Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Drinking Water During Labor

TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Okay, so I know drinking tons of water during pregnancy is great for you. I drink like a gallon a day and have had a great pregnancy - no braxton hicks or anything. Plus, of course, it keeps you and baby from being dehydrated.

So I've read that drinking a lot of water during labor is a good thing too. I've read it helps your muscles contract which will keep labor moving at a good pace, if not even speed it up. Yet I've also read just the opposite: "The study revealed that women who drank more than 2.5 liters during labor had a 25 percent greater chance of hyponatraemia, which can produce nausea, vomiting, headaches or more dangerous problems if left unchecked. In severe cases it can cause swelling of the brain or even coma."

So now I don't know WHAT to think, especially for me in those early hours of laboring at home before heading to the hospital. Here's the link to the "anti" drinking water site. But there are tons of websites about the benefits of drinking water. What do you think?

[url] http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1631763/drinking_water_during_labor_carries_risk/[/url]

Comments

• Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I think a lot of it will depend on you. when I was in labor, I didn't want to drink much of anything. I sucked on life savers and sipped water when my mouth got dry. but I felt nauseous once hard labor kicked in and I didn't want anything! :)

I'd say drink what you're comfortable with, if you want it. I wouldn't force myself to drink water if I didn't want it, or deny myself water if I wanted it. barfing will be the least if your worries :)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    Food and water are pretty essential when in labor. How else will you replenish your body? It's like working out for several hours in a row with out any water to rehydrate you. My midwife recommends sipping on water throughout labor to make sure the body stays energized and that you keep your strength.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I labored for a long time at home with our son and ate light meals and snacks throughout the day and drank lots of fluids. During active labor I was drinking water right up until the serious pushing started with both of my kids. I was thirsty and also happen to be one of those.people that always has to be drinking something. Labor was no different for me.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    I drank lots of water while I labored at home (roughly 17 hours) and ate when I was hungry. I remember guzzling water on the way to the hospital because I was afraid they would limit me to ice chips. Ha! Once I was settled in at the hospital, they brought me a cup of ice water and let me drink as much as I wanted. I didn't drink much after active labor set in (about the same time as when we got to the hospital), but I was glad to have it there as an option. :)
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    Hyponaetremia is a risk when you are only drinking large amounts of water with nothing else. If you are also eating, or drinking gatorade, or just sipping, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks ladies.
    ncmomstobe wrote:
    Hyponaetremia is a risk when you are only drinking large amounts of water with nothing else. If you are also eating, or drinking gatorade, or just sipping, you'll be fine.

And this is good to know because I had never heard of this condition before!!
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Will your hospital give you the option? Our back up hospital will not let you drink water during labor.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the hospital. I'm mostly concerned with at home and all that waiting around until contractions are 5 min apart. I know at the hospital I'll be getting an IV though, so dehydration won't be a problem there. I'll probably be demanding ice chips. lol.
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Follow your body! If you are thirsty, sip some water, if you are not, don't! I drank water through all three of my labours, I didn't force fluids, when I get thirsty I sip!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    Ms.KateMs.Kate Posts: 1,216
    edited November -1
    I didn't really think about it, I just drank when I felt I needed water. I ended up drinking a lot of water during the pushing phase, as it lasted two hours and was physically grueling. I would say listen to your body on that one!