Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Cures for itching?

mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Maeve came home from day care with a few hives on Friday - we thought they were big mosquito bites. By Saturday morning, it was clear that she was developing a rash; she got a fever that evening, and this morning she woke up looking much, much worse. She's more spots than skin - we hit the pedi's office for Sunday hours, and his first word was, "wow." As bad as it looks, it's apparently just a viral rash and should go away within a week, but it's driving her crazy. She's on Claritin once a day backed up with Benadryl every six hours - we're also using cortizone cream and doing oatmeal baths. Any other suggestions to stop the itching? She's absolutely miserable :(
fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg

Comments

• Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I don't have any advice, but I hope she feels better soon! I'm itchy just thinking about her! :(
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Benadryl and cortisone are my go-to answers. Um. My advice is in conflict but try to keep her cool but covered in long sleeves/pants. Preferable soft cottons that won't chafe. If she could stay in fitted jammies that could help. She may still itch but ability to scratch (and do further damage) will be somewhat reduced.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are already doing everything I would be doing....we deal with excema on a regular basis with Emerson and I get rashes easily including poison oak. There is nothing that really helps. I use grandpas pine tar soap, but when I tried it on Em she woke the next am with new hives, so I don't recommend that on babies. Just make sure bath water is cool or luke warm, and that you pat her dry, or air dry if possible. Good luck...I know it feels like forever when they are uncmofrtoable.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Oatmeal bath? Keep her cool - don't let her over heat.

Lots of good advice above.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear your kiddo has hives. I hope she feels better soon. Adding baking soda to bath water can help reduce itching.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys. This is the craziest rash I have ever seen :( It's turned into a solid mass of discoloration on her arms and legs - she looks almost sunburned. Her torso is still all spotty, and her face is splotchy but seems to be clearing up a little bit. Poor little thing STILL has a fever - not high, but persistent. I really hope she starts to feel better soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much for the advice... And she doesn't. Rash is fading but the fever keeps coming back - taking her to the docs tomorrow for another look.