Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

When did you first hear your little one's heartbeat?

gonnabeamommasoongonnabeamommasoon Posts: 257
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
At my next OB appt I will be 10wks. But I carry all my extra weight in my stomach. I have a pretty big belly even tho I have lost a lot of weight. So I was wondering if I have a shot at hearing my little one's heartbeat at the appt? When did you hear yours? Were you overweight too? Just wondering so I don't absolutly freak out if I don't hear it. Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    I had an ultrasound at 8.5 weeks before my first OB appointment. I told them I didn't know how far along I was so I could get an early one. ;-) Anyway, She turned on the machine and immediately we could see and hear that heartbeat. I was there with my mom and best friend and all three of us cheered! And the b**** shushed us!! I was like excuse me for being happy my child is alive!! Anyway, that was fun. But a few days later at the OBs office the doctor could not find the heartbeat with the Doppler yet, so he brought in a mobile ultrasound machine. With this one you can see the heartbeat but I couldnt hear it. Ultrasounds can pick them up long before dopplers. At my next appointment at 13 weeks, he still warned me that we may not be able to pick it up with the doppler but we did :)

It's just different for everyone based on many things including baby's position, is what he told me.
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I'm like you and have a little extra padding. I heard Bronx's heartbeat at 8 weeks on ultrasound and this baby's at 7w4days on ultrasound. I think you will be fine at 10 weeks for sure.
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I didn't hear my DD's until 14 weeks. But saw it beating on the U/S before that. Good Luck
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Just doppler? If so, don't worry if you don't hear it yet. I do not have extra padding - well, I do now but I didn't then - and even so still couldn't hear our baby's at 11 or 12 weeks with doppler. She's 7 1/2 months out of the womb now. Of course, we did have an u/s at 8 wks so I had seen her alive & well. Have you had any u/s yet to see the LO?
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my u/s at 8 weeks and saw/heard the heartbeat. I think even if you're a little overweight they should still be able to pick it up on the ultrasound machine! It's not until later that the doc/midwife uses the handheld heartbeat thing that they may not pick it up until later. I think that was around 12 or 13 weeks for me. So you should be hearing it soon!!
  • Options
    wasnervouswreckwasnervouswreck Posts: 356
    edited November -1
    You'll hear it and in case they can't find it they will do transvaginal us .
  • Options
    beyondobsessedbeyondobsessed Posts: 804
    edited November -1
    I heard the heartbeat on transvaginal ultrasound at 6wks 5 days. We didn't even bother with trying the doppler yet. I did get a doppler to use at home, and heard the heartbeat at exactly 10 weeks.
    squsqusrd20120522_-6_Our+Little+Man+is.png
  • Options
    emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    transvaginal ultrasound at 6wks 2 days
    doppler at 8wks 2 days
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    my midwife doesn't even try the Doppler before 12 weeks. I was "fluffy" too and I heard it the first time she tried at 14wks :)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    peppyjdpeppyjd Posts: 114
    edited November -1
    We "saw" the heartbeat with the transvag US at 6 weeks, but it wasn't until 14 weeks that we heard it on the doppler. Our OB kept telling us at earlier appts that he was "gonna try" but wasn't worried at all about not hearing it on the doppler. Also, the transducer early on is placed pretty low, and there is less padding in that area. It's pretty amazing everytime you hear it!
    DP to 2moms2be
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    We didn't hear it until about 13.5 weeks on the doppler. DP has extra padding too. We also got an u/s and saw it at 9.5 weeks. Don't be disappointed if you don't hear it at 10 weeks, as its still early.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    gonnabeamommasoongonnabeamommasoon Posts: 257
    edited November -1
    I have not gotten to see LO yet. And I don't know when I will get to. I don't think I will get an u/s at my 10wk appt but who knows. I guess I need to call and ask a few more questions. It's good to know that if they can't find the HB then they may give me and u/s. I would love to see LO and his/her heart beating away!! Thanks for the input ladies!
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i'll never forget it. i had an ultrasound at 10 weeks 6 days because i was so sick the OB wanted to make sure i wasn't pregnant with twins or having a molar pregnancy. nope. just one little sticky with a beautiful heartbeat. i think you should be able to hear it at 10 weeks. keep us posted!
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i'll never forget it. i had an ultrasound at 10 weeks 6 days because i was so sick the OB wanted to make sure i wasn't pregnant with twins or having a molar pregnancy. nope. just one little sticky with a beautiful heartbeat. i think you should be able to hear it at 10 weeks. keep us posted!
  • Options
    RW17RW17 Posts: 197
    edited November -1
    With my first, we heard it at 11 weeks. She said some people don't hear it that early and have to return at 12 weeks.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I saw the HB on the u/s screen and 7 weeks and heard it for the first time at 10 weeks. Both made me sooooooo happy!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png