Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Pros & Cons of D&C/Other Options? (Missed Miscarriage at 12+ weeks)

eemabirdeemabird Posts: 74
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hello ladies. Apologies for being a downer on the TTC board, but I wasn't sure how many people read the miscarriage/loss forum where I have posted the whole sad story, and I am really looking for some straightforward advice from those of you have been through this process.

Yesterday at my regular OB appointment, it was discovered that our baby had died in utero. There was no heartbeat. There was no warning that this might happen. No cramping, no bleeding, etc., and we had seen a healthy heartbeat and appropriate growth at 8 weeks.

I am scheduled for a D&C on Friday. Frankly, I am petrified of the procedure. However, there are no signs that my body plans to miscarry on its own any time soon, and I don't know how much longer I can live with the reality of our dead baby inside me. I also don't know how much longer I can handle the dread of anticipating it or the reality of it just happening randomly happening on its own at some unknown time in the future.

My doctor didn't really discuss medical management as much of an option. She basically said that while she doesn't keep "the abortion pill" she could get some from a colleague but that she didn't think this was a great option since there was still a fairly high likelihood that I wouldn't pass all of the tissue naturally and end up with a D&C in the end.

For those of you who have been through this, what option did you choose and what were the pros and cons.

If I do elect to have the D&C, what can I expect.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    truemiraclestruemiracles Posts: 63
    edited June 2014
    I'm so sorry you're going through all this. Words can't even express. Please don't feel sorry for reaching out. These things are sadly part of the TTC journey for many of us. I just wanted to share that I feared a D&C with my miscarriage and I had talked to my mom about it who had one in the past for uncontrolled bleeding when she was 45. She told me they numbed her up and she didn't feel anything, just felt a bit crampy for a day or two after.

I ended up not needing one as I miscarried naturally, but it helped me to know that the procedure wasn't as scary as I thought. I know there is a huge emotional toll on you that she didn't have to deal with for her D&C, but from what I understand the procedure is fairly quick and painless.

I was getting positive pregnancy tests after miscarriage so I went in to look for remaining tissue and I was fully prepared to do a D&C on the spot if they required because I didn't want to sit around and wait for it to be over. I knew my baby had passed and I didn't want to drag it out, so I think you're making the best decision you can given the circumstance.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.
    TTC #2
    April '14 - BFN
    May '14 - BFP (angel baby, 4 wks)
    June '14 - BFP (angel baby, 5 wks)
  • Options
    JustThe5OfUsJustThe5OfUs Posts: 61
    edited November -1
    I had a D&C years ago during an unplanned pregnancy that resulted in a blighted ovum. My doctor told me the same thing, my body didn't have any plans of passing the tissue anytime soon and highly recommended the procedure. They also told me passing the tissue at home could cause complications and lead to infection, it was all something I didn't want to deal with so I opted for the procedure.
    The D&C itself was pretty simple. I was awake but had some medications, it was quick then they had me rest for a little while. After I was discharged I was told to stay on bed rest for a few days, use a heating pad for cramps, etc.
    In regards to your loss, there isn't much I can say to comfort you but find peace in that everything happens for a reason and you can try again.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I responded to your other post. But I have to say, I don't know that I could choose to have the d&c, at least not so soon. I would be terrified that the doctor was wrong.
    Would they do an ultrasound with a d&c just to be sure that the doctor was right?
    I hate that this happens, and especially so far along when you're just at the point where you're starting to feel good and secure. I'm so so sorry.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    eemabirdeemabird Posts: 74
    edited November -1
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I very much appreciate the kindness I have found on this forum.
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    I am so, so sorry that you have this awful decision to make. It sucks no matter what you decide to do, because in the end, it's all about your sweet, precious child not being alive. Big hugs to you, and best wishes for you to experience your grief and find healing and peace.

Our 2nd baby stopped growing at 9 weeks and we found out in our u/s half a week later. DW was carrying. She wanted to let her body handle it, and our midwives were OK with that. So we went on with life, she went on working but did talk to her bosses so she had the go-ahead to leave work at anytime should she start cramping/bleeding/etc. She carried our dead baby for about a month before she went into a mini-labor late one night, and then the baby & sac passed later that morning. We cried & hugged & buried our baby under our apple tree, taking a few photographs for a memory book. It was grueling and painful to let it all happen naturally, but very healing to do it that way. DW told me over and over again that she is so glad she did it at home and we went through the whole process together. I'm glad too, it was healing for both of us and we were able to celebrate our baby's brief in-utero life.

For us, skipping the D&C was the best option. BUT, we didn't have any out-of-the-womb kids running around yet at that point. At this point in our lives, we might've made a different choice.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    tryingfornumber7tryingfornumber7 Posts: 10
    edited November -1
    I had my dnc yesterday and it wasn't as bad physically as I thought it would be but emotionally was a bit harder. I was terrified of a natural mc though because is the pain I've heard about so I felt it was the best option for me. Now I am waiting to ttc again ASAP. So sorry for your loss:(