Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

When to throw in the towel... Updated

blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in Pregnancy and Babies
When I imagine an ideal birth for my son I imagine going into a fast, easy labor naturally that I recover from within a matter of hours. Birds are singing on the tree branches as he comes into the world. Ok that last part is not part of my particular birth fantasy but all of this is clearly fantasy.

I feel like crap and I'm trying to decide when to throw in the towel and beg for or create an intervention to bring labor on sooner rather than later. What do you think? Do you have any experience with induction options?

Here's some back ground... At my 36 week check up last week I had gained 11 lbs of fluid in 7 days and my b/p was 152/85. My OB said fluid gain can be normal and since there wasn't protein in my urine, we don't need to be alarmed just yet. She confirmed that she would start assessing possible induction at 39 weeks because it's the practice's policy to not let first time moms of AMA carry over 40 weeks.

I'm going in for my 37 week check up tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I didn't loose that 11 lbs of fluid. In fact I'm sure I'm larger and I definitely feeling heavier. My feet and ankles are so swollen that flip flops which are two sizes larger than my normal size are almost out of the question by late morning. The swelling in my legs almost reaches my knees by dinner time. My head throbs constantly. I'm easily nauseated and out of breath from the slightest exertion - for example walking more than a block makes me want to stop and sit.

My acupuncturist is willing to perform an acupuncture induction at 38 weeks. I'm seriously considering it. A good and pregnant friend is of the opinion that keeping the baby in until at least 39 weeks is drastically better for him than coming out in week 38. I am going to ask my OB's opinion of course, but I would like the opinion of the forum as experienced parents as well.

Comments

• Options
    emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    blkbrd3 wrote:
    When I imagine an ideal birth for my son I imagine going into a fast, easy labor naturally that I recover from within a matter of hours. Birds are singing on the tree branches as he comes into the world. Ok that last part is not part of my particular birth fantasy but all of this is clearly fantasy.

I feel like crap and I'm trying to decide when to throw in the towel and beg for or create an intervention to bring labor on sooner rather than later. What do you think? Do you have any experience with induction options?

Here's some back ground... At my 36 week check up last week I had gained 11 lbs of fluid in 7 days and my b/p was 152/85. My OB said fluid gain can be normal and since there wasn't protein in my urine, we don't need to be alarmed just yet. She confirmed that she would start assessing possible induction at 39 weeks because it's the practice's policy to not let first time moms of AMA carry over 40 weeks.

I'm going in for my 37 week check up tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I didn't loose that 11 lbs of fluid. In fact I'm sure I'm larger and I definitely feeling heavier. My feet and ankles are so swollen that flip flops which are two sizes larger than my normal size are almost out of the question by late morning. The swelling in my legs almost reaches my knees by dinner time. My head throbs constantly. I'm easily nauseated and out of breath from the slightest exertion - for example walking more than a block makes me want to stop and sit.

My acupuncturist is willing to perform an acupuncture induction at 38 weeks. I'm seriously considering it. A good and pregnant friend is of the opinion that keeping the baby in until at least 39 weeks is drastically better for him than coming out in week 38. I am going to ask my OB's opinion of course, but I would like the opinion of the forum as experienced parents as well.

Just on the topic of acupuncture....I tried it to induce labor at 37 weeks... it did not work for me. I ended up going into labor at 40 weeks + 1 day. Maybe it will work for you! good luck!
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Basically, the research shows that it does make a difference in short and long term health of the baby. So as long as there isn't a medical problem, it's better to hold off until 39 weeks and best to let labor start on its own. Best wishes on your appointment tomorrow! Solidarity, sister! Those last few weeks are HARD and exhausting. "Sleep while you can" - HA, I wish. I know I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep very well in the last week or two.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    I know my situation was very different, but I wish that I had ever made it to the point you are at. My boys had a very, very easy road in the special care nursery, but I still saw how they struggled with things a full term baby wouldn't necessarily have struggled with.

MNMommas brought up that great info above. Each day and each week you can keep that baby inside is awesome. Honestly, I even think not allowing a first time mom of AMA carry over 40 weeks seems strange and I haven't read any research that implies there is more risk, but I don't spend my time researching that.

You are SO close and I know it doesn't feel like it, but it is a wonderful gift to keep that baby inside every single day you can. Right now, your body is providing everything your baby needs. If your blood pressure spikes, that can be a radically different situation, but I would only move towards an induction if there was an emergency. If baby isn't ready to come out, any inductions will either just fail and nothing will happen or you will end up on the fast track to a c-section.

And in my experience, the water weight disappeared very, very quickly as soon as I was up and moving about. (Which was not for a few days after my c-section, but I did end up in the ICU.)

Put your feet up, drink tons and tons of water, eat lots of protein, and lay on your left side for the next three weeks. ;)

You can do it!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    earrefinnejearrefinnej Posts: 447
    edited November -1
    I would recommend waiting until 39 weeks as well. I had acupuncture in week 38 to help encourage labor and then reflexology late in the week. My baby was born at 39 weeks, 1 day. I know how tough the last days are. They go by in a flash and soon you will miss being pregnant.
    v52mnw1ox.png
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for your input. It was helpful to hear your perspectives as well as read the studies provided.

Update: I just saw my OB this morning. The great news is that I felt heard when I said something is wrong and that I'm worried. We confirmed I'm up 7 lbs from last week. This is after spending the week being horizontal for a minimum of 10 hours per day. My BP is still in the 155/85 range. I now have protein in my urine.

We had blood work and a non-stress test. The baby hated the sensor so he did a great job of kicking it and moving around during the test. I start a 24-hour urine test tomorrow. I'll follow up with my OB on Monday or Tuesday for another non-stress test.

My OB is 100% supportive of attempting to induce through acupuncture next week. From her experience she's never seen a baby delivered who she thought wasn't ready through acupuncture or other less invasive induction methods. She also feels that if my symptoms progress next week like they have this week (vision disturbances, constant head ache, continued fluid retention, etc.) that I'll need to be induced in a hospital setting.

We also spent a great deal of time talking about foods which might gently inspire me to push off some fluid which I'll start eating as soon as my 24 test is done. If I could get even a couple of lbs of fluid off I think I would feel 100% better, my lab work would improve, and I would be more than willing to wait as long as it takes.
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    I has pre-e, it's the worst! Hopefully some of these methods will give you some relief.
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    At just shy of 37 weeks I turned into a water balloon with BP lower than yours, but much higher than normal for me. I started the 24-hour urine test and was told that depending on results, they would deliver the next day or induce at week 39. I passed the test - no pre-e - and was very relieved everything was okay with the baby. Even though I did not feel everything was okay with me! If you can make it two more weeks it really would be best. Hoping for the best for you!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png