Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Kindle Time

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Shiloh has a Leapfrog Leappad and it's been great for games and things. But I was thinking that now that she's reading, it may be time to upgrade to a real e-reader. I have the Kindle Paperwhite and it's perfect for me. No games. Just books in black and white. For her though, she will need a real Kindle. In color for books with pictures, and the ability to download games. I know that I can set parental controls for internet access.

I really have no clue on which Kindle to get. I started googling and my eyes went blurry from wading through fire, hd, hdx, 7 inch, 8.9 inch, and more. What should I be looking for?
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Just get the best one. It's really worth the extra money. The volume control, weight etc is all worth it.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I've had the Kindle Fire for a few years and really like it. When it dies/breaks I'll upgrade to the latest. Just make sure you get a good case. I teach computer and have 40 iPads that 300 kids use every week. We bought the Trident Kraken cases (Trident makes cases for iPads, Kindles, phones, etc.) and I've watched the iPads get dropped repeatedly on tile floor probably 3-5 times a day. Only one in two years got a single light crack in the screen.

I prefer the cases that have two pieces that snap together (one is the back and one is the front plus a screen protector). Otherwise you get a flimsy plastic screen cover you install yourself and it never works because it gets all these air bubbles under it. I just went to the Trident site and watched their video. It looks like the Kraken AMS has the good screen protector. BUT, buy the case off amazon.com. It's still sold by Trident, but they're less expensive there for some reason.

My Kindle Fire is an e-reader, can download Android games, has all the bells and whistles I need it to have. Newer models probably have a lot more memory and some better compatibility with websites. A lot of the sites I access on it have a decent mobile version so it's the same as viewing them on your smart phone. There are still some sites I have trouble with, like you can't watch a youtube video on it, but you can download it and then watch it. It won't stream directly from the site. I'm not sure if that issue has been corrected in newer models. I love that I can dim the screen for night reading (aka surfing Facebook or watching Netflix before bed). When I co-slept this came in very handy . . . as well as the closed-captioning when watching movies.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I have the kindle fire had and it's pretty nice. I believe I have the 7 not sure but especially for kid books with bigger front usually it works great (and my books too) I just recently went and bought a second and the fire hd's are now really cheap because of the new thing out.
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    My kids have Kindle Fires. I'd recommend getting as much memory as possible. We regularly have to delete some games to make room for others, and it's frustrating because sometimes they lose their progress in the game. Honestly if you can manage the initial cost, I'd get an iPad and just use the Kindle app.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited November -1
    Both of my kids have the kindle fire HD -- the 7" one. We also have Ipads, but those are ours. I strongly prefer the 7" screen size for kids. Mine are 3 and 4, but my 7 and 9 year old nieces use them and they are still the perfect size. I feel the ipad is huge for a kid, but as an adult that has an Ipad mini and prefers it over the standard Ipad, I guess that is to expected.

We haven't had any issues with storage, and we don't have the highest available. I think its 16 GB? We have quite a few apps downloaded, but I regularly clean them out, because as they have gotten a bit older, they have outgrown some apps.

I love the parental controls on the kindle. I can lock down all of the features and things they do not need to be into :)

I don't know what the current models of kindles are, so I am just going off of what we have.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I have an iPad for work ... that I never use because I'm at my desk all day on my real computer. When I first got it I was so happy that I would be able to read Kindle books. Then I received the Paperwhite as gift and forgot all about the iPad app. I think I'll download the app and see how Shiloh does with that. Depending on how much she likes it (and how careful she is with *my* toys), then I'll revisit the idea of getting one of her own!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    shauna2710shauna2710 Posts: 769 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an iPad mini and a kindle fire HDX 8.9. I like the kindle better so I have Bailey the iPad. She's only 9 months actual (5 months adjusted) so she doesn't have a preference yet. As long as it plays Baby Einstein, she's happy.
    Cycle 6 was my lucky cycle! BFP!!!
    EDD 12/13/2013
    It's identical TWINS! They're GIRLS!
    7/20/2013 Sweet Baby A lost her battle with IUGR.
    8/26/2013 Feisty Baby B was born via emergency CSection 16 weeks premature