Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Herbs & supplements

emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I'm only about 5 minutes pregnant....and here's one of about a thousand questions I have. Did any of you ladies take any herbs and/or supplements once you found out you were pregnant? I've been taking royal jelly and fish oil capsules, and I've also been taking Chinese herbs in conjunction with acupuncture. I've stopped the royal jelly, but have continued the fish oil. I'm going to talk with my acupuncturist this week to ask if I should stop the herbs...just wondering what types of supplements/treatments all you mom's out there took (other than the standard prenatal vitamin) that helped you achieve a healthy baby. Thanks so much!
1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
age 36 evtim8.png
age 39 K8qxm7.png
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I prefer to stick to the simple...too many supplements are not advisable during pregnancy, especially considering they can make morning sickness worse. Eat clean and take a good prenatal, that's my very simple advice...coming from a Mom of one super healthy toddler and currently finishing out an incredibly easy pregnancy with one healthy baby in sight. :-)
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Agree with what everyone else said, with the caveat that really, whatever you decide, especially since you seem to do your research, will be fine. Also, CONGRATS on your pregnancy!!! :) That is awesome news - hope it's a very sticky bean!
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    andrea1281andrea1281 Posts: 128
    edited November -1
    Continue with the fish oil. That is not typically part of a pre-natal. (omega3 fatty acids) That is the only thing I would recommend. ( I'm a chiropractor who deals with nutritional supplements). You have to be very careful with herbals. A lot of them are contraindicated in pregnancy. I agree with the others. Keep it simple. Congrats!!
  • Options
    beyondobsessedbeyondobsessed Posts: 804
    edited November -1
    I would have to check for sure, but I think I remember reading somewhere that royal jelly shouldn't be taken during pregnancy. I could be wrong or confusing it with a different supplement.

I just took a daily prenatal vitamin, and when I remembered, I took a DHA supplement to help with baby's eye/brain development.

Congrats on your pregnancy!
    squsqusrd20120522_-6_Our+Little+Man+is.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Our mw suggests omegas, calcium, magnesium, iron and folic acid... either in a prenatal or separate. And eat as well as you can, but don't stress it if all you can handle are french fries for a few day at a time if/when morning sickness hits!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would have to check for sure, but I think I remember reading somewhere that royal jelly shouldn't be taken during pregnancy. I could be wrong or confusing it with a different supplement.

I just took a daily prenatal vitamin, and when I remembered, I took a DHA supplement to help with baby's eye/brain development.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Thank you! Yes, royal jelly seems to be the questionable one because there's not been any research on its effects during pregnancy...but I must give some credit to it for helping to get me where I am :) I was told that I could have poor egg quality, so hopefully I popped out a strong egg that turned into the embryo inside now :)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    andrea1281 wrote:
    Continue with the fish oil. That is not typically part of a pre-natal. (omega3 fatty acids) That is the only thing I would recommend. ( I'm a chiropractor who deals with nutritional supplements). You have to be very careful with herbals. A lot of them are contraindicated in pregnancy. I agree with the others. Keep it simple. Congrats!!

Thank you! I will continue the fish oil...the one I currently take is labeled "mercury free" .... I've heard that too much mercury is the major concern with fish oil.
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • Options
    TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm taking Nature Made Prenatals + DHA, which is basically Omega 3 Fish Oil. It's supposed to be really good for the baby's brain and eye development. The doctor has also put me on additional calcium and iron supplements. The calcium is fine to take but I have to limit the iron because it makes me constipated!!