Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Justin diagnosed with sensory processing disorder

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
So, after several of my posts about Justin's behavior, I thought I should share that he finally got a diagnosis that makes sense this morning: sensory processing disorder. I met with a recommended OT/PA/homeopathic health professional who met with Justin and me for about 15 minutes, then talked with just me for another hour and a half about everything from how many times I'd been sick while pregnant, to Justin's vax schedule, to how well he sleeps/eats/poops/dresses, to everything under the sun. Then she came up with the diagnosis. I meet with her again in a few weeks to start a homeopathic remedy. I'm guessing from what she hinted at that she'll suggest dropping dairy and food coloring first, and starting a probiotic (I picked one up today to start early, which she okayed).

What she gleaned from what I talked about was that he has mild tactile sensitivities (doesn't like tags, won't wear jeans or "stiff" pants, wouldn't switch from diapers to underwear until I bought the tagless boxer-brief kind), oral motor sensitivity syndrome (extremely strong gag reflex - pukes at least once a month while eating dinner, can make himself puke on cue, and dislikes certain food textures like meat), spatial boundaries (will run in circles when overstimulated to create a physical spacial boundary for himself), transition challenges (he didn't want to leave the waiting room to come into her office without bringing something from the waiting room in, which she said was common), and fine motor delays (already tested those a few weeks ago). She also said he has social pragmatic language delays, but I'm going to have to google what that means as he definitely doesn't have any language delays.

She echoed what I've been thinking lately, that he isn't misbehaving on purpose. In fact, most of the time when I punish him, he's clueless as to why he's being punished. And time-outs did not good. She gave a good analogy that when he walks into an unfamiliar area (restaurant, grocery story, story hour, or even her office), it's like a flock of seagulls is descending on him and he has to mentally bat them away while also try to take in what's going on around him. It's just too much information and he doesn't have the skills to take it in the way a normal person might by just skimming the room and focusing on the important parts and tuning out the rest. His tuner won't let him ignore the non-essentials.

Interestingly, she said if I were to try and use time-outs, I should make him jump on a trampoline or a hippity hop for 3 minutes! I guess movement helps him process information better vs. sitting still. I'm picturing myself saying, "Justin, stop hitting your sister and go to your hippity hop!" with a straight face. I'll let you know how that goes! :)
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's great that you finally have an idea of where to start finding help!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    IbelieveIbelieve Posts: 471
    edited November -1
    It is great that it has finally been figured out and now you can understand Justin's behavior and why he does what he does and how you can help him.
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on getting one step closer to finding a solution that will work for both you and your son.

More than one person with sensory processing issues seems to be in each of the three living generation of my family. Tag hate, difficulty with too much stimulation, hyper hearing or smell (can hear your heartbeat, a car door shut a block away, or smell changes in your biochemistry), fine motor skill issues with some textures, an ability to become super focused on a problem/puzzle/toy...

Almost everyone who has these types of traits report feeling much better when they stay away from cows milk. Roughly 50% feel like he or she has greater control with pushing the irrelevant information away when he or she keeps gluten free.

Each affected family member is loving, kind, intelligent, articulate, has made friends and other relationships. Those old enough to work enjoy working in a fulfilling career (steel fabricator, nurse, tax professional) and frequently stay with the same employer for unusually long periods of time. The adults have kids, spouses, and in-laws that like them.

Someone who sees the world differently than the neurologically normal may just have a little extra magic in their senses.
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing this - I think you just helped me solve a mystery about a child in my preschool class!!

Justin is very lucky to have such an incredible mom!!! Keep up the great work!!!
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    wasnervouswreckwasnervouswreck Posts: 356
    edited November -1
    Kari at work they had a catalog of interesting toys that might help your son. The companies name is abilitations. The website is Abilitations.com it has some educational toys etc that can be easily duplicated at half the cost that they are asking.