Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Car Trip with Two Month Old?

scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
We are planning a trip to Chicago at the end of next week. It's about a 4-4 1/2 hour drive. I know we will have to stop once, probably, to feed and change her. That part I am not worried about. She usually sleeps in the car and is generally pretty easygoing.

It's an overnight trip, leaving Thursday morning and returning Friday evening.

What should I pack? I am thinking we will take her pack & play to sleep in (she currently sleeps in it in the bassinet top part in our room at night), swaddle wrap, clothes, bibs, burp cloths, sposies (not dealing with cloth and wetbags in hotel room for 2 days), wipes, soothies, sunblock (we will likely be outside at some point), sun hat, receiving blanket, nursing cover, etc.

But my real issue is this: we are currently breastfeeding, but I have to supplement (please don't lecture me about how formula will kill my supply; I have been to see 2 different LCs numerous times and was told in the end that my low production is related to my PCOS and I will just have to supplement for the rest of her infancy). What do I do about the bottles? I don't want to bring the whole jug of nursery water and canister of formula back and forth in the car. I'm afraid of spills (brand new car, would like to keep it nice for as long as possible). I have some ready to drink bottles that could work and be convenient, but they are 8oz bottles and she drinks like 4-6oz a day. If I bring 2, I won't use all of the 2nd one and I can't bear to think of tossing it out (that stuff's expensive!) Will I have to bring a cooler?

Also, I plan to pump while there because I normally pump a couple times a day at least, to help with production and because I am back at work now and need to keep some in the freezer. There is a refrigerator in the hotel room, so I could pump and store milk in the fridge there, but on the way back if I do bring a cooler, will the milk stay good on ice on the 4 hour drive back? Should I just not bring my pump and forget about it for the extent of the trip?

I'm sorry if these are obvious answers, but I'm stressing a bit over it and baby isn't sleeping through the night yet, so my brain doesn't function as well as it once did.
ZVvim5.png

Comments

• Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Your pumped milk will be fine on ice for the 4 hour trip back, so no worries there! As for the sunblock, you might want to do some quick research. If I remember correctly, the recommendation is generally not to put sunblock on babies less than a year old, and 2 months old is very, very far from that. Hats are great, light blankets to make shade, a pop-up travel tent (we have an awesome one from Target that we used a lot when our littles were newborns). You probably already have this covered, but just want to put it out there in case you haven't - if you do put sunblock on her, can you get something without all of the regular chemicals? ThinkBaby is a great one.

It sounds like you have thought of pretty much everything. :) Just remember, if you do happen to forget something, you will find that you are either OK without it or you will run to the store there and get one. Have a great trip!
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I have to supplement too especially since my kiddo won't breastfeed and I can't always pull out my crystal ball so I can get in a pumping session in 20 minutes before he wakes hungry.

I admit that I'm paranoid about having enough for my kiddo to eat. It's possible I over do it. I have a stash of individual sized bottled waters in my trunk for me and for making formula. I bring one or more dry ready to mix bottles in addition to our current bottle of whatever if we are going to be away from the house for a lengthy period of time. These are bottles with enough dried formula to make either 1 to 3 oz bottles depending on where his appetite is.

I also pack at least one or more of the little instant ready to drink formula bottles in the diaper bag just in case of emergencies.

If I was traveling away from home I would bring the above as well as an adapter to pump in my car. Then I could pump either just before or just after the kiddo ate in the car. I would also pack my bottle brush, my small wash basin I use specifically for washing bottles and pump supplies, as well as bottle soap. I like to bring a small bottle of dishwashing liquid and a bottle of Medela's no scrub washing liquid.

Most of our travel away from home has been to stay at the hospital (long story here). Bringing our own washing supplies helps ease my mind and ensures that I don't accidentally get hie food source in contact with stray chemicals and/ or germs. If you don't have a designated basin you might look at large long plastic lidded food storage containers. You could use the container to store cleaning supplies and perhaps extra parts, etc. while traveling and then use it as a basin to wash things up when you need to.

Lastly I would investigate using steam bags to disinfect the parts or see if you can boil them once or twice at a friend or family member's house while you're away. (Edit - I didn't pay attention to the length of your trip. This might not be necessary on such a short trip.)

Since breast milk stays good at room temperatures for between 4 to 10 hours depending on the temperature it's kept at and which source you check, I might pump on the trip with the intention of offering breast milk while traveling instead of bringing it home to freeze or using formula on the road. I try to pump just before we go anywhere so we're using a bottle of breast milk instead of depending on an active bottle of formula while we're out an about.

Sorry to go on and on. I hope this was helpful.
  • Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you asked this. We haven't had a vacation is so long I hardly remember what "time off" feels like. We plan on taking a trip with the baby in her 3rd month, before my wife and I go back to work. We were discussing the logistics a couple of days ago. Glad to know this is not unfathomable.
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for thr suggestions!

MNmommas, I have a zinc-only sunblock from Honest Company that has no other chemicals in it. No worries. We are pretty chemical-free here. Oh, I also have California Baby sunblock but it came in a set with other CB products and I didn't think to check the ingredients. I will.

Blkbrd3, I am weird about whst water I use for formula mixing. It has to be flouride free and steam distilled. I am too paranoid to use regular bottled water. So I would have no choice but to bring a big gallon jug with a pop top.
    ZVvim5.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited May 2014
    I think you're over-thinking the formula. Just put some of the powder in ziplocs or a Munchkin Formula Dispenser ($4-5 at most stores). Bring some nursery water and make formula as needed :)

PS - I would not bring the pump for this trip. Or if you feel you must, pump and feed her but do not plan to store.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited November -1
    Hey, I think you are on the trip already. I just wanted to commend you for getting support and making breastfeeding work for you. I think it sounds great! And you are kind of more impressive because you pump, breastfeed, and prepare formula! Just a little high five for you and your nursling. (I think I may have told you something similar before but it is worth repeating. :) Safe travels.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. Tge trip is this coming week. I think I've figured out the formula thing. Now my wife wants to get Cordelia her own little kid suitcase! So this weekend we are shopping for one, I guess.

I was totally just going to pack the diaper bag with extra stuff. Who knew she needs her own luggage!?!

(Side note: it appears DW is getting into the habit og buying the baby an outfit or toy every time we are at a store. This might be bad.)
    ZVvim5.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    This is a perfect time for a trip with Cordelia...as long as she is fed and dry she is good to go. To make life easier you might consider, if you are using powder formula to just measure out a feedings worth in bottles or you can get some tiny containers with lids at grocery or department store even the Dollar Stores have them very cheap, add the water later... For the times you will be out just fill up bottles with the water and add that formula and you are ready to go. I would always plan one bottle more than you think you will need...traffic or unexpected delays will make for a stressful time. With my big and crazy family I did this all the time even on an everyday basis. You would be surprised how time saving it is not to have to stop and measure all the time. My new little girl I am adopting is on special formula and I plan to premeasure for her too.