Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Messy eaters

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Emerson is only 2, and I expect a degree of mess based on her age. However I'm starting to wonder If personality might be the culprit here and am wondering if others have messy eaters that got neater with age? Part of our question stems from our super neat first child who can wear white with ease, and wants a wet wipe after each course...
Emerson needs several changes of clothes for day care each day. She stains most of her clothes. These things I don't mind. But the tablecloth and 3ft radius around her eating area drives me nuts. The amou t of food she gets in her hair requires twice as many baths as I would normally do. We went through 2 high chairs. The booster seat, in pristine condition after 2 years with jack, I took out I. The front yard this am and hosed down...
It's just gross...anyone else?
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    A 3 foot radius is pretty big. Is it accidental messy eating or is she deliberately throwing or smearing things?
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might have been exaggerating slightly. We have a dog (Bassett hound) he gets most of the floor food, but the squirmies have her hands all over the chair and seat...it's not naughtiness, just busy, fast, good eating.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rhys will be 3 in November and he's still a SUPER messy eater.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Juliet is 20M and messy too. She shovels fistfuls of food into her mouth, dropping pieces everywhere. She wipes her hands in her hair, under the table, on the arms of the high chair, and on herself. She's just started using a spoon with some grace, but after a few spoonfuls starts getting sloppy and is spilling items everywhere. And she often decides to eat with her fingers foods like ice cream and pudding. Yet, she'll ask for a washcloth after every few bites to wipe her hands and face. Oh, and her new hobby is to flip over other people's plates when she can reach them at the table. Fun times. So I don't know of it's the age or the personality, but a dog is looking good right now to help with the clean up!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Both my biggies used to need to be stripped naked for meal time, and hosed off after. My eldest was the worst,. he was by far the messiest eater I have ever met. I don't remember when it got better, but at nearly 15 he's pretty clean now!

My 11 year old got much neater by about age 3.

Tiny is almost 2, and some days she eats very neat, and other days are a lost cause. I think it's just age and personality, not purposely being messy.
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a Fisher price space saver high chair and you can put it in the tub as you take a shower. Just a thought for those with messy kids and snow approaching. As for the 3-foot radius, I put her next to the wall to contain ot somewhat. Justin is still pretty messy as well because of his fine motor delay, so it's just our normal around here.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Kate isn't crazy, toddler messy anymore but the mess does still amaze me. How can you drink a smoothie THROUGH A STRAW and end up with some all over the outside of your mouth? I never fed her with clothes on for the first 2-3 years. But we love watching those videos now with spaghetti everywhere!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin likes to flick stuff off his chair rather than wipe it up, so our new rule is that he gets to vacuum the kitchen after dinner if he does that. Time to put the kids to work!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    roboneill02roboneill02 Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    Hey there everyone! I'm new here and I get interested to post in this not so old topic. I hope you won't mind guys :) My baby girl is almost 2 years old now and she's still so messy. It makes me think that I must always bring a bib for her wherever we may go because she loves to eat and I want to keep her outfit clean after eating. My friend says plastic one is really good for messy eaters. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My kids didn't like the plastic ones but preferred the ones that are like dish towels with a hole cut out for the head. I think they didn't like the way the plastic felt around their necks.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Shiloh is super neat and hates any mess. She will actually decline foods that are messy (ie: ice cream on a stick). In contrast, a close friend has a child who is a year older. We see her weekly or more and that little girl is a walking disaster! Food everywhere and all over everything and the child is just as happy as can be. Personality definitely plays a part!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png