Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

conceived by at home insem

ttc.2013ttc.2013 Posts: 5
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I will be starting at home insem soon and would like some encouragement. Please post if you have had success. I would also love any tips. I am a little stressed :D
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    My biggest tip is don't be stressed. That may be very hard but I honestly believe it helped. 10 BFB cycles ranging from 1-3 vials. I did every possible tip & suggestion. Tracked for a few months & checked my cervix. That was a major help! BFN the first cycle back though I knew it was way to late. Next month I tried again with one vial and got my BFP
    I did not stress & honestly gave up hope so it was more of a get this last vial done with & be do e TTC. I took a OPK & was surprised I already O. Checked my cervix & it looked great. I was unable to AI until later. Jumped up after 2 seconds & basically forgot about it. Only tested due to being emotional. I did not even know how many dpo I was.

My next tries maybe early next year I'll chart for several months & then just not worry. I came to hate TTC when I stressed.
  • Options
    TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I conceived twice at home. I lost my first baby in April, but am now pregnant again!

The best thing you can do for yourself is NOT to be stressed. Easier said than done--I know. lol. I was VERY stressed the first couple months I tried. If you look at my signature you will see that stress kills ovulation. I have two very long unovulatory cycles, which competely threw my cycle out of whack and I ended up wasting money on vials when I later learned I never ovulated. Luckily I managed to calm myself down *deep breaths* and I tried again for the third time and actually ovulated. Granted, it didn't work, but It was at least a true try to which I was grateful. I did conceive the 4th try, but lost the baby. I tried for the 5th time and am now pregnant with a little girl!

I conceived this baby using two vials and spacing them at 12 & 18 hours after +OPK. I tracked my temps for about a year and a half and actually stopped before conceiving this baby because it was stressing me out!! I used the knowledge of my cycles to determine when the best time to insem would be. I also used the Clearblue Smiley's for OPK's (they're the BEST), I also get ovulation cramping, so I know when I feel that it's time to do the insem. You really have to listen to your body and trust your instincts! I used a baby oral syringe, but no catheter. I did a regular ici and mixed the vials with preseed, hung out with my butt in the air for a while (few minutes) and then put in an instead cup. Hung out a while longer (about an hour and a half), until I felt everything that was going to get there got there!

Good luck for when you decide to try!!
  • Options
    HopingForBFPHopingForBFP Posts: 520
    edited November -1
    I conceived 3 times at home. The first was an early loss though. I posted what I did for this little one I'm pregnant with. You can do a search with my screen name.

Good Luck!!
    8688290472_8f0eb25fa6_z.jpg
    age.png
    9346155527_f7f126c056.jpg
    age.png
    BFP- 8/9/09 at 10DPO, after 4 years TTC. Sydnee born on April 14th 2010. BFP #2 at 11DPO 9/29/12. Due 6/11/13
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did at home alone....TWINS
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    We conceived 4 times at home. 3 of our kids were first try successes and one took 4 tries. Our info is in the BFP database.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    I conceived all mine at home too :) My stats are also in the BFP database

I would say that the most important thing is just knowing your body. Once you really start paying attention to all the little things, identifying when you ovulate, cycle length, LP, etc is much, much easier!
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    You can do it! Just about the whole world was populated by at-home conceptions and we're not all that far off the norm here :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    I did an at-home IUI this bfp. Or at least it was a very deep ici (into the cervix, as opposed to ivi which outside the cervix.)

A friend, one year older than myself, had just gotten pregnant with an Re do I just followed what her instructions were: do smileys until it smiled, and then go in for iui. Her insem was about 20 hrs post smiley and she got a bfp so I did the same. My IUI was about 22ish hrs post smiley. One thing we both did differently from the re's instructions, we both did multiple smiley/day rather than just one.

