Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

kate update

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Just wanted to let you know that I *think* we finally got a diagnosis for Kate's 7 week long illness - Mono. Which of course makes perfect sense with her symptoms but when they did a Mono test early on in the illness it was negative. The first test was a quick finger prick/cbc done in the office. This was a full blood draw with an entire EBV panel. The result was positive but not active so she must just have been "kicking it" when we finally did the full blood test. I had parent/teacher conference this morning and it really solidifies that was what has been going on when her teacher talked about how she's been doing in school this year - having trouble finishing what she starts, concentrating, focusing and having energy to play - especially outside/active play. I really wished I would have pressed sooner for further testing - not that there is any treatment for mono but I certainly would have kept her home, encouraged more rest etc.

She has been doing great for a whole week so I'm hopefull we are past it now. Thanks everyone for their concern and advice/opinions. I really appreciate it.
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor Kate! I had mono in 7th grade and I remember how horrible it felt, I just dragged along every day for SO LONG!
    I'm glad to hear she's on the upswing! On a positive note, mono is one of those things you can only get once! When all my friends had it in college, I didn't get sick at all. Hopefully she's back to her old perky self in no time!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Glad you now know. It has to feel better to have a diagnosis that explains many things for you. I hope she recovers fully very quickly.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear that's the diagnosis; much better prognosis than Lyme disease!! I had mono about 9 years ago now, and I still remember it took a while to realize I had it and a while after that to get over it. You do just feel off and dragging for a long time. I hope she'll be over it soon and back to her regular self.

Interestingly, I thought mono was something you just caught; but I also got it after getting several other things that seemed like my autoimmune system was down. When they finally diagnosed it, I also had a lymph node infection, sinus infection, and strep that had all gone unnoticed by an ER physician (who told me I was probably just faking it so I wouldn't have to start school in a week because summer vacation was ending) five days earlier. My primary physician saw me and diagnosed the lymph node infection, and an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor figured out the rest the following day. A few years ago when Justin was sick from the second week of September through the week before Thanksgiving, he also came down with hand/foot/mouth disease and erythema multiforme (really weird welt-covered body rash that is also an auto-immune reaction), so watch out for those as well. They seem to be easy to catch when your immune system is overburdened.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    tellytelly Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    If you dont mind expaining, what exactly is mono ?
    2014-04-26%2000.27.50.jpg

eNortjKzUjIyNDI3tFSyBlwwFXgC0w,,63.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kari - I remember when Justin had all of that going on! That's how it always is for Kate, even when it hasn't been mono in the past her immune system gets attacked all at once as soon as it shows weakness (usually around the same time of the year). In the last 7 weeks she has had tonsilitis, an ear infection and a weird rash on the back of her neck. She has a swollen lymph node and the elevated white blood count as well (and those were both still present last Thursday when we saw the doctor so I'm still a little nervous about her body being ravaged by something else before she has a chance to completely rebound).

Telly - mono is a virus, specifically the Epstein Barr virus (also known as the kissing disease because it is spread through saliva) which is part of the herpes family. You can google it for more specifics on symptoms etc.

My doctor confirmed today that the quick, finger prick, in office test they did early on was just too early. She said it has to be about 1-2 weeks old before that test will pick it up. I really wish I would have known that - I would have pushed for a re test when I couldn't figure out why she wasn't bouncing back from the tonsilitis after the antibiotics.

Looking back I am just kicking myself because I just KNEW something was going on. I'm just glad it wasn't anything more serious. Trust your Maternal instincts ladies! I'm just relieved she will never have this when she is older. I never did (that I know of) but everyone that has just describes it as awful and based on the last 7 weeks I would have to agree!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh thank goodness! I have been so worried it was going to be lyme! Not that mono is good but if lyme goes unchecked it can affect the rest of your life! So happy she has had a good week and hopefully she will be back to her ol' self in no time! :)
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear that you got an answer. The unknown can cause a lot of anxiety. Sounds like she is finally on the mend. Do they give antibiotics for mono?
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, no antibiotics. It is just a virus that has to run it's (very long) course!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    mld123mld123 Posts: 11
    edited November -1
    I am glad that you have an answer. It must be really frustrating knowing you child is sick and no one can figure it out. I hope that Kate feels better soon.
    Marlo (40) SMBC
    DD - 11/16/2008

age.png
  • Options
    OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    Whew! Glad you were able to get an answer, and while mono sounds like no fun at all I'm glad it wasn't lymes! Hope she's back up to her usual self soon. :)
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png