Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

dairy-free, milk substitutes and daycare

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
OK, so I'm stressed about food again. Gosh I wish our babies just nursed for the first 3 years so I wouldn't have to worry about what to feed her!

We are a dairy-free family. I'm not worried about a little bit of dairy in something offered to my daughter, but I am using milk 'substitutes' instead of actual animal milk. I would like to start cutting down on pumping but I don't want the daycare to be giving
LO big ol' glasses of dairy-free milk either. I showed up yesterday and she had already drank her two 4oz bottles of breastmilk which was good. But, there was, what looked like 8oz of (non-gmo) soymilk in her sippy cup (they didn't offer it too her because it had frozen and looked funny, and they wanted me to check it out first which was cool). Therefore, that is 16 full ozs right there! I don't want them to give her that much milk because it has sugar in it and she is getting breastmilk around the clock still. I went ahead and let her have it after daycare and she was gassy all night, waking up crying (I think it was from the relatively huge glass of soymilk?!)

So, my questions are: If your child is dairy-free and goes to daycare how do you deal with it? What type of milk do you have your child drink? Almond, coconut, soy, or another choice? Do you let them have several glasses of it? What about water, how do you have daycare incorporate water? At home I have a sippy cup of water available at all times, so I hadn't worried about that for daycare yet, but now I'm thinking if she had some water, maybe they wouldn't feel the need to hydrate her with so much milk?

Hope this makes sense! I know she doesn't even *need* the milk substitute if I am breastfeeding outside of daycare, but as I wean myself from pumping, I think she will appreciate the liquid food because she picks at solid food still. Thanks.
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    E drank coconut and almond milk at that age. But mostly she drank water, water, water, water.. because that is what she preferred (and still does). I would just have a conversation with the daycare about your preference for her to have water to drink. I'm thinking it's going to be tough for them, however, if she's still having bottles, to transition to thinking of her as a bigger kid rather than a baby. I think that I probably would send in 8-10oz of breastmilk, and then 8oz of unsweetened milk. As you stop pumping and transition to sippy cups she will naturally drink less because a sippy cup is just not as soothing and comforting as a bottle, so she will only be drinking for hydration/nutrition and not for comfort.
    Also, if it becomes an issue with daycare, just don't offer it at all at home, and that will limit it as well.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, great ideas. She only uses a sippy cup now, so that is her "bottle" at daycare already. For some reason I didn't think of un-sweeted milks for at least some of the time! I already planned on milk being mostly for daycare - breastmilk outside daycare for as long as possible.

Here is another question. Is she even allowed to have milks other than cow milk or soy at daycare? I have it in my head that the state regulates this in some way. I don't want to get the daycare in trouble during inspections or something if I have a carton of coconut milk for my daughter in the fridge. Do you know anything about this? I would rather just find out on my own as opposed to asking in the office, I prefer to be armed with my own information first.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good thinking about the nut milk! I would ask about almond milk, if it's a nut-free daycare they won't allow it. I think coconut should pass tho. For regulations it will depend on your state, and the certification level of the daycare, I would think.

Another thing to think about is if she has a straw cup of water, would she be more likely to drink the water? Sometimes the straw cups are easier and she may just go for that instead of putting the effort into a sippy cup (I know E would have done that). (I love the Momma cups, if you're looking for one.. but they are not spill proof)
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    My daughter is much older but has special problems...she likes and handled the almond milk much better but I agree with the water...I found if I keep a jug of just plain tap water in the refrigerator my kids will drink much more than just a sip here and there.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I completely understand wanting to stop pumping after the first birthday...but, there is nothing better than bm so if it were me I would probably put up with pumping for as long as you can. Do you have a stash?

I sent Kate to a Mother's Day Out when she was 21 months. I only put her in for the 1/2 day so she didn't nap there but she did have lunch. At first I felt like I HAD to send something in so I sent milk boxes of rice milk (that's our milk substitute). I quickly learned she was sucking down the milk box and not eating a very good lunch everyday (the magic of straws like K&H mentioned). After the first couple of weeks she just had water, ate better and I didn't have to worry about her having too much rice milk. She now drinks water 9 out of 10 times whenever she is thirsty or having a drink with a meal.

Also, she may have something to say about what kind of milk alternative she likes. I found rice milk to be the most like breast milk. It isn't without its downsides for sure but we drink very little so I am OK with it.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Juliet doesn't like milk and is likely lactose intolerant like me, so I just have them serve her water at daycare. In her class, the daycare provides morning & afternoon snack, we provide the lunch, and they will serve milk or water with her lunch and water the rest of the day. More than half her class doesn't like milk, so it's more common for everyone to drink water. I send a yogurt pouch in her lunch and she'll have that probably 3 days out of 5. Then I just make up the difference at breakfast and dinnertime in other ways.

