Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Potty training boys

coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
edited January 2013 in Parenting and Life
Planning ahead for this fun-filled event :rolleyes: Just wondering how you go about it, especially with no male in the house to show them the ropes. Do they sit down first to pee and then after they have mastered the actual training, you move onto standing up? At what age? If you teach them standing up from the get go, do you only do so if they potty train at a later age, like 3+? I always figured sit down first and then stand by the time they start school, but Amanda's mom (at her dad's demand) trained her brothers to stand up from the beginning. I don't see how that is possible because usually in the beginning of training they kinda "accidentally" go on the potty while sitting on it and then they are like OOHHHHH OK I am supposed to pee in there because it makes my moms very excited! LOL Any input appreciated.
July 4, 2015
image_2.jpgu

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The boys I've trained have all started sitting down and move to standing up later on.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    my son started sitting down but moved to standing up within a few weeks (it's easier!). but yeah, initially I had him sit to do all of his business.

and just a heads up (I've been told this is a boy thing) - he'll want an audience. LOL 3.5 years later and he still calls me in to sit with him while he poops. *shrug* LOL
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    So Z and R seemed to be slightly late in the potty training area. Z www started at 2.5 however he was scared to death to poop!!! We put it off a few months & tried again. Same thing so for 1.5 years we had a serious pooping issue. R I started about 6-7 months ago at a little past 2 & tried for 4 months. His speech was so behind he could not communicate with us very well nor did he seem to care if you had an accident so after four months we kind of gave up and took a break. He now is 2 years 10 months and we started about 2 weeks ago. It is going great. I wanted to wait until after the holidays to try. He tells me often if he needs to pee & stays dry a lot of the time. We tried potty training earlier then what they were however the boys just did not get it. Z had the pooping issues and Riley the speech. The little boy I watch learned quick at 18-months & before 2 was out of diapers even at night.

We do sitting down at first as has all of the families with bpys that I have nannied for. Honestly at 2 Riley I highly doubt he would be able to aim well! Z pees in front of him all the time though. Teaching to pee standing up was easy. Z did it in the shower a few times :-/ and then if he had to pee on the go I would just let him stand behind a tree. He thought it was funny so once he was big enough he used the regular toilit well. With boys it's important that you pick the perfect potty chair or they will pee right over it! Baby Bjorn's (I think that's the brand?) makes great ones!!!
    Z at 4, almost 5 can aim pretty well but I still need to clean the whole toilet 2-3 times a week.
  • Options
    beanandmaggiebeanandmaggie Posts: 2
    edited November -1
    I did sit down first also. It took #1 forever to stand, but #2 stood within a few weeks because he had a role model. I kept empty water bottles in the car for emergency stops...clean and easy. Also...be sure to teach him to keep his pants up and only pull his penis out before he starts school. I learned that the hard way.
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sit down first. However, peeing outside standing up was always super exciting (and still is). Friendamy I think it's hilarious that your son wants an audience - naturally I have the opposite experience to share - our son has wanted "privacy" to poop for at least the last 1.5 years....this entails coming with him, standing outside the door and waiting. He is still a little timid about the noise of the flush, however he does all of his own wiping, which is big deal in our house. Best of LUck!
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    At daycare they're taught to sit down and point it down. At home he practiced peeing standing up in the tub before his bath, but he pees sitting down on the potty.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I love that I can now chime in on potty training threads...for boys specifically. :-)
    Sebastian is now 100% potty trained at 21 months.
    All of our friends with boys potty trained them sitting first and most of the boys just eventually stood, usually by school age. Sebastian sits to pee and the big one is just making sure they point their penis down into the toilet. I should think potty training a boy while standing would definitely not work when they are as young as our guy and the mess that comes along with practicing aim while standing just doesn't sound fun!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I trained them sitting down and Jorddan still sits, Jax however saw a boy stand and pee at daycare and now thinks he too needs to stand! UGH! He stands on a stool and holds on to the open toilet seat (causing him to lean over the toilet, thus 98% of the pee goes into the toilet). I have taught him he needs to clean up after he pees if he misses. The biggest mess I have had with them standing is when Jax FORGOT to turn around and SIT DOWN before he pooped the other day!!!! All over the floor.......
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son refused to sit on a toilet to pee so he trained standing up. His aim was pretty good....I would throw a few cheerios into the toilet and tell him to try to hit them.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    2moms2be2moms2be Posts: 226
    edited November -1
    @ other loving mom, that is what i was going to say HA! I heard that is how Rosie taught her soon to pee standing up LOL
    Try#1 BFN Try#2 BFN Try#3 BFN Try#4 BFN Try#5 BFN Try#6 BFN Try#7 (after 8 months off) BFP!!! We are MOMS!
    475374_4381287044509_1614899970_o.jpg
    ojalm5.png
  • Options
    cocolibbycocolibby Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    All of ours sat down. 2 out of 3 potty trained themselves before age two. I can't remember exactly when they started standing up at the toilet, but we would let them pee outside and they loved that between 2-3. Their toilet aim still completely sucks at ages 7, 10 & 16. SO gross!

Oh and they've all gone through naughty peeing phases - as in, peeing in the bathroom sink, the cat litter box, potted plants, etc. But only one ever wanted an audience, the youngest. still likes to sing really loud while he's in there, just to make sure we all know what's happening, I guess. Have fun!!
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and teach sitting down! Our teenaged sons stand, but Tim is a sitter, and I can see the difference when the boys are home to when they ar enot in terms of toilet cleanliness!

Can't help too much with the process though - its been 12 years since I had a potty training boy, :) My "thing" with all kids is to have the potty accesable, allow to watch older siblings/parents pee in the toilet, talk about it and follow their leads. Have fun!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!