Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Hola mamas (potentials) I'm new w/tons of questions

neekerneeker Posts: 2
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi,
So I'm planning to ttc in June and will be a single mom by choice.
This donor avenue is very new to me and I have been doing my research for months but am still very much confused.
First question I thought that NW was one of the cryobanks that didn't require a doctor's note/ok but when I did a "trial" run and tried to order vials it asked me for a doctors email so a form could be filled out? I'm very confused.

Next questions has to do with the actual insemination I'm so confused as to what I'm doing. I understand the process and the actual insemination. I'm confused by the timing questions. So around my "fertile" days I use ovulation sticks and if I get a positive then that means I will ovulate in 12-36hrs? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Also in this hr window I would inseminate at hrs 12 and 24?

For the actual insemination: I let the sperm defrost and then just suck it up and insert it? What is this preseed stuff I have been reading about? I have studied that I need to find my cervix but I haven't been able to feel what they are referring too? Is it a requirement or can I just inject into the vaginal canal and elevate for 30mins?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    tyababyhopestyababyhopes Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    Hi, I'm new too but I've read/researched/asked enough to be able to answer some of your questions.

Preseed is lubricant. You can get it at places like walgreens or cvs. I didn't check but it may be available at walmart or target too. I googled it and found it on Walgreen's website.

In one of the other posts here there is a link to a website called Beautiful Cervix Project. That cleared up a lot for me. It's actual pictures of people who have photographs of their cervix and posted them. It also explains how to feel for your cervix. I tried it immediately and felt my cervix.

I'm using a doctor for the first month and then after that I'm going to do home insemination so I've been reading the posts on that also. Several people suggest doing a trial run with preseed, which I definitely will do. I think you are correct with your ovulation question but I'll be interested in seeing the answer just to make sure I've got it down.

Your questions gave me one of my own. Several people say they only purchase one vial at a time (which is what I will be doing). Is the vial enough for 2 insertions or just 1? For example, if you purchase one vial can you inseminate at 12 and 24 hours from that same vial?

Here are some posts that were very helpful: "Weird Question", "Change in Plans", and "ICI - Near the Cervix or In It." Of course the stickies at the top of TTC forum are great.

I hope this helps.
    dpo-1415340000z5z28z15.png
    #1 - August - BFN, Clomid and Pregnyl
    #2 - September - BFN, Clomid and Pregnyl
    #3 - October - BFN, Clomid and Pregnyl
    #4 - November - TWW, Progesterone CD 16+
  • Options
    neekerneeker Posts: 2
    edited November -1
    Thanks for replying! Ok got it as far as the preseed, but does it help motility in any way, or just keep the sperm alive longer?

I can answer your question regarding the insemination. One vial is enough for 1 insertion, because once the vial is thawed it can't be refrozen and the sperm would potentially be dead if it sits for 12 hr. I read some of the other answers on this forum and I got a consensus that most have ordered 2 vials, others have said anything more than 2 has been a waste. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    hopefulltwohopefulltwo Posts: 303
    edited November -1
    Welcome and all I can say is read and relax. All things can happen. Good luck!!
    Feb '13 - BFN March '13 - BFN
    April '13 - extra af - bfn ( i still think the smiley lied) reg. af - bfn
    June '13 - bfn July '13 - bfn Aug '13 - BFN Sept '13 - another bfn Oct '13 - bfn
    Nov '13 - well af showed a week early-BFN
    Dec '13 - BFN Jan '14 - BFN
    ah Feb '14 BFPPP!!!!! Expecting him to arrive around November tenth.
  • Options
    shauna2710shauna2710 Posts: 769 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Preseed is good if you are not a naturally lubricated gal. So if you don't get EWCM at ovulation, you probably want some preseed to help those swimmers make it alive to your cervix.

All Inseminations I did I only used one vial. It truly is up to you.
    Cycle 6 was my lucky cycle! BFP!!!
    EDD 12/13/2013
    It's identical TWINS! They're GIRLS!
    7/20/2013 Sweet Baby A lost her battle with IUGR.
    8/26/2013 Feisty Baby B was born via emergency CSection 16 weeks premature
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I think the most important thing...other than getting that paperwork worked out...is start some kind of charting...start with your cycle day 1---no spotting red blood---start documenting your cervical fluid...color consistency...stretchy or not...start testing with OPKs...I like using both Answer strips...the cheaper ones 20 per pack for less than $20 and the more expensive Clearblue "smileys" I like the Answer strips because you can go from stark white to darkening...doing your temps might help if you are pretty consistant with your sleep patterns...but mostly...the rise in temp will tell you when you have already ovulated...good for learning but you will need to AI before that...You CAN get your bfp with one vial but I like two... make sure and order a kit for each vial. You want sterile...if I was just starting out with no dr. I would stick with ICI vials and just use a syringe without the catheter. One of the best ways to time is watching that cm...when it gets very stretchy you are fertile...Don't use the preseed unless you really have to...and use is sparingly..you won't need much of it at all. There are lots of little tricks women have used and there sure have been several lucky first timers that get it all right the first time. Relax...nothing like the stress of AI to mess up your cycle! Good Luck to you. You will get lots of help here so post any questions you have.
  • Options
    JayJayJayJay Posts: 1,192
    edited November -1
    You'll need to fill out the paperwork for home insemination and mail it in. I think you can email a PDF but then they ask you also mail intr hard copy. Once they have processed, they will send you an email saying you are ready to order. And yes they will deliver right to you without a doctor involved at all. :-)

As for the cervix....what you are feeling for is, when you are not fertile, a hard tip that feels like the tip of your Nose. As you get closer to ovulation, it softens, feels a bit flatter and you may notice a small opening. It's always great to get te swimmers as close to the cervix as possible to help them out, but if you think about it, if you were TTC with a man, he would in no way be searching for and aiming his swimmers at your cervix. :-) Main thing is to get them as deep as you can, because the further away from your cervix, the more hostile the vaginal cavity is to sperm.

I always used preseed and saw it as a safeguard. It doesn't help with motility, it just gives the swimmers a nice friendly environment to live in while they are waiting, thus it can help them live longer. If you produce tons of EWCM, it's probably not necessary, because that is what they live in and are protected by. But if you are dry, it's very hard for them to survive. And even if you typically produce a lot of EWCM, TTC, especially the first few tries, can really mess with your cycle. It's one of those can't hurt, might help things. :-)