Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Diaper rash from poo

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited June 2013 in Pregnancy and Babies
I have a specific diaper rash question. Here is the scenario: My lo had a completely perfect little tushy the other day, no signs of redness. Then she pooped. I noticed her pooping. I finished up what ever I was doing at that moment and changed her. It was only a matter of minutes. Maybe I took a bit longer than I thought, but, by the time I changed her there were serious red spots! I put on some anti-yeast cream. It only goes on twice a day and it takes a few days to completely clear up, but it does easily clear up with this stuff.

It really does seem that this only happens after she poops. I could be wrong, but assuming that this occasional rash is from her poop, any thoughts? Is it something I ate? Do I just take too long to change her (which really I ought to change her asap, esp. with poopy anyways and I pretty much do). I don't think this is from the type of diaper she has because, like I said, it seems to be from poop and it's not happening consistently.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Edited to add, I'm open to options other than prescription cream. I don't know if that can cause an imbalance of bacteria on her skin or other problems? But, if using it occasionally isn't no biggie, then I will continue. Oh, and I am going to try cold pressed coconut oil next time, but switch to the prescription if needed. Thanks.
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be from something that you ate. Is she doing any food of her own yet? We found with E that anything with citric acid in it would cause a horrible rash, no matter how fast we changed her. But that was later on, when she was eating her own food (precooked lentils in her case).
    Is it every time she poops, or just sometimes?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    Sunshine4BabySunshine4Baby Posts: 378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 6 month old gets that ! It is from the acid in the poop from something they ate , apples tend to trigger it for my little guy, I put coconut oil on it each diaper change and it clears up within hours!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it is not every time, i dont think its even weekly. she isnt on solids yet. so maybe its something i ate. it does actually look like it burns into her skin! im going to try the coconut oil and pay attention to what i eat. also, i was thinking it could be cacteria in the poop feasting on the corn starch that i often use, but i specifically remember she did not have on any corn starch that morning. im also going to give her diapers a little extra washing/rinsing love, even tho i dont think thats a factor.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure if it's not all that often that it is something that you ate or drank. Check and see if citric acid is in anything, maybe lemonade from a mix, or some type of food that would brown without it (like apples or lentils)...

If you really want to be super crazy about figuring it out, you could log all of your food until it happens again, then move backwards from the rash. H has done this by taking pictures of everything she eats. It's easier than writing it down and by the time the rash comes you can go back by looking at the pics and try to piece it together. It might be nice to know before she does start solids.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    If you can get her cleared up and since it is chronic I would start using some A&D oint. with her diaper changes. I have a 21 yr old disabled daughter---I know not the same but millions of diapers later---she can get broken out in a rash like that just from a poopy diaper sometimes and A&D works like magic unless like you said it is yeast.
  • Options
    OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited June 2013
    We have had that happen whenever DW or Lil D eats too much citric containing foods (he's still bf'd along with solids.) It literally does happen that fast, we went from no issue to him screaming bloody murder as soon as he pooped. It's scary I know, I'd say the advice k&h gave about pics of your food would be a great way to pinpoint it. Good luck!
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png
  • Options
    cocolibbycocolibby Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    This kept happening to Oscar. The things I pinned it down to were my eating spicy foods and the heat, as in the weather. Coconut oil does not help him when he has that scald type of rash. I have to use something that contains natural zinc oxide for a couple of diaper changes, and air out his bottom as much as possible. Or, a little baking soda in his bath gets rid of it immediately. For maintenance, I use CJ's BUTTer, which does contain coconut oil, but for him the blend of ingredients seems to be the magic potion (also it's cloth diaper safe, it got rid of my other son's eczema, and it makes my c-section scar feel better).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks everyone! i did think back to what i could have done differently before this last rash. well a friend left a container of orange juice at my house and i drank a bunch of that. then the rash occurred maybe 24 hours later.

thanks for all the ideas to clear it up fast. the baking soda in bath water is standing out to me. i do let her lay out on puppy pads sometimes, she loves it. :)
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png