He was 26 months when he got his first cut, and now I am contemplating our GIRL's hair cut way sooner! Emerson's hair does soft flippy things that are also cute, but it is not curly. It's more about the front of her hair, which goes to almost her chin. She will let me braid her hair while she is in her high chair eating, otherwise I can clip a quick barrett or we use the small rubber bands for a "pebbles" pigtail. It also does this swirl thing and parts strongly to one side - so everything is a "side" style, braids, pony tails, barretts - it's weird.

We will probably wait a little longer - maybe until the bangs get just past her chin and then do a "Scout - To Kill A Mockingbird" bob.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Shiloh is 4 and I have not cut her hair yet. I'll have to soon though. I don't want it to get so long that she can sit on it! As for cutting into a style, it would be nice to see coryandamanda comment because their little Haidyn had an adorable style cut recently :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    mld123mld123 Posts: 11
    edited November -1
    I just got Maddey's haircut for the first time about 1 month ago - so almost 4 years old. Her hair is curly and took forever to get really long. Eventually it was hard to comb and keep manageable so I broke down and got about 2 inches cut off. Nothing major.
    Marlo (40) SMBC
    DD - 11/16/2008

age.png