Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

need to vent....

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Kate tested positive for strep today. Yesterday she had a stomach bug and vomited non stop from 4-5:30 am. This kid can seriously not catch a break when it comes to her health!

What I really need to vent about though is that I have done EVERYTHING in my power to help her be healthy and I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall. I breastfed for almost 3 years, she eats a very healthy balanced mostly organic diet, gets good exercise each day, gets 12 hours sleep every day, takes immune boosting supplements and vitamins and was taught proper hand washing (and has done it) before most kids are even allowed in the bathroom alone! I know it is just the luck (or lackthereof) of the draw but it is still frustrating. I can't let myself get too frustrated though - imagine how sick she would be if we didn't do all of these things.

And I don't mean to make it seem like she is SO sick. I'm thankful everyday that her illnesses have never been severe. I'm just frustrated and hate seeing her constantly not feeling well and feeling helpless.

I'm not really looking for advice and I know we are doing all of the right things and there is no magic bullet so thanks for letting me be mad at no one inparticular!
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember is this her first year in school? They say the first year in school (or public daycare) is HORRIBLE! No matter how good they eat, wash etc they are just bombarded so so many new "bugs" they can't help but get them. The good news is, after about a year the body settles down and has immunity to all the new "cooties"!
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Michgirl - she just started her 3rd year! Even the "typical" encouraging scenarios don't work for her!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Sorry - been there - Maggie's started the month she started daycare and didn't end until she had her tonsils removed (think 2 solid years). I know that isn't what Kate's problem is, but I have been there.

I hope she feels better soon.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Hopefully all the things she's been through as a toddler and is going through as a preschooler will build her immunity for later years in school. No question you're a good mommy and have gone above and beyond to ensure her health. Hope Kate bounces back quickly from this latest malady!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear she's sick again :( on the plus side, at least this was something easily tested for and identified so she can get the right meds right away and start feeling better ASAP! One thing to be thankful for, I guess! Hope she feels better soon!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just got over strep, actually it progressed to Scarlet Fever...which is strep with a rash. I had no idea that vomiting was a part of strep, but Jack was physically ill the whole time he had it. Maybe her vomiting was just part of the strep.

The cycles of illnesses are no fun, some kids are just more prone to illness than others. We've had the stomach flu in our 3x this year...we feel lucky when we have straight weeks of health in our family.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I feel quite similar. I try so hard with Riley. He eats very very healthy. Mostly organic & I'm very careful on ingredients. I have slacked some on treats - cookies and such though just some. Clearly no soda, foods like hot dogs, specific juice & limited. Vitamins & such. I feel bad for him and it gets frustrating that the children I watch are always so much healthier or what they have is mild. R was sick for 5-months straight minus maybe 6-days. It was crazy! Luckily he has done well since March. With how my employers are and act it was go honestly embarrassing. Riley was always bringing something into their home though they rarely caught it. At one point he was throwing up 15-20 times a day! There was not much else I could do. I also nursed until 17-months. I tried so hard & he was just always so sick. Like I said better but still no where near other children. Anything they do both get Riley stays sick longer & its a bit worse. It can be very frustrating especially when your trying so hard.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear this. I know from your posts you have gone above and beyond in your efforts to keep Kate healthy. It's frustrating, but on the bright side you are instilling some really great and solid habits into her daily life that will surely pay off in the long run-- healthy food choices, good hygiene, balanced sleep patterns etc :)
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Justin had a season of illness a few years ago. It's like the autoimmune system gets over-taxed and they just start getting everything that's going around. It absolutely sucks. I hope she gets over this soon!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    KYSTKYST Posts: 148
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, I was always sick. I had terrible allergies that I took shots for. I caught everything-measles, mumps, chicken pox, strep, mono....I even got hepatitis. But I have been a VERY healthy adult. I hardly ever even catch cold. I tell you all of this to give you some hope. Maybe Kate will be like me in the sense that she gets it all over with now and is a healthy adult. Hang in there, I know its hard to have her sick all the time.