At her daycare I just had to say, "She doesn't drink milk," and that was enough. But, they're also dealing with many other kids with nut, pea, soy, and gluten allergies; and my son who cannot have such a long list of things that I just send in all his food and have to warn them about sensory bins, finger paints, glue, markers, etc. Saying "no milk" was much easier for them! ;)
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    We've noticed that R eats more on days when she has less milk. Right now (17.5 months), she drinks water from a straw cup throughout the day and nurses for naps & whenever else she asks during the day when I'm able to. She doesn't drink cow's milk, but we don't avoid dairy either - she eats greek yogurt daily and as much cheese as she can beg out of us. Anyways, you said that your daughter is a picky eater - have you noticed any correlation between how much she eats and the amount of milk & milk substitutes she's had that day? Is it possible she might eat more solid food if she had less of the alternative milks?

Also, major kudos to your employer for allowing pumping breaks! They're only required by law to do so until baby reaches a year, so that is awesome that you are able to continue pumping at work. BM is so beneficial to LOs.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Horton, I was hoping you would chime in. I wonder if a note in my daughter file would be sufficient? Thanks for your input and the link. I will have to ask them in the office if I don't get around to scanning the regulations. Good to know there is a solution! I asked the main baby teacher today and she said I can bring what ever I want and that's what they will feed her. For their records I will be sure to discuss it with the office ladies, When S first started daycare, I could have sworn they said I needed some paperwork or a prescription or something.

Shanny, I am only dropping my morning pumping which usually gives me about 3-4 oz. I am continuing to pump in the afternoon which provides about 8 oz. If the afternoon pumping starts to yeald much less, I can always start back up with the morning pumping. Funny how more pumping makes more milk later rather than less! I hope to keep pumping until 18 months but I guess I could consider going longer. :) S still nurses after daycare and over night/early morning. I will begin to consistently offer to nurse before we leave for daycare. I don't do that now because she nurses so much between 5-7 then I would normally pump. FYI, I really dislike the idea of not pumping so thanks for the support to keep going as much as I can!

NM, I'm self-employed and clean houses and offices (generally with eco-friendly products.) I have been pumping before work and after work at home. The daycare is not far from my house and I would pretty much always have to pass my house to get to daycare. It became routine to just stop at home to pump before getting the wee one. However, I used to pump at work when I had a babysitter and all of my clients are completely supportive of my pumping and I can still pump at any of my jobs if I so choose.

Thanks for all the responses and tips!!! Very much appreciated!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found this from the link you provided by going to regulations for daycares.

(6) For children over twenty-four months of age, the center shall provide fluid milk that is vitamin D fortified. Low fat and skim milk shall be vitamin A and vitamin D fortified. Reconstituted dry powdered milk shall be used only for cooking and shall not be used as a beverage.

(7) For children under twelve months of age the center shall use formula or breast milk unless otherwise directed in writing by a licensed physician. For children older than twelve months but under twenty-four months of age, the center shall provide and use whole homogenized vitamin D fortified cow's milk, unless otherwise directed in writing by a licensed physician.

The way it's worded, it doesn't sound like there is an option to have a doctors note to excuse her from milk after 24 months! What do you think? Thanks!!!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    KellyMom had this to contribute: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/employed-moms/childcare-breastfed-baby/

Occasionally, a child care provider will tell mom that baby must switch to whole cow’s milk at a year old. This is due to a misinterpretation of USDA program rules. The USDA’s Child and Adult Care Food Program underwrites the cost of food and labor (for preparing and serving food) at day care centers for both children and the elderly, afterschool care programs, emergency shelters, etc. To keep their funding, businesses that participate in this program must follow certain guidelines when it comes to the foods that are served. After the age of 12 months, the USDA specifies that the child be fed whole milk (which the USDA assumes will be whole cow’s milk), but the FDA notes that “breastmilk may be served in place of fluid milk in the Child Nutrition Meal Programs” (see the first link below). The child care facility will still be reimbursed for the meal if they offer any other foods at that meal (solid foods, etc.). Mom may need to have a note on file saying that she is providing expressed breastmilk for her child (a medical statement is not required), and the facility will need to document that the parent provided breastmilk (or any other foods) so they will get credit for having provided the proper foods even if they did not purchase all of them.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Isn't almond milk Vit D fortified? If so, I would think it fits under the guidelines for older children.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cool! I have a prescription I can give the office for now, but it says soy as a substitute and it's only for 6 months. I will get another prescription which allows more variety and hopefully takes longer to expire. Thanks for the help! I can feel confident when I can make it to the office while it's open. The woman I spoke with had no problem with the diet I outlines in the initial interview of the place. Again I really wanted to be equipped with my own information anyways so thank you!!! Seems I was having a freak out over nothing! Oh yeah, and I don't think she was was upset from digestive distress from the soy milk (although I will still limit it). She went through some serious crying episodes for two nights and now I think it was a development leap issue not tummy issues. She is doing a lot more walking now! But it's sideways! So cute.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png