Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

A Christmas Story: The Birth of “Rocket Man”

earrefinnejearrefinnej Posts: 447
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I was at week 37 in my pregnancy when my midwife recommended I ramp up some treatments to encourage labor, including acupuncture and reflexology, both types of treatments I had also used for fertility in the first place. I scheduled 2 acupuncture appointments for week 38 and two reflexology appointments for week 39. My acupuncture appointments were very relaxing and gave me the best naps of my late pregnancy. By week 39, I was very uncomfortable in my pregnancy and was glad to be working towards welcoming our child into our lives. I had also started doing the Miles Circuit in week 37 to help optimize the baby’s position for an easier labor and delivery. On the day following my first reflexology appointment I started to get mild crampy contractions very occasionally. On Christmas Eve I made some pies for a Christmas gathering with family we planned, and the contractions continued in the evening, varying from every 20 minutes to every 2 minutes – very erratic. I felt like this was “false labor” and tried to get some rest. I woke up with more erratic contractions and worked with my hypnobirthing breathing and visualizations to calm myself and get some more rest.
On Christmas Day, I still had mild contractions and researched prodromal labor on the internet and felt like the description matched what I was experiencing. I was very uncomfortable and was hoping that if it was this “false labor” that it wouldn’t last for days or weeks as some women had indicated in their experiences. My mom and stepdad and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law joined us in the late afternoon around 4 pm for Christmas dessert. By this time I felt like I was in very early labor, again with mild erratic contractions. I could not eat, and knew I needed to drink more, but I also was uncomfortable sitting and was mostly standing or walking about the house while visiting with family and my favorite place to go was to sit on the toilet. My brother-in-law even brought over an exercise ball so I could open my pelvis a little on it, but I couldn’t sit down even on that. I couldn’t even enjoy the pie I had made (and I love pie!) I called the midwife shortly after 5 pm because my contractions had become really regular and very close together at 2 minutes with surges lasting about 30 seconds, but also very mild. She asked about my fluid intake and I admitted I hadn’t drunk enough water and she felt like I was dehydrated, so I should eat and drink and keep my energy up. I slammed some coconut water and Annette went out to get some Gatorade for me. I continued to get more uncomfortable, and decided to call my midwife again. She asked me if I felt crampy or pressure, and at that point it was just crampy. She recommended drinking a glass of wine, and taking a shower to feel better.
A few minutes later I called again to let her know that the sensation had become more like pressure. I had forgotten to time contractions, so I agreed to do that and get back to her. I timed a few contractions and confirmed they were coming every 2 minutes, but again, pretty mild – I could walk and talk through them. She recommended I start a shower. I let Annette know that it was time for everyone to leave, and we said our goodbyes to our guests a little after 6 pm – our dog went with Annette’s brother and sister-in-law because we thought we might be going to give birth soon. I stripped and got into the shower to enjoy the warm water and to relieve the discomfort. I was in the shower for about half an hour – it felt really good to be there and let it roll over my body as I experienced increasingly uncomfortable contractions. I wouldn’t say I was in pain at all, but I do recall thinking that I can manage this, because it will only last a short period of time, and I used some of my visualization and breathing techniques from hypnobirthing in addition to poses I had learned in prenatal yoga. Towards the end of my shower, I had started to make low guttural sounds, and had felt some relief of the pressure by squatting down. I then had my most intense contraction. When I squatted, I felt like I needed to have a bowel movement, and it was an urgent one. I got out and dried off, and went to sit on the toilet for relief and possibly to have a BM. At that point I had another intense contraction and my water broke right into the toilet. Annette was on the phone with the midwife and she confirmed that the sounds I made were real labor and that in 15 minutes we should make our way to the Birthing Inn where we had planned our birth. In another two minutes I had another intense contraction and I felt that more was happening than just laboring – I felt down between my legs and there was a soft bulge coming out of me – a head! Annette was still on the phone with the midwife confirming what was happening. She called 911 while still on the phone with the midwife. In the next contraction, our child was born into my hands. I didn’t push at all! The midwife instructed Annette to go have me lie down. I went over to our bed and examined our child as Annette had given me the phone after talking both to 911 and the midwife for a period of time. I checked for breathing – confirmed he was a boy! He was gurgling, not crying, and I didn’t have my glasses on so I couldn’t answer whether the cord was still pulsating or not. Annette ushered me to lay down, so I did reluctantly get on our clean bedsheets and was talking to the midwife with our son on my thighs. The medics arrived really quick and took our baby to make sure he was OK – suctioned out his mouth, got him to cry, and warmed him up in some blankets. We tried to convince the medics to transfer me to the Birthing Inn, but they wouldn’t do it – outside their protocol they said – so we were transferred to the hospital. Our son needed some TLC because he had gotten a little cold (probably because they didn’t have me hold him skin to skin right away) but was returned to me in the labor and delivery room where they were stitching me up (I had 3 second degree tears). He started nursing like a champ, and we’ve been inseparable ever since. He came into our lives with such a force, we’ve nicknamed him “rocket man” – his actual name is August Wayne – and we are so in love with him.
My midwife was totally taken aback about how fast my labor was, especially as a first time mom – she said this happens only to 3rd, 4th, 5th time moms in her experience. At a post-partum follow-up we found out that she had misunderstood me about how close my contractions were – she thought my erratic contractions were continuing and not regularly 2 minutes apart – so she may not have had the sense of urgency to get me into the Birthing Inn.
I don’t regret anything about the birth –it was relatively painless – it was the natural un-medicated birth I wanted, and our little man is perfectly healthy. I think Hypnobirthing helped me expect a calm labor and birth experience, and that in turn helped me to have that experience, even under the circumstances that were unplanned.