I had temp charted in the past and it was interesting. I have a pretty normal chart. But after I heard it it can take up to 24 hours for the temp to rise, post ovulation, I didn't feel it was as useful in pinpointing anything. It did appear I ovulated sometime the day after smiley, not the second day after. This doesn't mean I won't temp again I the future because it does help with feeling more in tune with the cycle.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all your replies :) It really helps to see that others have gone through this and had success.
  • Options
    SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got pregnant at home on the first try, miscarried, switched donors, and got pregnant again on the first try (and have a rotten, wonderful 15 month old).
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had a Dr. apt today and my RE thinks it iis a waste of time, but I am hoping to prove him wrong.
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    My RE said the same thing. It was annoying and she didn't know the people on here who have successfully gotten pregnant at home!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    njmommanjmomma Posts: 531
    edited November -1
    My RE said the same thing, and she actually laughed at me. She asked me to describe to her how I would do it, which I did explain to her, then she laughted and told me that since it didn't work 3 times at her office, it is not going to work at home if I do it by myself. Well, I proved her wrong, haha. The first time I tried it at my own home all by myself with just one vial resulted in my baby girl. :):)
    PL87cIN.jpgPL87m4.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    We tried IUIs with a doctor for 4 cycles (2 for each of us) and THAT was a waste of time. We did at home inseminations (ICI & IUI) and my wife "knocked me up" our 4th try and then vice versa. Her 1st pregnancy miscarried but on our 1st attempt after the miscarriage, I got her pregnant again! Woo hoo! So we've been successful 3 times at home using frozen sperm. It's intimidating at first, but then suddenly it's not anymore and you wonder why you ever thought it was such a crazy idea. SO much less stressful than coordinating with doctors. You can do it! :)
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    njmomma - So did you contact your RE afterwards? I can imagine sending them a holiday card with a picture of your little one, written at the bottom, "CONCEIVED AT HOME. ON MY 1ST ATTEMPT. BOOYA!"
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MNmommas wrote:
    njmomma - So did you contact your RE afterwards? I can imagine sending them a holiday card with a picture of your little one, written at the bottom, "CONCEIVED AT HOME. ON MY 1ST ATTEMPT. BOOYA!"
    MNmommas, I never contacted her, but you gave me a great idea. Now I am really thinking about sending her a holiday card with a picture of my baby and a message "conceived at home, on my 1st atempt. Booya!' Haha, lol. I love it, I should do that. :)
    PL87cIN.jpgPL87m4.png
  • Options
    preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
    edited December 2012
    MNmommas - I think that is a great idea... about the card :)

njmomma--- If I were you, I think I would really be tempted to send a nice holiday card (especially since the Re laughed at you.... not very professional).
    I know some people may really need help from an RE... but after reading so many stories where the RE didn't get someone pregnant, and then they get pregnant on their own, I kind of wonder.... maybe some of them don't want to put themselves out of business too fast.....? :/

Your baby is such a cutie!
    lg2wm5.png
    ........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
  • Options
    TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would they ever suggest you do an insem at home when you can do it in their office and PAY for it?? lol You know it's true! Of course, I know many women who need the extra help for fertility reasons, but for a doctor to tell you it simply "won't work" is ridiculous!
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    Hahaha, I'm still laughing at the "BOOYA!"

We conceived our son at home on the second try. We used two ICI vials: one at 7 hours past smiley and one at 24 hours past smiley. By the way, we highly recommend PreSeed!

Good luck! :)
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you preciousgift. :)
    I also recommend using preseed. I think it helps the sperm live longer, or something like that. Also taking basal temperature for few months prior, helped me to pintpoint on what day I ovulated.
    I love the BOOYA part too. :)
    Good luck! :)
    PL87cIN.jpgPL87m4.png
  • Options
    MelandTara01MelandTara01 Posts: 557
    edited November -1
    I'm laughing at the BOOYA!!!....HAHAHA! I think you should do the card for sure! :lol::lol:
    TTC #1 10/2012 -- BFN
    TTC #2 11/2012 -- BFP!!! :)
    0ia8m5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are all so wonderful! I really needed all the encouragement! My RE said to go ahead and try it but he refuses to store extra vials in his lab for "liability reasons". I was hoping to save on shipping. Oh well...
  • Options
    LbakerLbaker Posts: 234
    edited November -1
    We got our bfp on the first try at home! Good luck!
    4470a244-b3a2-4de4-ae57-11b81542c124_zpsdcbfdc20.jpg2ec06ca7-63d1-40da-a28d-1cb24fa3c150_zps63478b0d.jpg
    KrIUm5.png
  • Options
    andrea1281andrea1281 Posts: 128
    edited November -1
    I got pregnant at home too. I had a few IUIs in doc's office before that and they didn't work. Sometimes I think being in your own environment helps you to relax more and gets you pregnant!
  • Options
    lanie&vivlanie&viv Posts: 81
    edited November -1
    I haven't been on in a long time but I wanted to say our rotten 23m old was conceived at home! :D
    imagejpeg_2Wt.jpg