Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Red butt from solids :(

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited July 2013 in Pregnancy and Babies
I just started S on solids. I've let her taste things at home here and there. And let her have one meal of baby food at day care starting this Monday. She has been pooping like crazy, every time i turn around. Now her butt is red and raised and it hurts her bad! I've only had this type of rash from poop a couple times before (probably due to something I ate.)

The daycare worker said she fed her a little less than half a jar each day (mon & today) I fed her a little last night, like a fifth of a jar. Side note, I've feed her homemade food to taste, but a little jar food is easy for now. It was peas, then sweet potato the last few days.

She also seemed to start to get a little bit red with everything she has tried (avo, simple green smoothie). Has anyone else's baby pooped a million times and gotten a terrible painful rash when starting solids?! (Can you tell I'm a little upset?) I'm definitaly not allowing more solids for now. But I'm afraid of trying more later! I need moral support and experience. FYI, she loves eating, though!
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Does she take a probiotic?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    CRWHNW0909CRWHNW0909 Posts: 599 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the day care changing her as soon as she poops? That's the only time my babies bum have been red? I also use a combo of olive oil, coconut oil, and Shea butter as their diaper cream. I know at the day care is not possible to let her run naked but once she's home I say air, air air. Good Luck momma!!
    04/11/2011=BFN 06/08/2011=BFN 07/05/2011=BFN 11/25/2011=BFP!!
    Beta 1: 2,489 Beta 2: 5,603 TWINS!!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of jar food is it? Is she having tastes of adult food also?
    Look for any possible sources of citric acid. I would hold off on food for a few days and then start not food at a time to see what's up.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    I second the thoughts on cirtric acid, even now anytime DW eats a lot citric acid foods (she still nurses him twice a day) or Lil D does then he ends up with a sore red butt. Also, is there anything new in your diet, or new citric acid foods in your diet? I know it's not easy seeing your little one in pain, I hope you can figure it out soon!
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Poor babe! R actually pooped a lot less when she started solids. It definitely sounds like something's not sitting right in her tummy. My sister had something similar with her 1st baby, she did try some probiotics and it seemed to help over time, or maybe baby's system matured or got used to the food, can't really say.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stop all solids and reintroduce them one at a time, with only that one new food for at least 3 days before adding in another new food. Then you can figure out if it's just specific foods - like those high in citric acid as some above have mentioned - or the jarred foods (that might use citric acid as a preservative) or whatever the case may be.

Good luck! You'll get it all figured out!
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An interesting list I just found online:

What Infant Products Contain Citric Acid?

Nearly every product with any sort of shelf life typically contains citric acid. Common products for infants that contain citric acid include:

Formulas
    Cereals
    Grainy snacks
    Fruit and vegetable juices
    Baby foods (cans, jars, etc.)
    Antihistamine drugs such as Benadryl
    Fever reducing and pain reducing drugs such as Motrin and Tylenol
    Gripe waters and colic treatment liquids such as Colic Calm
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited July 2013
    thanks everyone.

shanny, i have been thinking about probiotics a lot. can u give suggestions on a brand and how to give it? i will double check anything i give with the pedi office, of course.

CRW, i do think they are changing her a lot as i went home with extra diapers yesterday! she was getting red for me at home when pooing any sizeable amount of food other than breastmilk and i know its gotta be a quick change with poop! should i use a liner with the cream you use since they are oils?

k&h, it was jar peas on mon (she tried a little over the wknd) and then i gave her a little sweet potato on mon evening and sweet potato on tues at daycare and has been pooping ever since. i think i went too fast with the foods. she has tried a little bit of foods leading up to this, but it was a sizable amount on mon and tues.

thanks to onesmall and NM also. so, i wonder if it is the citric acid in the jarred food and/or possibly eating a little bit too much too fast. i think i will do a little bit more reading and do as NM said and go slow! i found a link that cocobay posted that looks good. wholesomebabyfood.com. my lactation consultant said to check kellymom and LLL websites. i think i put pressure on myself to do solids at daycare since S doesn't like to drink a lot of milk at daycare. but she is getting enough and nurses plenty with me (including plenty at night :P !

wish us luck! i really appreciate the support!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    We use Florajen4kids probiotic. It comes in a capsule and we open it and sprinkle it in H's drink. It is refrigerated and therefore keeps better as some non refrigerated ones lose some potency along the way.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Um....I kind of don't remember what we did when she was younger. Seems so long ago. I know we got them at a health food store and sometimes whole foods. I believe you can do a powder like Cory mentioned or I think liquid as well. Definitely keep refrigerated. you can do daily if needed but for some every other day gets better results.
    image_zps64579b54.png