Here's a picture of our handsome man:
AugustWayne-Day6.jpg
v52mnw1ox.png

Comments

• Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Congratulations!!! What a beautiful little babe. Sounds like you all are doing well!

Also, I am insanely jealous of your labor/birth experience...that is pretty much the labor of my dreams. Lucky! :)
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    What a story! Congrats!!
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    That is amazing! You were clearly built for birthing! Welcome to the world, August!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    He's adorable! Congratulations!
    ZVvim5.png
  • Options
    hopeful2014hopeful2014 Posts: 428
    edited November -1
    Congratulations! He's so cute! Very exciting birth story!
    35 years old - SMBC * 3 ICIs, 6 IUIs, 1 ectopic, 1 chemical, blocked left tube.
    Lucky #10 - IVF!
    Two sweet baby girls (IVF 2015, FET 2017)
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    What a great story to tell...I am go glad everyone is fine. We had another mom a few years ago that unexpectedly delivered at home too. Congratulations...he is beautiful.
  • Options
    mj724mj724 Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    Congrats! Definitely a Christmas to remember
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    I love the name!! He's gorgeous.

And I second MNMommies- the whole process, as I read, I was jealous! I really appreciate reading all the birth stories. :)
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    wateringcan7wateringcan7 Posts: 200
    edited November -1
    Wow. Congrats
    #1 IUI 11/19/13 unmedicated BFN
    #2 IUI 12/22/13 clomid 50 mg day 3-7 BFN #3 IUI 12/23/13 BFN
    #4 IUI 2/14/14 unmedicated BFN

th_image-9.jpg
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. What a fantastic entry into the world. Congratulations.
  • Options
    Ent9Ent9 Posts: 215
    edited November -1
    Congratulations ! Wow what a birth story! I am glad you and your baby are doing well :) I too love his name.
    8ft9hgcbx.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    congratulations again! i love his name. he is a handsome little dude.
  • Options
    beyondobsessedbeyondobsessed Posts: 804
    edited November -1
    Wow! What an amazing birth story! And a very beautiful little man :)
    squsqusrd20120522_-6_Our+Little+Man+is.png
  • Options
    jaime527jaime527 Posts: 157
    edited November -1
    You were amazing! I'm sorry you had to come to the hospital and see me cause it wasn't what you wanted, but so glad we were able to keep interventions to a minimum. These moms were fantastic and their son is gorgeous!

:D
    w6xpm7.png
  • Options
    2moms_somewhere2moms_somewhere Posts: 305
    edited November -1
    Oh my goodness! What a story! Congrats! He is adorable!
  • Options
    TurtlehartTurtlehart Posts: 834
    edited November -1
    Wow! What an entry into the world! Congratulations! He is beautiful, and his name is fantastic! :)
    Our sweet boy has arrived after TTC'ing for 4 years!
  • Options
    hopefulltwohopefulltwo Posts: 303
    edited November -1
    congrats! Well now you can say you had a truly all natural homebirth.
    Feb '13 - BFN March '13 - BFN
    April '13 - extra af - bfn ( i still think the smiley lied) reg. af - bfn
    June '13 - bfn July '13 - bfn Aug '13 - BFN Sept '13 - another bfn Oct '13 - bfn
    Nov '13 - well af showed a week early-BFN
    Dec '13 - BFN Jan '14 - BFN
    ah Feb '14 BFPPP!!!!! Expecting him to arrive around November tenth.
  • Options
    earrefinnejearrefinnej Posts: 447
    edited November -1
    jaime527 wrote:
    You were amazing! I'm sorry you had to come to the hospital and see me cause it wasn't what you wanted, but so glad we were able to keep interventions to a minimum. These moms were fantastic and their son is gorgeous!

:D
    It was awesome to have a nurse like you usher us through the hospital experience. We feel so lucky and that you are even connected on this forum. I would love to connect further. PM me if you want to.
    v52mnw1ox.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Quite possibly the best birth story ever! Congratulations to your family!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    Happy Homebirth!! He is so cute. Congrats.
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Wow! What a cool birth story! Congrats!!!
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN